Tory MP to vote against budget?

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
A tory MP has threatened to vote against the budget because he says the government broke its promise to exclude offshore oil revenues from the equilization formula.

"Nova Scotia Tory MP Bill Casey, who said he will vote against his government's budget, will meet again Tuesday with Finance Minister Jim Flaherty to try to win changes. Casey has said the budget effectively kills the province's offshore accord."

Link

I wonder if he will go through with it, and whether he will be kicked out of caucus as a result.

Tresson

Nominee Member
Apr 22, 2005
A tory MP has threatened to vote against the budget because he says the government broke its promise to exclude offshore oil revenues from the equilization formula.

"Nova Scotia Tory MP Bill Casey, who said he will vote against his government's budget, will meet again Tuesday with Finance Minister Jim Flaherty to try to win changes. Casey has said the budget effectively kills the province's offshore accord."

Link

I wonder if he will go through with it, and whether he will be kicked out of caucus as a result.

And we'll see him booted out of the cp pretty soon for daring to think for himself and for not following Harper's script.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Casey’s Defection

Mr. Bill Casey M.P. (Cumberland—Colchester—Musquodoboit Valley) deserves the respect and admiration of residents in the Provinces of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador, for having the courage to vote against a misguided and fiscally regressive budget. Undoubtedly, the Government of Canada will enforce a three-line whip, expelling Mr. Casey from caucus. Apparently, Atlantic Canadians mean little-to-nothing to the Conservative Party of Canada.

Mr. Casey is a rare thing amongst modern-day Conservatives; a principled conservative.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Thing is, I think the Harpercrats expect to keep their seats. Its the whole "they have nowhere else to go" thing.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
If they don't boot him out of caucus, it could be a good thing for the Conservatives...

The people in his riding might dislike what the Conservatives have done, but would probably vote for Bill Casey for standing up for what is right. If the Conservatives boot him and run someone else in that riding, they might lose it.

...but I don't know if the Conservatives are that smart ;-)

Then again, they did win that riding by quite a large margin. Maybe they assume they will be able to keep it no matter what they do.