Soy as health food - scam ?

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
All the great news we heard about soy foods in the 1980s and 90's was information provided to us by the SOY INDUSTRY.

They hired health professionals [Doctors, researchers] "to advance the good word on soy foods" , and got them to make it appear as if they were saying it themselves,keeping it quiet that they were paid to do it by the soy industry. They made it out to be a super good "health food".

It was ALL good news that the public heard concerning soy, but all the facts about soy are not good news - we were only told part of what they KNEW!!!

What researcher could possibly miss the bad facts about soy , facts that were known by soy scientists since the beginning of the soy expansion into North America?

Common problems, not things that are difficult to understand, including allergens that are similiar to peanut allergy, as well as a substantial cancer risk from naturally occuring SOY TOXINS.

This is not conjecture - soy has allergens and toxins.

Here is a piece explaining it more:
PROFIT vs RISK
The soybean industry knows that some people experience severe allergic reactions to its products. In a recent petition to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Protein Technologies International (PTI) identified “allergenicity” as one of the “most likely potential adverse effects associated with ingestion of large amounts of soy products.” Yet PTI somehow concluded that “the data do not support that they would pose a substantial threat to the health of the US population.”10

This statement is hardly reassuring to the many children and adults who suffer allergies to soy products. And it ignores a substantial body of evidence published during the 1990s showing that some of these people only learn for the first time about their soy allergies after experiencing an unexpectedly severe or even life-threatening reaction. Although severe reactions to soy are rare compared to reactions to peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish, Swedish researchers recently concluded, “Soy has been underestimated as a cause of food anaphylaxis.” 11

- link to more of this article:
http://www.wholesoystory.com/Soy_Allergens.html

----------------------------------------------

Soy toxins links:

History of Soy [Asians didn't use it as we were told!!] -
http://tinyurl.com/qpnxq

Is soy bad for you?
It contains high quantities of various toxic chemicals, which cannot be fully destroyed even by the long cooking process. These are: phytates, which block the body's uptake of minerals; enzyme inhibitors, which hinder protein digestion; and haemagluttin, which causes red blood cells to clump together and inhibits oxygen take-up and growth. Most controversially of all, soy contains high levels of the phytoestrogens (also known as isoflavones) genistein and daidzein, which mimic and sometimes block the hormone oestrogen. [/quote]
http://tinyurl.com/qeov5
PS - as usual, it is a corporate ploy to get consumers to spend their money on something that is not what it seems.
They have no concerns for the deaths and illnesses that their products may cause. In fact, the medical industry might give them incentives to produce harmfull products.

Note that they are allways carefull to produce and sell us products that do not have obvious bad effects, but instead it is allways long term and slow onset problems that cannot be obviously traced to one product. What we know for sure, where the evidence can be found, is that the cancer rates aare skyrocketing, and people are much more allergic and generally sick that we need to be. An increase in carcinogenic substances must be the reason, and those are surely coming from the toxins we know are in toxic products.

Knoss

Nominee Member
Feb 18, 2006
Rockglen, Saskatchewan
Legumes are a good source of protien and should be eaten in combanation with meat. Try Garbanzo beans (chick peas), garden peas, pinto beans, and lentils. Pasta is also a good means of getting protien, itallian pastas (spaggeti, manicotti, penne), African couscous (a graet alternative to rice) even German noodles are all goodsources of protein. Canola oil is cheap and non hydrogenated, use sparingly but try in place of olive or soy for a clean flavor.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
I am a vegetarian, borderline vegan myself, and have consumed a great deal of soy/soy milk for a long time.

Goitrogens are a problem for some, but if that's the case, you might as well denounce broccoli and most other veggies and beans.

Anyhow, a lot of the bashing done to soy is probably provided by the dairy and meat industry.

That said, a lot of the bashing done to dairy and meat is probably done by the soy industry!

If you don't consume meat or dairy, and you want soy (or rice, almond, and other alternatives), then more power to you.

At the same time, if you eat meat and dairy, and want to add more soy to your diet, then more power to you. A human diet is better of being more diverse than less, anyhow.

QueenMaa

Aug 1, 2006
You should eat a variety of foods. Not just one kind all the time. With that said I don't think it's nothing wrong with soy.

Mirrormet

Jul 27, 2006
Winnipeg
They hired health professionals [Doctors, researchers] "to advance the good word on soy foods" , and got them to make it appear as if they were saying it themselves,keeping it quiet that they were paid to do it by the soy industry. They made it out to be a super good "health food".

All this and more are done by every other food industry out there, Milk and eggs to name just a few. The difference is that I have never seen a commercial paid for by the soy industry on TV promoting it as a food, whereas the 'Got Milk' campaign cost millions. Besides, anything in excess is gonna make you sick no matter what it is...
Maybe i'll just quit eating, seeing as all our consumable resources increase my chances of getting a some disease or other... Oh well, I'm gonna die either way lol.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Imagine a prime ribeye steak, well marbled and about an inch thick. Imagine this steak cooked to a turn with sauted fresh mushrooms and tiny little marble-sized new potatoes and baby carrots and a tossed salad.

Could we substitute tofu and bean sprouts for that meal? Hand me my gun. I want to shoot myself. :x

Just kidding...I think.... :roll:

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
RE: Soy as health food -

Nawww but some perfectly fried falafel balls with grilled vegetables in a pita with some fine tahini-based dressing and hot sauce paired with a nice cold beer beats tofu and bean sprouts anyday :D

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
#juan said:
Imagine a prime ribeye steak, well marbled and about an inch thick. Imagine this steak cooked to a turn with sauted fresh mushrooms and tiny little marble-sized new potatoes and baby carrots and a tossed salad.

Could we substitute tofu and bean sprouts for that meal? Hand me my gun. I want to shoot myself. :x

Just kidding...I think.... :roll:

Well, I won't convince you to become a vegatarian, that is a decision you must make on your own.

I do think that we have the ability now though, to give many people a satisfying vegetarian, or even vegan, diet. And by people, I mean anything but the guys on SNL who go on about the Chicaho Bears and Bulls, eating fried chickens and steaks, and having heart attacks.

Really though, tofu might be junk in a lot of cases, sure. But I've tried some pretty damn fine soy-based substitutes for ground beef (and even cheese substitutes) that goes really well in a macaroni casserole (my favourite meal), which you would not be able to discern from the non-veg type. You often cannot tell if it is in a dish with other flavours present.

I love deep-fried tofu though, especially when breaded and served with cut bell peppers in spicy tzatziki sauce. I suggest you try it next time you are somewhere that offers Asian (more specifically Chinese?) dishes (or even cook it yourself, it's not hard). You may be convinced that a vegetarian diet is possible without sacrificing the good tastes.

That said, when I became a vegetarian, by necessity I began experimenting with a great deal of spices, nuts, seeds, veggies, and other things I would have never tried otherwise. Ultimately, I wasn't all about trying to mimic old meat-filled recipes. My horizons broadened, so to speak, and I have never really looked back.

---

That meal you are talkin about sounds pretty good, Mabudon. I think I'm going to try that one out with some beers pretty soon. Love tahini and chick peas in falafels...

---

By the way, any meatarians around? I heard they existed, even though it's mostly a stupid joke.

Mirrormet

Jul 27, 2006
Winnipeg
How about any freegans?
They only eat food they find, never pay for, such as restaurant leftovers etc. But not because they're poor (I know what youre thinking - "homeless?").

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
That's interesting... I have to drink soy milk because i'm lactose intolerant and goat's milk is $5 a gallon where I live... Maybe I shouldn't drink soy milk anymore even though the doctor told me too.. It's kind of scary to think about to especally if you have to drink it because of a milk allergy.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
Re: RE: Soy as health food - scam ?

Mirrormet said:
How about any freegans?
They only eat food they find, never pay for, such as restaurant leftovers etc. But not because they're poor (I know what youre thinking - "homeless?").

Hmm... there are folks with at least somewhat anarchic ideals (in the left libertarian sense, for all you property-loving right Libertarians) that do something called dumpster diving.

They can be poor or not and do this, of course. Or perhaps they are poor, maybe even choose to be so, but are intelligent and creative beings who, if they so desired could accumulate wealth. But anyways...

Being a fairly open-minded person (I like to think so, anyhow), I read into dumpster diving and this whole freegan sort of thing you are referring to.

If you can throw aside the qualms that lots of "normal" people in society have with such things, you can be rewarded quite well by looking around in the dumpsters of grocery and department stores.

Apparently, if you do it regularly, you need not buy food ever again. Restaurants and grocery stores throw away vast amounts of food that isn't really bad, and even more on top of this that is just starting to go bad (by most people's standards). You will get used to the stuff that is just starting to go bad, and will develop far stronger defenses against food poisoning, or so they say.

Apparently you can serve it up to friends and the folks will never know it came from a garbage bin! Given that, I guess I would eat it too.

Food aside, they can also get goods out of department store trash. If there is something they need really bad, it will often turn up in the trash after a while. Or they can go into the store and slightly damage an item, and wait for it to wind up in the trash bin.

From here, it continues on with more on how you can live in a different way...... interested? Or just plain disgusted?

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
RE: Soy as health food -

By the way, with regards to the original article....
There are more articles on how isoflavones are good for you than bad.
It's funny, but when discussing isoflavones (not in the context of soy) they are almost always seen as this wonderful thing that helps men decrease their chances of getting prostate cancer, among other things.

So isoflavones are seen by most as good, not bad!