The 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
:canada: 2010 Canadian/Vancouver Olympics Links - Enjoy The Games and the Awe Inspiring Beauty of Canada/B.C./ Vancouver ....Have a Great time EH.!..
:canada:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Olympic Schedule, Results and Events : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

2010 Olympic Games

Vancouver 2010 - Olympic.org

2010 Host City - Welcome

2010 Winter Olympics - Watch Online - News, Results, Photos and Video - CTV Olympics

Vancouver Now

2010 Winter Olympics (OlympicsInfo) on Twitter

Winter Olympics 2010 (W_Olympics_2010) on Twitter

2010 Olympics (2010lympics) on Twitter

CNN 2010 Olympics (cnnolympics2010) on Twitter
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ancient Olympic Games - 101 on the Ancient Olympic Games

YouTube - The Olympic Games History - Let's not forget the Great history of the Olympic Games/Where and how it all began ..

---------------------------------------------------

Let The Games Begin ...!

Go Canada Gold !..:canada:

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Do You Believe?

Yes, I believe it`s a waste of money.

No Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics On Stolen Native Land

2010 Olympic Games Watch

Why protest Vancouver's 2010 Olympics?

Standing up to the global system makes change possible

by Gord Hill

The Dominion - The Dominion | news from the grassroots

There are many reasons to protest the Olympic Games. It is a multi-billion dollar industry run by an elite clique that sells the five rings to the highest bidder, using sports as a commodity and a platform for corporate advertising. Their main goal is profit, in collaboration with their partners: government, local organizing committees, and corporations (construction, real estate, tourism, TV, and media, as well as sponsors).

The Olympics have a long history of association with fascists, colonialists, and authoritarian regimes (i.e., the 1936 Hitler Olympics, the 1968 Mexico City Olympic massacre, and the 2008 Beijing Summer Games). Since the 1980s, they have displaced over three million people and contributed to massive increases in homelessness (as we’ve seen in Vancouver).

http://www.dominionpaper.ca/node/

Massive construction projects associated with the Olympics, from venues to infrastructure, result in both widespread environmental destruction and huge public debts. As part of security operations, police, military, and intelligence agencies receive millions of dollars for new personnel, equipment, and weapons — strengthening the creeping police states we see around the world and further eroding our alleged 'freedoms' and civil liberties.

Some naysayers ask: Why protest, since protests don’t change anything, and the Games are going to happen anyway? Their questions are based on the apparent futility of protest.

To begin with, protests are but one tactic used by social movements. They help raise awareness and mobilize people. The US black civil rights movement started out as small protests and grew into a mass campaign of civil disobedience. This forced the government to enact reforms and desegregate the South. Protests weren’t the only activities carried out by the civil-rights movement. They also organized forums, held workshops on legal rights, registered black voters, and printed newsletters.

Protests and civil disobedience were what made change both possible and necessary, because not only did they draw international attention to racism in the US, they also made it impossible for the apartheid system in the South to go on as it had before.

By the 1970s and ’80s there were black mayors and chiefs of police; today, there is a black president.

People who say protests don’t change anything don’t know history. Those who say the Olympics can’t be fought don’t even know their own local history.

Over the last three years, the anti-Olympic movement has forced the Vancouver Organizing Committee (VANOC) off the streets, to the point where it no longer holds large, public ceremonies (as it did in 2007). Anytime the organizing committee does have events, it requires a large policing operation to secure them. This is because we have successfully used direct action to disrupt Olympic events.

The effectiveness of direct action and protest can be seen in the struggle for social housing in Vancouver. This campaign increased in 2006 when the growing ranks of homeless began to become a major political issue, linked to Olympic-related construction, gentrification, and tourism.

By the fall of 2006, housing and anti-poverty groups were having large, noisy protests and began occupying empty hotels. Over two dozen people were arrested, many of them members of the Anti-Poverty Committee. These actions raised the profile of homelessness and dislocation.

Since 2007, various levels of government, along with VANOC, have had to respond with measures to limit the loss of low-income housing units, and to appear as though they are addressing the issue. By 2008, the homelessness crisis, along with the Olympic Village fiasco, determined the outcome of the Vancouver civic election.

Homelessness became a public issue because people organized, educated, and agitated for change. Without the political pressure exerted by protest groups, without community resistance, the situation for the poor and the homeless would be far worse than it is today.

Why protest 2010? Because as history shows us, the limits of tyrants are set by those whom they attempt to tyrannize.

Last edited:

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
I Hear the Protest JBeee

Now Moving Postively forward..According to most Natives ..No1 Owns the land..We Rent it/Share it ..It is true more Green/Clean Tech ways are needed and necessary to ensure we protect/Sustain the future of all that live on our 1 and only planet ....The 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games are The Greenest games yet.Leading by example..Hopefully setting the way forward for all Olympic and gaming events...A good way to showcase "ALL" that is Canadian !...

Peace..:canada:

Last edited:

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
:canada: 2010 Canadian/Vancouver Olympics Links - Enjoy The Games and the Awe Inspiring Beauty of Canada/B.C./ Vancouver ....Have a Great time EH.!..

2010 Olympic Games

2010 Host City - Welcome

2010 Winter Olympics - Watch Online - News, Results, Photos and Video - CTV Olympics

Vancouver Now

YouTube - The Olympic Games History - Let's not forget the Great history of the Olympic Games/Where and how it all began ..

Let The Games Begin ...!

There's a Time for Protest and a Time for Celebration ...Now is the time For Celebration ..

On With the Games !!

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
There's a Time for Protest and a Time for Celebration ...Now is the time For Celebration ..

On With the Games !!

Couldn't agree with you more on this, GreenFish. Now is the time to stand up and be proud of our country and to fly our flag high.

Have been watching the Torch Relay this morning and the excitement of the crowds following the torch is inspiring. The looks of joy on the faces of people young and old makes my heart swell with pride.

GO CANADA GO. :canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They could not have come at a better time. Football is over, the Bruins suck...

ON WITH THE GAMES!

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
It took 30 years to pay off the horrendeous cost of the 1976 Motreal Olympic Games.

How long will it take to pay off the inevitable debt of Vancouver?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It took 30 years to pay off the horrendeous cost of the 1976 Motreal Olympic Games.

We will never know, they will tell us that it is being
paid down, when it probably isn't, it could take two
generations or more, the governments in power will be
long gone, couldn't care less, had their day in the sun,
took all the credit, and left the mess with the generations
to come.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

It was 40 years, Jack. And we'll have to wait and see what the final bill comes to (assuming the gov't tells us what the bill actually comes to, which I sincerely and severely doubt will happen).

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Green Fish thank you for your thoughtful friendly peaceful thread, it should be nothing but EPIC , Carry the torch of the Olympic flame in our minds, the most recognized cymbal of PEACE in the WORLD.

We Greeks love peace, that is why our ancestors introduced the first Olympiad.

Records indicate that they began in 776 BC in Olympia, Greece. They were celebrated until 393 AD. when an earthquake destroyed Olympia.

About 2500 years later Vancouver Canada is hosting the winter Olympics...
Party time, Great time, , don’t spend your last dime…….:smile:

My condolence to the Georgian luger athlete’s family for this tragic accident.
:-:)-:)-(

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

2010 Olympic Games

2010 Host City - Welcome

Vancouver Now

Let The Games Begin ...!

You beat me to the punch and I love every minute of it, I count have had a better person beat me to the punch, bravo Green Fish Go Canada Gol:canada::canada::canada::canada::canada: :canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada:12 flags Gold medals.:lol::lol::lol::canada:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

What is the real waste of money is the costs of parading the damn flame across Canada. That is unnecessary.

I don't have a problem with the money spent on the games itself.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
What is the real waste of money is the costs of parading the damn flame across Canada. That is unnecessary.

I don't have a problem with the money spent on the games itself.

Hey Risus thanks for being a friend of the Olympic spirit.;-)

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
The Olympics have evolved substantially over the centuries. The rules, requirements, frequency and more have undergone significant change since they were first held in Olympia, Greece in the year 776 B.C.E. It is believed Olympics were held earlier than that as well although nothing was recorded. During ancient times they were held every four years in the summer and always in the same place. Now, the Olympics are held in different countries every time. Also, in modern times there are winter and summer Olympics which each occur ever 4 years.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
The games cursed even before they got started?8O

Green Fish thank you for your thoughtful friendly peaceful thread, it should be nothing but EPIC , Carry the torch of the Olympic flame in our minds, the most recognized cymbal of PEACE in the WORLD.

We Greeks love peace, that is why our ancestors introduced the first Olympiad.

Records indicate that they began in 776 BC in Olympia, Greece. They were celebrated until 393 AD. when an earthquake destroyed Olympia.

About 2500 years later Vancouver Canada is hosting the winter Olympics...
Party time, Great time, , don’t spend your last dime…….:smile:

My condolence to the Georgian luger athlete’s family for this tragic accident.
:-:)-:)-(

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
The games cursed even before they got started?8O

JBee, curse no, freaky accident yes...............................
Let’s have a good time We Canadians deserve to be seen happy around the world being good hosts to a memorable friendly time:smile: