SS Wal-mart

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
#juan said:
Buy American, Buy Local, Save American jobs, Boycott Walmart

http://user.pa.net/~nrwing/buyamerican/

And why should I worry about American jobs? I don't live in America, I live in Canada. It's not like your typical American cares about, for instance, Canadian lumber producers, is it?

Let's see if I get this straight: we're supposed to hate the Bush-supporting Americans, but buy American products to keep them employed. We're supposed to boycott WalMart because they're evil, but we're also supposed to support developing third world nations....well, let's see where WalMart gets most of their products.......

We're far, far more likely to be treated fairly in trade with China than with the US. So why are we concerned with "protecting" American jobs? They don't care about us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as I'm concerned, the more you buy at Walmart, the more you'll tip the US/China trade imbalance in favour of China, and the more the Americans will start to see what it's like to be on the wrong end of a trading relationship.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
I have a degree in literature, and can't get a job in the research field...and my degree is for 3 languages, so I know the plight well.

I do shop at wal-mart from time to time, because a lot of my friends work there, the job market here is really small. People work where they can, and not have to worry about seasonal stuff

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
TenPenny wrote:
And why should I worry about American jobs? I don't live in America, I live in Canada. It's not like your typical American cares about, for instance, Canadian lumber producers, is it?

I guess I didn't make myself understood. The point was that some Americans are not too thrilled with Walmart's business practices either.

http://user.pa.net/~nrwing/buyamerican/

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Web site: www.uscc.gov
Washington, D.C. -- The U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission today released a new study titled "U.S.-China Trade, 1989-2003: Impact on Jobs and Industries, Nationally and State-by-State." The study was prepared for the Commission by Dr. Robert Scott of the Economic Policy Institute.

The United States' trade deficit with China increased twenty-fold over the last 14 years, rising from $6.2 billion in 1989 to $124 billion in 2003. Moreover, it is expected to have increased by more than 20% in 2004 to over $150 billion. This deficit is impacting an ever-broadening segment of U.S. manufacturing, including advanced technology industries like semiconductors once thought immune to lower-wage Chinese competition.

Using a state of the art input-output methodology that determines the number of jobs needed to produce exports and imports, Dr. Scott calculated that 1.5 million jobs have been displaced over the period 1989-2003 as a result of the growing trade deficit with China. The report also calculates jobs lost by individual states and by specific industrial sectors.

Commenting on the report, Commission Chairman C. Richard D'Amato said, "In the rapidly changing big and broad economic relationship with China, it is crucial to have a full, comprehensive understanding of the facts and scope of the relationship. With such data, we can begin to assess the impacts China is having on our economic health and our national security. This report makes an important, groundbreaking contribution to developing that understanding."

Dr. Scott summarized the report findings as follows: "The assumptions we built our trade relationship with China on have proven to be a house of cards. Everyone knew we would lose jobs in labor-intensive industries like textiles and apparel, but we thought we could hold our own in the capital-intensive, high-tech arena. The numbers we're seeing now put the lie to that hope -- as China expands its share even in core industries such as autos and aerospace."

The report's key findings are:

-- The rise in the United States' trade deficit with China from 1989 to 2003 caused displacement of production that supported 1.5 million U.S. jobs. The loss of jobs due to the growing trade deficit with China has more than doubled since it entered the WTO in 2001.

-- China's exports to the United States of electronics, computers, and communications equipment, along with other products that use more highly skilled labor and advanced technologies, are growing much faster than its exports of low-value, labor-intensive items such as apparel, shoes and plastic products.

-- The U.S. trade deficit in Advanced Technology Products (ATP) with China is now $32 billion, equal to the total U.S. ATP deficit.

-- China is also rapidly gaining advantage in more advanced industries such as autos and aerospace products.

-- The 1.5 million job opportunities lost nationwide are distributed among all 50 states and the District of Columbia, with the biggest losers, in numeric terms:

California (-211,045)

Texas (-106,262)

New York (-87,037)

Illinois (-74,070)

Pennsylvania (-73,612)

Florida (-65,733)

North Carolina (-65,279)

Ohio (-61,914)

Michigan (-54,313) and

Georgia (-49,589)

-- The ten hardest-hit states, as a share of total state employment, were:

Maine (-15,396, or -2.54%)

Arkansas (-19,859, -1.74%)

North Carolina (-65,279, -1.72%)

Rhode Island (-7,840, -1.62%)

New Hampshire (-9,878, -1.60%)

Indiana (-45,285, -1.56%)

Massachusetts (-48,086, -1.51%)

Vermont (-4,426, -1.48%)

Wisconsin (-41,150, -1.48%) and

California (-211,045, -1.46%)

The full report can be downloaded from the Commission's web site: [url]www.uscc.gov. [/url]The Commission welcomes comments by researchers and interested parties on the contents, methodology and findings of the Economic Policy Institute report

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
:lol: The apple doesn't fall very far from the tree with this one

Wal-Mart heiress returns degree

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Elizabeth Paige Laurie's name was on a sports arena when a former University of Southern California roommate alleged the Wal-Mart heiress paid her $20,000 to do her homework. Now it isn't even on a USC diploma.

Laurie, granddaughter of Wal-Mart co-founder Bud Walton, has returned her degree, nearly a year after Elena Martinez told ABC's 20/20 she wrote term papers and did assignments for Laurie for 3 1/2 years.

"Paige Laurie voluntarily has surrendered her degree and returned her diploma to the university. She is not a graduate of USC," the school said in a statement issued Sept. 30.

"This concludes the university's review of the allegations concerning Ms. Laurie."

USC spokesman James Grant said Wednesday the university had no further comment. Laurie had been given a bachelor's degree by the USC Annenberg School for Communication in May 2004.

After the homework allegations surfaced last November, the University of Missouri changed the name of what was then Paige Sports Arena. Laurie's billionaire parents, Bill and Nancy Laurie, had received naming rights in exchange for donating $25 million toward the building's construction. Nancy Laurie is Walton's daughter.

A call seeking comment from Bill Laurie at his Paige Sports Entertainment company was not immediately returned. The family has repeatedly declined comment on the cheating allegation.

Martinez has an unlisted phone number and could not be reached for comment. At the time of the 20/20 broadcast, Martinez said she dropped out of USC because she couldn't afford the tuition. She said she learned a great deal by doing Laurie's class work.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Some Uncomfortable Findings for Wal-Mart

Good read. In my opinion Wal Mart is a parasite and they degenerate communities. They are the scum of the earth. They may create a few jobs but since they are low paying, governments have to still spend money on their employees, as since they do not make much the government has to give them reduced medical premiums and pharmacare etc. Wal Mart is just a low life business.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Inspector general faults Wal-Mart labor-law deal

WASHINGTON — There were serious breakdowns in a government settlement with Wal-Mart Stores over child-labor-law violations, including allowing attorneys for the world's largest retailer to write key parts of the deal, according to a Labor Department inspector-general report Monday.

The inspector general attributed the problems to inadequate management controls and guidelines.

As a result, Wal-Mart received "significant concessions" in the $135,540 settlement made public in February, the report said. Among them: The Labor Department was required to notify the retail giant 15 days in advance of opening an audit or investigation, something that's inconsistent with guidelines for the department's Wage and Hour Division.

Pretty sick and disguesting. Wal Mart should of been fined enough so it hurt. Like 100 million maybe. Click link for rest of article.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
link

WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price takes you behind the glitz and into the real lives of workers and their families, business owners and their communities, in an extraordinary journey that will challenge the way you think, feel... and shop.

you can see the trailer on this site.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Nascar_James said:
Ahemm ... looks like Wal Mart stock on the NYSE has gone up considerably the past month ... just as I had predicted here a few weeks back.

Hmmm, smells like Christmas season. Doesn't take Nostradamus to figure that one out. :lol:

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
They've set up a War Room to counter all this negative publicity and hired ex Clinton advisors to show them how to better "spin' their way out of the furor. They are worried about that film :D

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
:roll: Looks like Wally World, is in a state of Limbo...as the game goes, "How Low Can You Go??" <<Drum beat>>

CBC investigation: Wal-Mart hired security guards to spy on Quebec employees

....Guards told journalists at CBC's French-language service, that Wal-Mart had hired them to spy on employees at the store in Jonquière, 200 kilometres north of Quebec City, early in 2005. It corresponded to the time the world's largest retailer announced the store would close for financial reasons.....More...

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Nascar wrote:
Ahemm ... looks like Wal Mart stock on the NYSE has gone up considerably the past month ... just as I had predicted here a few weeks back.

Nascar wants to be able to look down on people. Wall Mart supplies lots of people to look down on, their employees. Most, on minimum wage and no unions.