Trudeau Politics

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Trudeau mocked for goofy 'Seinfeld' dance at GTA street festival: 'Embarrassing the whole country'

Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Published Jul 03, 2024 • Last updated 12 hours ago • 3 minute read

Trudeau dance
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau dances at a food stall while greeting people at the Taste of Asia festival in Markham, Ont., Friday, June 28, 2024. Photo by The Canadian Press
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau can’t go a week without being the butt of jokes online.

So it was no surprise that after the Liberal leader made a surprise visit to the Taste of Asia food festival in Markham, Ont., Friday night, he’d find a way to make himself go viral. This time, though, the prime minister drew heaps of scorn after he broke into a cringy dance that some viewers compared to the little kick manoeuvre Julia Louis-Dreyfus acted out on a 1996 episode of Seinfeld.

Michael Sachs shared a clip of Trudeau alongside one of Louis-Dreyfus’ Elaine on X, writing, “I’m just gonna leave this here.”

“I just knew he couldn’t get through the Canada Day long weekend without embarrassing the whole country,” one person commented with another borrowing Jason Alexander’s line from the show, calling it “a full body dry heave set to music.”

Popular social media account 6ixBuzzTV shared different angles of the dance, racking up hundreds of thousands of views X.

The kerfuffle over Trudeau’s gyrating sway recalled a 2018 trip to India in which the politician was derided for breaking out his best bhangra dance moves.

“Can someone tell him Indians don’t live like they are in a Bollywood set 24×7,” one person commented.

“It’s as if Trudeau binge watched Bollywood movies from the 1970’s and assumed that they were an accurate reflection of modern India,” a second remarked.

But Trudeau’s appearance in Markham comes as he’s at a crossroads in his career. Last month, his party suffered a crushing byelection loss in the St. Paul’s district of Toronto — an area of the city that had been firmly Liberal for over 30 years.

The defeat painted a dim outlook for the future of the party and Trudeau’s own political fortunes.

In a statement, the prime minister said he has much more hard work ahead of him to deliver on the promise of real economic progress for Canadians after Conservative candidate Don Stewart defeated Leslie Church in Toronto. The Liberal Party had comfortably held the riding for the past 30 years.

On Monday, Trudeau said he’s not backing down from an election faceoff against Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre next year.

“I am committed to doing the work of building a better Canada every single day, so I look forward to next year’s Canada Day and I look forward to many more Canada Days,” Trudeau said.

Trudeau
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau greets people at the Taste of Asia festival in Markham, Ont., Friday, June 28, 2024. Photo by The Canadian Press
But Liberal backbencher Wayne Long says he has seen enough and the time for change is now.

“For the future of our party and for the good of our country, we need new leadership and a new direction,” the New Brunswick MP said in a letter penned to caucus members, per CTV News.

Conservative MP Andrew Scheer tapped into the Trudeau’s ever-growing unpopularity, tweeting, “Caption contest… I’ll go first: Dance like nobody is calling for your resignation.”

His party’s sagging fortunes among voters is also likely behind Trudeau’s decision to skip the Calgary Stampede later this month.

Still, not everyone was critical of Trudeau’s moves. One self-described “political geek” said his surprise appearance was “the least objectionable thing he has done in months.”

“People getting all worked up Trudeau went to a community event and did a little dance. Let that 50-year-old man live his best divorced dad energy,” they jokingly wrote.

mdaniell@postmedia.com
ck30801[1].jpgck31328[1].jpg

Reactions: B00Mer