There's No Future For Renewable Energy In America

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Renewable energy has no future in America because of regulatory overreach and environmental litigation. The Calico Solar Project in California's Imperial Valley would power more than 150,000 homes. But it will never be built. Here's the regulatory history:

Calico Solar Power Project Licensing Case Documents Page

But the California Energy Commission did approve the project. However, the project has been stopped in its tracks by the Sierra Club which filed suit last December over habitat loss: Sierra Club sues over California solar plant

The project will be delayed until it becomes uneconomical to build. That's the way things work in America now. That's one of the reasons the country is paralyzed.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Renewable energy has no future in America because of regulatory overreach and environmental litigation. The Calico Solar Project in California's Imperial Valley would power more than 150,000 homes. But it will never be built. Here's the regulatory history:

But the California Energy Commission did approve the project. However, the project has been stopped in its tracks by the Sierra Club which filed suit last December over habitat loss: Sierra Club sues over California solar plant

The project will be delayed until it becomes uneconomical to build. That's the way things work in America now. That's one of the reasons the country is paralyzed.

No doubt that the green movement can be their own worst enemies.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Ughhhhrghh...

Had the "environment" existed in the 1950s, there would have been no B.C. Hydro and we would be paying out of the ass for electricity.

Nothing I hate more than rich arsholes like Bono and Al-Gore who tell us to 'stop ruining da environments guyes...' and at the same time fly to Africa every weekend for poverty and sex tourism; probably the same types who tell us that building homes are unethical and laugh to the bank when the price of homes are increasing

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
What on earth makes you think that covering thousands of acres of the desert with mirrors/solar panels, which blocks the sun from every living thing in that desert (and there are a LOT of living things in the desert) is a good thing?

I have lived in the desert. It is simply beautiful, breathtaking country, with a huge variety of flora and fauna.

What gives the people that want this done the right to kill off all of those living things?

Oh, that's right, it's people that will provide "energy" that could more easily, and a LOT more safely, be provided with Nuclear Energy plants.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
No,Old Medic,you'er only partly right,it will provide money,and we all know that a few "?" lives don't mean shyte if there's enough money to be made by the right people.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

The Sierra Club is not a green organization. Rather it is a collection of NIMBYs and NOPEs that do not have to earn a living.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
There are other sites availabale in the Imperial Valley but for some reason this spot was selected with no alternative sites considered. Another issue is that are valued Native American historical locations on this specific site. This fact was known before the site was established as the singl location. Tell me there isn't something unusual going on with this project.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Yes indeed, you just have to destroy thousands of acres of desert habitat, in order to generate all of that power. Millions of animals die, vegetation is destroyed, and there will be nothing left to stop the sand from blowing. Destructive sand storms will follow within a very few years, ruining the solar collectors.

As it stands right now, those that live near Palm Springs have to replace their car windshields about every 3 years, and get a paint job on their cars (I lved in Palm Desert for 4 years, I KNOW that climate). Just imagine how bad it will be without ANY vegetation.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It is no secret that "Green Energy" is great... as long as it does not effect the NIMBY's. Those wealthy people that are all about GW and its effect on the environment. However when you want to put up solar panels or in the case of my homestate Massachusettes Windmills... not in my backyard.

Our example is Cape Wind. Cape Wind is a proposed windmill farm off the coast of Cape Cod... Hyannis to be exact. It would free Cape Cod of fossil fuel and power all of the Cape with wind. HOWEVER... Cape Wind is off Hyannis... the home of the Kennedy's and the famous Kennedy Compound. They sail off Hyannis and the windmills would obstruct their view. Ted Kennedy fought Cape Wind to his dying day and the remaining Kennedy Clan is fighting tooth and nail to stop it. Suddenly alternative energy is not such a great idea. I can assure you that if the Windmills were sighted off New Bedford, Fall River, or some other run down coastal city the Kennedy's would be all for it. NIMBY

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nice MentalFloss. One guy said on the news...

"I'm all for saving the environment and I believe that we must do something to stop Global Warming. I just don't want these windmills near my house. They should put them somewhere else."

... I loved hearing that.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Hate to tell you "lone wolf", but not one person was injured in any way during or after the "Three Mile Island Incident".

Neither was any person downwind from Chernobal injured in any way (no increase in any form of cancer, etc.) The ONLY people affected all lived within 3 kilometers of that pile (it was a form of nuclear energy generator that had been totally rejected in the west, and there was absolutely NO possible way to control an out of control reaction. They utilized the same method of control that the scientists did with the first nuclear reaction at the University of Chicago, one that those scientists QUICKLY learned was unstable and that they disamntled as a result.

People like you just love to thrive on misinformation. You think that slinging around your stupidity and hatred will overcome anyone that can actually read?