Student teacher says Beaverton School District discriminated against him

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
Student teacher says Beaverton School District discriminated against him | OregonLive.com

" Beaverton student teacher is claiming discrimination after Beaverton School District asked that he be re-assigned over a conversation he had with a student.

Seth Stambaugh told a fourth-grader who asked if he was married, that he was not. When the student asked why, Stambaugh, who is gay, replied it was not legal for him to get married because he would choose to marry another man. The student then asked does that mean you like to hang out with other guys? and Stambaugh responded yes, said Lake Perriguey, Stambaugh's attorney.

The parent of a student who overheard the conversation complained, Perriguey said, and district administrators asked Stambaugh's advisors at Lewis & Clark College to find him another school.

Perriguey said the parent who complained had already raised an issue about Stambaugh's appearance, which Perriguey described as pressed pants, an oxford shirt, a tie and a cardigan. Stambaugh has a light Van Dyke and pulls his hair back into a pony tail.

Stambaugh, 23, has not filed a lawsuit and is expected to be placed in another school district soon, but he and his attorney believe district administrators acted improperly.

Beaverton School District spokeswoman Maureen Wheeler said the decision was not discriminatory.

It was based on "concerns about a conversation he had with a fourth-grade student," Wheeler said. "Our concerns were about the professional judgment and age appropriateness."

Wheeler said the district's "policy and practice is non-discrimination. We train on this issue." But student teachers, also known as interns, are not employees and the district does not have policies dealing with them.

Wheeler said Lewis & Clark is responsible for its student teachers.

Lewis & Clark issued a statement Wednesday in which Scott Fletcher, Dean of the Graduate School of Education and Counseling, said part of the teacher training curriculum includes "how and when to disclose any personal information. There is no doubt that the issue of GLBT (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender) teachers coming out in elementary and secondary schools is unjustly complicated by a heteronormative culture" -- a belief system that assumes heterosexuality is the norm. "

the rest is at link.

I will agree i think the student teacher could of answer the question a bit better. but at the same time when can a parent judge you on appearance. i am guessing he or she was really jelous of the pony tail the guy had. anyways the student teacher did nothing wrong.

I like to see this parent and really just insult them on what there wearing and judge them that way see how they like it. How about teach your child not to ask things that our personal to other people? hum.... Be a parent not a wuss

"Beaverton School District spokeswoman Maureen Wheeler said the decision was not discriminatory. "

i call bs on that. trying to save your own butt so you don't get sued.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The parent complained about his appearance?

... Stambaugh's appearance, which Perriguey described as pressed pants, an oxford shirt, a tie and a cardigan. Stambaugh has a light Van Dyke and pulls his hair back into a pony tail.

What is the parent looking for, torn jeans and t shirts? What kind of weird parents are they?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sounds like mommy didn't like that he looked less than hetero, and got little Tommy to bait the guy out.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
Sounds like mommy didn't like that he looked less than hetero, and got little Tommy to bait the guy out.

Seem like it, too bad schools are just to blind. "oh its not discrimmation really i am sure ... if it happen to the oppiste sex liking the others.. the same thing would of happen with them... oh wait. double standard

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Seem like it, too bad schools are just to blind. "oh its not discrimmation really i am sure ... if it happen to the oppiste sex liking the others.. the same thing would of happen with them... oh wait. double standard

For the record, i think his response was idiotic, and worthy of at least a warning, even if he was baited into giving it. Dismissal, no, but it was not an age appropriate explanation.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Holy mackerel!! A Teacher honestly answered a Students question in a forthright
manner, and was punished for doing so. What does that teach these Students?

This Beaverton sounds familiar. Isn't that the town next to Dog River?

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Yeah ron ...That's Alpha dog river your thinkin of ..next to cat scratch falls ....

Sounds like liberal jibberish to me...Let the children be children ..Leave the political gayness out of it...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

You're thinking of Wullerton
*pp-ttt*

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Oh yes ...Wullerton ...lol .That's right ..Stopped there at the corner store for gas once...Nice town to drive through ..Anyway ..uh,,.Beaverton school residents better have a talk to their teachers ...Tell them to Keep the conversations light when it comes to childish politics..

Last edited:

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
For the record, i think his response was idiotic, and worthy of at least a warning, even if he was baited into giving it. Dismissal, no, but it was not an age appropriate explanation.
even if that was the case why is the child answer this question why and how would a child ask this question simple answer. it was the parents who did it.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I think the man gave too much information. If a stranger, adult or child, asks if someone is married, and then why or why not, the why not answer is usually something a little more general ... like ... haven't found the person, timing isn't right, marriage doesn't suit everyone ... there's no need to get into politics over such a simple question.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
I think the man gave too much information. If a stranger, adult or child, asks if someone is married, and then why or why not, the why not answer is usually something a little more general ... like ... haven't found the person, timing isn't right, marriage doesn't suit everyone ... there's no need to get into politics over such a simple question.
Why would a child ask this question and how would a child know to ask this question. It apprent the mother or dad in this case going to assume it was the mother told the child to ask why she was sneaking around being noisey. the parent is just as much to blame as the teacher and adult. sure he didn't have to answer it but he hostly answer it. where the crime in that?

this has nothing to do with marriage this has to do the fact that he is GAY.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

You're thinking Wullerton, Beaverton is 35km SW of the big cottonwood.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Why would a child ask this question and how would a child know to ask this question. It apprent the mother or dad in this case going to assume it was the mother told the child to ask why she was sneaking around being noisey. the parent is just as much to blame as the teacher and adult. sure he didn't have to answer it but he hostly answer it. where the crime in that?

this has nothing to do with marriage this has to do the fact that he is GAY.

I think the question is completely irregular. I've worked with the public in various capacities for the last 10 years, and I've never been asked straight up if I'm married. That question is so loaded ... it's one question that is usually avoided by all. Possible answer are ... was, but divorced, widowed, stood up at the alter, separated, never found someone ... there is only a small percentage that would wholeheartedly answer ... "yes, very happily married"

I wonder how often the mother uses her children to manipulate a situation.

I wonder why the other parents didn't stand up for the teacher. The mother will only become more of a problem over time.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
I think the question is completely irregular. I've worked with the public in various capacities for the last 10 years, and I've never been asked straight up if I'm married. That question is so loaded ... it's one question that is usually avoided by all. Possible answer are ... was, but divorced, widowed, stood up at the alter, separated, never found someone ... there is only a small percentage that would wholeheartedly answer ... "yes, very happily married"

I wonder how often the mother uses her children to manipulate a situation.

I wonder why the other parents didn't stand up for the teacher. The mother will only become more of a problem over time.
i do agree with you on see going to be more of a problem.