Turning 21

choppie

Nominee Member
Mar 24, 2005
I don't wanna turn 21..... :?
I feel so old already. (due to a car accident 3 years ago) I just think that more responsibility is too much responsibility and our alberta government asks for too much money... I should be excited about being 21 and I'm not. :(
Grrr...
Sure I'm whining but only because I can..... :roll:

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I'm 29! How do you think I feel? I look young though. Everyone wants to see my id when I tell them how old I am. But I dont care. I'm in the best shape of my life. Every second of your life your the oldest you've ever been. Everyone ages. Just enjoy your life.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
gawd, 21. just a very faint memory now. i think it was an okay age. i got married when i was 21. moved away to the eastcoast. worked my ass off and supported my husband so he could go to dalhousie....grr. maybe it wasn't all that great after all. :evil:

i know i was idealistic. does that help?

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
I was married and on the way to becoming a Dad, when I turned 21. Had recently left Damncouver with everything I owned in a 1954 Volkwagen van. Hoped to get work in Prince George - never made it, stayed in the Okanagan and got busy.
I never got my "cross-Canada" trip on a motorcycle - my wife never got to spend that ONE winter ski-bumming at Whistler, either. Always felt bad about that..... for both of us. Ah well.

Later in the first year of marriage; A fine son, who was always to be proud of, and now is in his 30's himself and making darn good money in IT (unfortunately, it requires him to be in Damncouver, so the money that would make him an Upper-Middle-Class earner up here is a bit better than "gettin'-by" money there).
But a bit more than 2 years later, he was followed by another son, who made me JUST as big a "proud daddy" (and, same old shit - thats where he wound up, too - in management in the largest Canadian Bank) *** heavy sigh ***

HOWEVER, this July, my wife and I look forward to our 33rd Anniversary - and very happily, I might add. For the first time we have a site at an RV Park on Shuswap Lake, in the southern BC Interior, for our RV. We look forward to spending many a soft warm evening around a campfire, with our "guard-cat" Cass looking on from the steps of the 5th wheel. (This MAY include some ingestion of carbon-based liquid alcohol Compounds ;) )

choppie, I will try to avoid the old trite sayings about how "your whole life is ahead of you", and "you'll look back fondly on these days" - it's NOT always going to be easy! Honest - I well remember, even at 2 and 1/2 times your age, when I was worried, yes even a tad scared, about the immediate future. Even the long-term future, sometimes.

But it'll happen.

Trust me......

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Ya got me a tad worried on this early Thursday morn, choppie - I dont suppose youre even old enough to remember this song (called "Touch of Grey", if you're ever interested) by a long-ago band named the Grateful Dead:

"It's a lesson to me
The deltas and the east and the freeze
The ABC's we all think of
Try to give a little love.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
but it's all right.

Cows giving kerosene
Kid can't read at seventeen
The words he knows are all obscene
but it's all right.

I will get by - I will get by - I will get by-y-y ....
I will survive!"

choppie

Nominee Member
Mar 24, 2005
:lol: I don't know that song....but I was enlightened by your story... Congrats on being a father and I hope your summer is a soft and warm one!!! I'm over turning 21 now...on monday I will just suck it up :toothy2: and I'm sure I will think back to this when i'm older and laugh my way through a hip replacement or something....hehehe