U.S. 'Correctional Population' Hits New High-- WHY?

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Why do you suppose this is?

U.S. 'Correctional Population' Hits New High
By FOX BUTTERFIELD

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/26/n...n=02cfb1306c875ba4&ei=5006&partner=ALTAVISTA1

The number of Americans under the control of the criminal justice system grew by 130,700 last year to reach a new high of nearly 6.9 million, according to a Justice Department report released today.

The total includes people in jail and prison as well as those on probation and parole. This is about 3.2 percent of the adult population in the United States, the report said.

The growth in what the report termed the "correctional population" comes at a time when the crime rate nationwide has been relatively stable for several years. It also comes when many states, faced with budget deficits, have passed new, less strict sentencing laws in an attempt to reduce the number of inmates.

The report does not address why the number of men and women in jail and prison and on probation and parole has continued to increase. But experts say the most likely reason is the cumulative effect of the tougher sentencing laws passed in the 1990's, which led to more people's being sent to prison and being required to serve longer terms.

The report found that there were 691,301 people in local and county jails and 1,387,269 in state and federal prisons last year, for a total of 2,078,570. That was an increase of 3.9 percent in the jail population and 2.3 percent in the prison population.

At the same time, the report said, there were 4,073,987 Americans on probation at the end of last year, an increase of 1.2 percent from the end of 2002, and 774,588 on parole, up 3.1 percent.

In general, people on probation have been placed there after being convicted of a crime instead of being sent to jail or prison. People on parole have usually already served prison time and are kept on parole for further supervision.

About 41 percent of adults on parole last year were black; 40 percent were white.

The number of women on parole has steadily increased in recent years, the report found. The percentage of parolees who were women was 13 percent at the end of 2003, up from 10 percent at the end of 1995. This increase reflects a slow but steady growth in the number of women being arrested for and convicted of serious crimes.

Of those people discharged from parole in 2003, 38 percent were returned to prison, either because of a technical violation like failing a drug urine test or because they were charged with committing a new crime. Another 9 percent absconded and could not be located by law enforcement, the report said.

The 3.1 percent increase in the number of people on parole, the biggest in at least a decade, troubles many police and prosecutors, because they believe that newly released inmates are likely to return to a life of crime and are a major source of violence in some cities, including Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles.

Texas led the nation with 534,260 people on probation or parole, followed by California, with 485,039.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
The US has the highest percentage, for a prison population/total population in the world. Yet some still say the death penalty helps drop the crime rate. And that guns help reduce the number of crimes also. :roll:

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Death penalty doesnt work-- no doubt about that.

Gun control plays a role, of course-- then again, most crime is committed by illegal guns, outside of gun control. Toronto's rising crime rate (that is, guns used in the commission of a crime) is on the rise.

The real question to me is, what is it in the US that contributes to crime?

Its not a simple question. For example, what may be lightly punished in Canada may be more harshly dealt with here, in the States-- but that doesnt mean that there is less crime.

What is it that makes crime more prevalent in an age where were supposed to be more 'aware'?

Age old question, I suppose.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
researchok said:
Death penalty doesnt work-- no doubt about that.

Gun control plays a role, of course-- then again, most crime is committed by illegal guns, outside of gun control. Toronto's rising crime rate (that is, guns used in the commission of a crime) is on the rise.

The real question to me is, what is it in the US that contributes to crime?

Its not a simple question. For example, what may be lightly punished in Canada may be more harshly dealt with here, in the States-- but that doesnt mean that there is less crime.

What is it that makes crime more prevalent in an age where were supposed to be more 'aware'?

Age old question, I suppose.

Simplified answer. Right Wing = Law and Order.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
OK...I'll bite...

Are you saying law and order isnt part of the 'left'?

Seems thats more radical than the libertarians!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It's a combination of things. US drug laws, poor social programs, racial profiling and inequities, a lack of rehabilitation programs, economic inequities, a culture that puts money before people, lax to non-existent gun control, over-crowding in large cities, and probably the myth of the cowboy. I know I've missed a bunch, but you get the picture.

Doesn't Canada have the second or third highest incarceration rate, btw?

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Country Incarceration Rate/100K

Russia 690

United States 730

Belarus 505

Ukraine 390

Latvia 375

Lithuania 360

Singapore 287

Moldova 275

Estonia 270

South Africa 265

Cook Islands 225

Hong Kong 207

Romania 200

Czech Republic 190

Thailand 181

Poland 170

Slovakia 150

South Korea 137

Kiribati 130

New Zealand 127

Portugal 125

Fiji 123

Hungary 120

Canada 115

Luxembou 115

Bulgaria 110

Scotland 110

Brunei Darussal 110

Macau 107

Spain 105

Northern Ireland 105

Malaysia 104

China 103

England/Wales 100

France 95

Germany 85

Italy 85

Austria 85

Turkey 80

Switzerland 80

Belgium 75

Netherlands 65

Sweden 65

Denmark 65

Finland 60

Greece 55

Croatia 55

Norway 55

Ireland 55

Malta 55

Solomon Islands 46

Iceland 40

Japan 37

Bangladesh 37

Slovenia 30

Cyprus 30

Philippines 26

Cambodia 26

India 24

http://christianparty.8m.com/incarceration.htm

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
The source sucks. But I checked the data they got for the chart, and its accurate, and trust worthy.

On another note, that site is Christian. They blame the crime rate on Women. Then Christian religions say they arnt sexist?

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Im not sure the numbers tell the whole story.

For example, is crime that much lower or are sentencing guidlines that different in different countries?

I think its crime rates that need to be compared-- but even then, why are there such huge variances?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I must have seen a stat for G-8 or G-7 countries. I can't think why else I thought we were second or third.

We need some kind of index that takes both crime rates and incarceration rates into account. I'm sure there is a lot of data out there that does just that, but I don't really have the time to look it up right now.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Thats a good idea, Numure.

Still, like Rev said, a new kind of index is needed.

Now THERES a job-- compiling that data.

It would be a popular website, I'd bet.

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
7000 ft. asl and on full auto
researchok said:
Why do you suppose this is?

U.S. 'Correctional Population' Hits New High
By FOX BUTTERFIELD

I think the answer is very simple, but then I'm a simple man. 228 years of passing laws. They have made everything illegal. Some legislator in New York a few years back wanted to outlaw candy that looked like a gun. If that isn’t a law that’s a waste of time…

Combine the far too many laws on the books with overzealous prosecutors who are trying to make a name for themselves and you get a lot of people in jail.

The more laws, the less justice. - Marcus Tullius Cicero

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
There was a time-- not that long ago-- that argument would have made sense.

Today however, in the litigious society we live in, laws are required to define crime, rights, priviledge, etc.

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
7000 ft. asl and on full auto
One of the current trends that bothers me most is this idea of outlawing stupidity.

An expression of anger (flipping one the "bird") is in some states now called "menacing" and against the law. Rude maybe, but illegal?

A mother takes her eye off her child for a few seconds. The child burns himself on the stove or falls down the stairs. Tragic? Yes. A human error? Yes. Criminal? Usually not. I'm not advocating criminal negligence. I'm talking about typical human mistakes that have tragic results and result in prosecution.

Is it necessary for government to demand my SS# when I apply for a fishing license so they can track deadbeat dads? Why must government assume you might be a bad guy and demand you prove otherwise?

Bah! Don't get me started.

crash

Nominee Member
Jul 27, 2004
Nova Scotia
Tell me about it partner....

I am afraid that the western world is falling into a super sensitive nanny state mentality....

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Dead-beat dads and negligent parents don't usually end up in prison though, Paco. There's a big difference between incarceration rates and laws actually being broken.

The highest incarceration rates are for drug-related crime. Of those the most common charge is possession of marijuana. I'd wager that there aren't many here who haven't been guilty of that a time or two.

To make things worse, rich people do not go to jail for that sort of crime. They rent expensive lawyers and get off completely or at least avoid jail. Poor people, on the other hand, end up in prison. The poorer they are, the more time they are likely to do for a given crime. Race plays a major role too.

That's not just in the US. Canada has similar problems in its justice system.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Pot smoking,

It's hilarious here in Vancouver, cause you can't smoke cigarettes anywhere in a public place but we got cannabis cafe's and it's AOK to spark one of them babies up.

Personally, can't understand all the hoopla over a bunch of giggling laid back people who have a bad case of the munchies. Now driving while under the influence I do have a problem with.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Except that people who have been smoking pot are unlikely to drive and if they do drive tend to be exceptionally careful.

In that regard it is a much safer drug than alcohol, or even caffeine.