Thank you Canada for your assistance during 9/11

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Discussions are already taking place in the U.S. about another 9/11 anniversary - whether this is a good thing or a bad thing I don't know but each year I am remiss in mentioning something that stays with me as clear as the day it happened.

How Canada and Canadians opened their airspace, landing fields and homes to those who had to be diverted across the border.

I swelled with pride that day - and want to thank the nation and its people again.

gingersnap

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2009
Vancouver
What a nice post. I too am very proud that Canadians did this and that it was done without a second thought. They needed our help and we came through.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Sadly, on the same day that decent Canadians opened their hearts and homes, some liberal academics declared that the attack by the Islamists was exactly what America deserved.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Sadly, on the same day that decent Canadians opened their hearts and homes, some liberal academics declared that the attack by the Islamists was exactly what America deserved.

Sadly, on that same day, many conservative non-academics blamed Canada for letting the terrorists into the US.

There, now can we get back to the point?

Just trying to be 'fair and balanced', you know.

No need to thank me.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I can't help but feel that we have no right to expect a thanks or the unending praise Curio.

Humans help their neighbours, even the ones they don't get along with all that well. Even the annoying old man down the street who pisses us off weekly knows he can call on my hubby to lend him a tool or a truck if he needs it. If it came down to something more drastic, he knows we're a mere call away. If there were an emergency the whole neighbourhood would run to his aid. That's what humans do.

So, to get unending thanks for helping stranded people we DO get along with, seems a bit to me like thanking us for breathing.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hi Karrie

Don't deny the U.S. their unending blathering of thanks - so few nations lend a hand
to the U.S. as the country appears to be self-sufficient and always expected to take
care "of its own" "on its own".....but lending a hand works benefits both ways in the giving and receiving - even when fighting for a gold at the Olympics - I think the
relationship between the two nations should stand as a testament large groups of people can live side by side, share differences and similarities in peace and benefit.

There was a great deal of controversy that day - one question which burned in my gut was "Why did we let them into Canadian airspace?" I guess in case they were going to bring hell to Canada as well...

What was found out later is the commander of NATO that day was one of the Canadians who made that decision which made it even more of a Canadian decision and created a bond so many people will never forget.

Some of my Canadian family visit southern USA states in the winter months and still get thank you's
for that decision.

As a member of both nations, it fills my heart and the naysayers just can't seem to dislodge my pride...even now after all these years.

There is huge reward in lending help and giving of ourselves - I hope all people in our world get at least one opportunity to take part in this very human gift we all have.

Avro

Thank you for putting up the Peace Arch video - On one side there is an inscription:

"Children of a Common Mother"

This may seem outdated but sometimes I like to think that we have all combined our heritages into a
wonderful mix of kind and generous people - full of fun and even insult - but always side by side.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
-----------------------------

Anyways, while I do find it generally appreciate-able to those who deserve thanks and recognition for their quick and generous thinking in a crisis such as this type..... I do have to lean towards Karrie's point of view that no matter what disaster, attack or other type of tragedy would have occurred, it's typical to help out neighbors, regardless of how much you may despise them.

But in relation to 9/11:

Qur'an burning plan condemned by U.S. general
CBC News - World - Qur'an burning plan condemned by U.S. general

"The top U.S. general and NATO commander in Afghanistan on Tuesday condemned plans by an American church to burn copies of the Qur'an on Sept. 11.
Gen. David Petraeus said burning the Muslim holy book could endanger U.S. troops and Americans worldwide.........."

Last edited by a moderator:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Curiosity ,

so few nations lend a hand
to the U.S. as the country appears to be self-sufficient and always expected to take
care "of its own" "on its own"...

China lends a hand to US of A .....ask Clinton .

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Discussions are already taking place in the U.S. about another 9/11 anniversary - whether this is a good thing or a bad thing I don't know but each year I am remiss in mentioning something that stays with me as clear as the day it happened.

How Canada and Canadians opened their airspace, landing fields and homes to those who had to be diverted across the border.

I swelled with pride that day - and want to thank the nation and its people again.
That was a touching moment in time, just proves how close we really are.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec

You are very welcome. Even if we have our differences we will be here for our neighbors.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Canadians were kind to the Americans on that dreadful day and opened up their home for the stranded Americans and treated them as their own with love and kindness and they would do it again in a heartbeat even though the American politicians insists on $crewing us on the Free Trade Agreement on a regular bases.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Canadians were kind to the Americans on that dreadful day and opened up their home for the stranded Americans and treated them as their own with love and kindness and they would do it again in a heartbeat even though the American politicians insists on $crewing us on the Free Trade Agreement on a regular bases.

I think you will find that rural Canadians are like that. :smile:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I'm glad Canada could help.

Gander International Airport Authority Inc.

When I think of all the planes that landed on unfamiliar fields, I tip my hat to a lot of aircrews.

Also the air traffic controllers and support people.

On September 11, 2001, 39 heavy aircraft were diverted to Gander International Airport when airspace was closed in the United States because of tragic terrorist hijackings. Runway 13/31 was converted to a temporary aircraft parking ramp. The airport terminal was turned into an aid centre as food and clothing was distributed to stranded passengers. The airport and its surrounding community afterwards received high praise for their response to the tragedy.

The articles below detail Gander's role in the September 11 tragedy.

September 11, 2001
Gander rolls out the welcome mat
Read Article... 'The Plane People'
A Newfoundland Town Opened Its Doors on Sept. 11
Read Article... Unexpected Guests Warm Hearts in the Frozen North
By BARBARA CROSSETTE
Read Article... Take a Gander at this hospitality Read Article... DIVERTED ON SEPT. 11,
STRANDED FLIERS MAKE ENDURING CONNECTIONS

Some of 200 Planes Rerouted, Many Got to Newfoundland; Army Cots and Fast Friends.
By Clare Ansberry, Staff Reporter of the Wall Street Journal
Read Article... An exec's newfound grit
Diverted flier sees employees' devotion, strangers' kindness
By Colin Pope, Austin Business Journal Staff
Read Article... Village opens its heart to surprise guests
By Michal Ko, Seattle Times staff reporter
Read Article... Gander sees influx of 6,500
Communities act as terrorism affects Canada
By Paul Banks, The Beacon
Read Article...
http://www.ganderairport.com/911.htm
I'm proud of the actions of fellow Canadians that day.

YouTube - September 11: FAA Closure of US Airspace

YouTube - An Original Sept 11 Report on FAA radar screens

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Hard to compare one with another.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I can differentiate between the American "people" and the American "government". They aren't the same thing at all. I like most Americans I know. I don't care for the American government under Bush.

Regarding 9/11. None of the 9/11 hijackers crossed into the US from Canada.
Canada Fights Myth It Was 9/11 Conduit (washingtonpost.com)

Regarding NAFTA, I agree with Liberalman. The Americans are not upholding their end of NAFTA.

We had to fight the US on softwood lumber:
CBC News Indepth: Softwood lumber dispute
By the time we won our case, many Canadians lost their jobs.

The "Buy American" plan in its original form was a blatant NAFTA violation. Even in its modified form, it barely complies with NAFTA and it certainly isn't neighborly.
"Buy American" doesn't play well in Canada | GlobalPost

Regarding the Iraq war, the US government initially snubbed and insulted Canada for not joining. Canada's PM wanted a UNSC resolution authorizing force first and the US didn't get one. Turns out Canada was right not to join, just like we were during Vietnam.

Even though I can think of more than a few un-neighborly ways the US government has acted since 9/11... I can't say the same thing about Americans I know personally... I sincerely like most Americans I know personally.