Top court strikes down Quebec private health-care law

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Top court strikes dow

Too funny..Martin who would avoid the NWC when it comes to same sex marriage is now urged to use it for this rulling...

I guess I was not too clear, apologies. Not Martin invoking it but the (lame duck) Quebec liberal government is considering invoking the notwithstanding clause.

I must add why were there only 7 judges hearing this. I know they use as few as five at times, but since this was such an important issue, I believe all 9 should of been hearing it. It was a 4-3 decision and I wonder how it may or may not of turned out if all nine were hearing it, would it be 6-3? 5-4? or 5-4 the other way? .....any thoughts?

McDonald

Nominee Member
Jan 23, 2006
Chicoutimi, Québec
www.myspace.com
Re: RE: Top court strikes dow

ottawabill said:
Yep the U.S. system leaves some people out of it..but if thats the only difference then this country could just pay for thoses who can't pay and let the rest of us get it from work!!

It's not that simple. Who would pay for those who could not afford private health? It would have to be the people who pay for private health... so they would be paying both for public and private health. Pretty soon, those people would get angry, marginalise those who couldn't pay for healthcare, and all of a sudden, there's not enough funding for public health. Then you have what there is in the US... the haves and the have-nots. Versus the concept of everyone has something.

The best thing to do is to work on improving medicare from all angles so that people like your dad don't have to wait so long. That means more funding, more doctors, and cleverer techniques to lower demand (i.e. more preventative care, community clinics for common maladies, etc...). Even now, your dad may have to wait nine months for his operation (and let's hope that time gets reduced)... but that still puts him in the ranks of the world's lucky few who have access to that kind of operation at all. I can understand being annoyed, but it's not life-threatening, and to suggest scrapping one of the world's most enviable health care systems because you have to wait a bit is just a little bit spoiled, don'tcha think?

There are several way we can improve medicare and reduce wait times.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
McDonald

I think Ottawabill wrote that about six months ago.