Stupidity

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Okay guys this is on right now on the CBC on rough cuts I am going to watch it, its on again at 10 for you BCer's. Later gaters. :wink:

STUPIDITY

Repeating Tuesday June 7 at 10pm ET/PT

Stupidity is Albert Nerenberg's hard-hitting and often hilarious look at stupidity as a driving force in society. The documentary is a controversial investigation into what may be a characteristic unique to our species-a chronic resistance to intelligence.

Stupidity sets out to determine whether our culture is hooked on deliberate ignorance as a strategy for success. From Adam Sandler to George W. Bush, from the IQ test to TV programming and the origins of the word 'moron', Nerenberg examines the "dumbing down" of contemporary culture.

Stupidity careens at warp speed through sound bites on topics from television news and reality TV shows, to Internet sites and popular films. Featuring opinions and comments from some of today's most recognizable figures, cultural critics, authors and academics, including John Cleese and Rick Mercer, Noam Chomsky and David Frum, Salma Hayek and Michael Moore, Stupidity reveals that, despite our culture's extensive access to knowledge and information, humans continue to choose stupidity. The film suggests that unless stupidity is dealt with, we may all be doomed.

Stupidity has been a hit wherever it has gone-selling out film festivals and igniting storms of controversy. The film has had several theatrical runs in North America and won the award for Best Documentary at the Atlantic City Film Festival.

mps

Jun 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Damn. I saw the preview for this earlier tonight, but I forgot to watch it. Stupidity strikes again! Hopefully I can catch it some other time.

I question whether society as a whole is getting stupider by accident, or with intention. It seems to me that if someone wanted to maintain power and control then they would have to convince their underlings that they are indeed infantile. That might explain why citizens are reguarly talked down to by corporate entities; why we see commercials that make you say "Do they think I'm retarded?"

As it stands now, I don't believe society is any dumber than say 20 years ago.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Thank goodness I came upon this thread now, as I still have time to watch. Thanks, Pea! once again you save the day.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Watched a few months ago.

I love how they talk about the word Moron being "developed" in New Jersey and some girl in New Jersey had never heard of it. She figured it must be a "white" word and they don't use "white" words....made me laugh!!!!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
That old advertising adage....If you speak to them as if their 12, they will act as if their 12.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I have always hated IQ tests, they are bullshit, now I know why. I think henry goddard regreted translating the test into english, the nazi's used it as part of their plan for the perfect race, first to go in their plan even before the jews were the so called morans. I thought the documentary was excellent.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
It's friggin deliberate people :x The powers that be are dumbing us all down 8O That way it's easier to keep the cattle in line :x

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I have always hated IQ tests, they are bullshit, now I know why.

I aced one once...right off the scale. I was well into mad genius territory. The thing is that I never actually read the questions, I just filled in the circles as quick as I could so I could go for a smoke.

I spent much time in the office trying to explain that I never cheated after that.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Okay, thats TWO times I was able to post, both on topics that are not too "sensitive"

What I have been trying to post for two weeks, and get bumped right offline each time, in every forum I am signup up at, is ... coming to a post near you. I am trying to figure a way ... ideas?

mps

Jun 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I'm not too sure what the board policy is regarding torrents, so I'll just say that this documentary is widely available on many torrent sites, like IsoHunt for example.

I won't link directly to it, just in case.

I'll give it a look-see tonight.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
You lost me karlin, but I assure you that no one has bumped you off this site...don't try twinksland tho...I hear they only want taters and meat joining up over there 8O

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Pull the television out of the bedroom and throw the kids outside to use their imagination. I am so glad I don't have cable at home..I would have three little expanding blobs, rather than the delightful children I have now. IQ tests are limited in their accuracy as well...I always do well because I can read fast and react...My oldest is more of a vocal learner, you ask him a question rather than get him to read it, and he'll snap out an answer far more intelligent than most of the other 8 1/2 year olds I have met.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
General entertainment has always been geared to the average person. Shakespeare was writing down for the average plebe and movies and TV have always had a large portion of stupid programs,from The 3 Stooges to Jerry Lewis :) Advertising men soon figured out that these programs appealed to the markets they were trying to reach and just took advantage of the medium.We realize that we are being talked down to by these advertisements,but most folk just think of them as another form of entertainment[that's what i think is sad]