The media and the pope

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I watched as almost a million pilgrims gathered for the pope's arrival into Toronto. The media was actually swarming and the event was beautiful. So many faithful youth came to Toronto for World Youth Day and in so many instances, the media was trying to create a controversy about the Catholic Church. I'm not catholic, I'm protistant, but at such a peaceful world event the media was trying to turn it around against the church.

Here and there you would hear them mention the problems and corruption in the church. Why couldnt they just leave it alone for a week where people were enjoying themselves. Even the pope has been better than he's been in a long time.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
The media has always done that. No matter what (joyeous?) day it is, whats being celebrated, they will try and get a controversy to surface. It's been done for many many many years. I don't agree at all with what they did at World Youth Day (Week really). But then again, a small minority controls the media and that wont stop any time soon.

JSz

Nominee Member
Jun 10, 2002
Richmond Hill
Anything the media tried to do was completely unsuccessful, ofcourse. World Youth Day went on as planned and there was not a single fight there. How nice!

Hi Shmad, is it politcally incorrect for you to say who that small minority is?

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
JSz said:
Anything the media tried to do was completely unsuccessful, ofcourse. World Youth Day went on as planned and there was not a single fight there. How nice!

Hi Shmad, is it politcally incorrect for you to say who that small minority is?

In my world, nothing is politically incorrect aside from I find politically correctness to be incorrect :)

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
I did find one thing disgusting about the whole affair. The catholic church found millions to host this event, yet they can not find the money to pay for the court settlements they endure due to the illegal activites of a few of their clergy.

I do agree the media should have just let the people have a good peaceful time and not try to make a bigger story out of it. Thats my two cents.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Ofcourse.. The media has to go an screw everything up. Its all about ratings, thank god this time people were disgusted in what they were trying to do. This is probably the most peaceful event in the history of Toronto. No drunks, no riots, no fights, nothing.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Andem said:
Ofcourse.. The media has to go an screw everything up. Its all about ratings, thank god this time people were disgusted in what they were trying to do. This is probably the most peaceful event in the history of Toronto. No drunks, no riots, no fights, nothing.

One would normally assume that most of those people who attend World Youth Day wouldn't get into that kind of thing. I mean, come on they wouldn't want to sin, especially with the pope there, the man that is highest to their god as any other person in the world.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
czardogs said:
I did find one thing disgusting about the whole affair. The catholic church found millions to host this event, yet they can not find the money to pay for the court settlements they endure due to the illegal activites of a few of their clergy.

Yeah I know, that kind of disturbed me as well. According to the latest press release, they plan on fund raising that money to pay off the settlements. I dont really KNOW who in their right mind would donate to that cause though, knowing what the money is going to be going for.

It should be something they have to pay entirely themselves, I mean if it was a person and not the church itself, the person would be required to pay it themselves, even if they had to take a loan to do so. The Church should follow the same lines, instead of involving millions of their un-involved church-goers and having them pay off something they had no do in.

Ideas?

JSz

Nominee Member
Jun 10, 2002
Richmond Hill
did find one thing disgusting about the whole affair. The catholic church found millions to host this event, yet they can not find the money to pay for the court settlements they endure due to the illegal activites of a few of their clergy.

I believe it was in the most part, paid off by the city of Toronto and the taxpayers in the surrounding regions. Don't quote me on this, but I don't think it was the church that paid out very much money for this event.

By the way, mel lastman loved the event, he was so happy they all came to Toronto. Let me clear something up here, he only did this because it's money into the economy and money into his pocket. He's not catholic, not christian.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
And while the Pope was in town, little did you all know is that the Prime Minister's son up North was busy buggering some poor native girl. Something the CBC (Catholic BroadCasting) won't talk about. I heard about it from the National Post and Globe and Mail.