Telus is not allowed to disconnect your phone

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Telus dispute leads to CRTC ruling - disconnect not allowed

Telus threatened to disconnect my phone line, a basic 'land line' phone, due to unpaid charges for a high-speed modem that was not returned.
The short story is this ruling from the CRTC - Telus cannot disconnect your phone line due to unpaid "peripherals" like internet and so on!! GOOD NEWS eh?

I bet not many people know that.
Telus certainly isn't telling us [pun!].

Here is the actual wording, copied from the correspondence from the CRTC to me:
"In May 2004, the CRTC clarified that incumbent telephone companies, for example TELUS, are not permitted to suspend or terminate (disconnect), or threaten to disconnect, a customer's tariffed services (for example, local service and features) if that customer has made partial payments sufficient to cover that customer's outstanding arrears for tariffed services, whether or not there remain outstanding arrears for non-tariffed services (for example, long distance and internet)."

So Telus backed off, the extra charges erased [the modems were returned a long time ago]. As it should be.

More details ad nauseam -
It was a complex situation, and I went to the CRTC to complain about several things to do with Telus, including the fact that they were charging $150 for these modems that can be had for $15.
Also, the modem was returned anyways, but we didn't have a receipt and Telus just ships them off to a warehouse and does not identify them at all, so we could not prove that Telus allready has it!! Silly eh?
Then there was the way those charges got onto my bill - a freind of mine calls Telus and somehow gets them to put his outstanding amount for unreturned modems ON MY BILL. As evidence, I have never ever had high-speed internet on my computer, something Telus can check themselves.

In the end, the lady at Telus simply said "I will credit your account with the balance", and that was it. They could have done that at any time, but for all those months they made it sound like it is impossible to change a phone bills mistakes.

So it pays to ask questions. The rules that protect the public seem to be known only to industry people, and not the public.

Karlin

[/img]

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004

Telus threatened to disconnect my phone line, a basic 'land line' phone, due to unpaid charges for a high-speed modem that was not returned.
The short story is this ruling from the CRTC - Telus cannot disconnect your phone line due to unpaid "peripherals" like internet and so on!! GOOD NEWS eh?

"In May 2004, the CRTC clarified that incumbent telephone companies, for example TELUS, are not permitted to suspend or terminate (disconnect), or threaten to disconnect, a customer's tariffed services (for example, local service and features) if that customer has made partial payments sufficient to cover that customer's outstanding arrears for tariffed services, whether or not there remain outstanding arrears for non-tariffed services (for example, long distance and internet)."

So Telus backed off, the extra charges erased [the modems were returned a long time ago]. As it should be.

It was a complex situation, and I went to the CRTC to complain about several things to do with Telus, including the fact that they were charging $150 for these modems that can be had for $15.
Also, the modem was returned anyways, but we didn't have a receipt and Telus just ships them off to a warehouse and does not identify them at all, so we could not prove that Telus allready has it!! Silly eh?
Then there was the way those charges got onto my bill - a freind of mine calls Telus and somehow gets them to put his outstanding amount for unreturned modems ON MY BILL. As evidence, I have never ever had high-speed internet on my computer, something Telus can check themselves.

In the end, the lady at Telus simply said "I will credit your account with the balance", and that was it. They could have done that at any time, but for all those months they made it sound like it is impossible to change a phone bills mistakes.

So it pays to ask questions. The rules that protect the public seem to be known only to industry people, and not the public.

Karlin

[/img]

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004

Karlin

[/img]

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
RE: Telus dispute leads to CRTC ruling - disconnect not allo

Thanks for posting that! Good news to the consumer, especially those who get mixed up in the errors of their telephone company.

I'm definately keeping this one in mind :)

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Thanks for posting that! Good news to the consumer, especially those who get mixed up in the errors of their telephone company.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Chad

Jun 22, 2005
Calgary, AB

Hi,
I just joined the forum because I was searching for a post like yours. Can you tell me how you contacted the CRTC?
I called Telus yesterday because they overcharged me for a month of internet use and even though they fixed that error, I found out that they were charging me an extra $5 a month over the price I agreed to because I am not a long distance customer with Telus - even though I wasn't a long distance customer when they offered me the rate. Problem is, they said they will charge me $120 if I cancel with them and go elsewhere. I hope you have some info that can help - I couldn't get anywhere talking to them. A manager told me "I am not acknowledging that Telus made an error by offering you the incorrect rate..." - customer service sure has changed!

- Chad