This won't make me many friends here, but...

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
How come so many articles in this forum are about American politics?

Admitedly that's why I tuned into them, but I enjoy reading about how Canada works. And I see so much "America this/that" stuff that I miss the Canada stuff.

Is it a plot?! Are the evil canadian leaders attempting to divert loyal canadians from domestic issues to make it appear all is well in Canada or are they up to something all together more diabolical.

W-K

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
American politics effect Canada just as they do the rest of the world. There's nothing anyone can do to prevent that. But recently, there's been especially more talk about Americans and how much the world wants to get rid of them!

I have to admit though, those evil Canadians are upto something... It could be anything. Maybe an evil plot to start a revolt in the United States only to eventually invade and burn down the whitehouse again?

hehe.

I'm gonna post an article about Canadian politics for you then :)

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
Andem is right, what happens in America has a way of creeping up here. When your economy crashes ours follows. When America slams us with stupid trade duties, we suffer.

When bush goes to war it matters to us.

You should also remember that 10s of thousands of Canadians have friends and family in the US as well.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Okay, given that there is a relationship between Canada and the US....I'll follow up by asking.

Why then are so many Canadians (who post here) debasing and broadsiding American politics on (what seems to be) general principle rather than merit of point?

I mean, if Canadians see a connection between themselves and America then why don't they try to understand the American mindset rather than simply insult it?

I only say this because I've pointed this page out to alot of Americans and the overwhelming opinion from them is that this is "partisan". EI: Canadians don't like American policy because they are Canadian and NOT American.

I don't think that's true but that is what broad accusations often sound like. You know?
Just something to mull over I suppose.
W-K

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
Why then are so many Canadians (who post here) debasing and broadsiding American politics on (what seems to be) general principle rather than merit of point?

Odd, I thought america was like Canada in that anyone can say anything they like whenever they want about whatever they want?!

Why do some blast and lament about American politics?

Well could it be that your crooked system allows for massive lobbying by industry that results in tens of thousands of Canadians losing their jobs? Softwood lumber duties, wheat duties, tomatoe duties, blueberry duties and on and on and on. These illegal duties come inside the already established framework of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

thing is we have no free trade with the US. With Mexico yes, not with the US. The US government under pressure by big business slams duties onto Canada and Mexico in ever increasing frequency and lunacy.

Softwood - half dozen times now the lumber barons in the US have lobbied the US government to implement duties onto Canadian exporters and each and EVERY time we won in the WTO.
Same goes for wheat only that has been tried nearly a DOZEN times.

From my personal view it is done on purpose to weaken our core industries to make them ripe for takeover. You see in Canada we are nearing 50% foreign ownership. Some of the highest levels in the world.

While other industrialized nations like Germany - 9%, Britian 18%, Japan 1.5% and the US at 6% stay strong by protecting their industries Canada has been for sale under NAFTA and our once weak dollar and that pisses some of us off at your government.

Now that is government not the average joe/jane american. For every educated Canadian knows there are no truly elected US Senators or Congressmen anymore. Its simply the same people elected each and every time and those that spend the most. Hence those that bed down with big business. Its a reciprocal system that in the end slams Canada. And for that we speak out.

Our own government does not seem to care - dont worry some of us make sure they get their public dressing down as well, but if it were not for American interferance (Celluci for example), and for so many Canadian industries now in the hands of American companies and elitists we would have no need to speak out against American internal policies now would we? :p

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
But are you speaking to the political system? Is ranting at an American system going to do any good?

I simply wanted to point out that phrases like "your crooked system" can be seen as offensive and makes it appear you have a vested interest in the topic (ie: biase) and that makes it easy for an American to shut down thinking...and turn to brainwashed-in-dogma.

This forums does not reach the globe and odds are that broadly insulting American policy (and by extension Americans) there is little fostering of relations. If anything it strains them.

I mean, isn't the point to work together to find the best solution and not simply point out how "wrong" on side or the other is?

And just because you can say anything you want....doesn't mean you should. I'm not questioning any Canadian's right to free speach...I'm questioning how they use it.

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
Canadians have pussyfooted their way into the position they are in now. We need to step on Americans toes as they do to us.
Thats a cold hard reality. Like a bully America will try to browbeat into Canadians what they want. It has gone way to far.

You may find no problem with your system that allows such lobbying to take place but we most certainly do as it directly effects each and every one of us.

BTW by mearly suggesting:

And just because you can say anything you want....doesn't mean you should. I'm not questioning any Canadian's right to free speach...I'm questioning how they use it.

You ARE questioning our right to free speach. Canadian might be a passive bunch at first glance but when push comes to shove, we will speak our minds each and everytime.