Soora 89

Torch light

House Member
Dec 4, 2017
This great soora of the Glorious Quran may be divided into 4 parts:

Soora 89
(In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)
1. [I swear] by [the zone of] the dawn! a
2. And by the ten nights [preceding the standstill of the earth!] b

3. And by the even c and the odd d !
4. And by the night
e when it will spread [like an infection, from one planet to another.]
5. Will this [threatening and warning] be enough as an oath for a rational man f ?
.......................................................................................................................................................

a It is a swearing for the future; the 'dawn‘ is the zone which will be in between the day [side] and the night [side.] This will happen when the earth will stop its axial rotation, so that (a night which will not be succeeded by a day) will be in one of its hemispheres, while in the other side there will be a day which will not be succeeded by a night.) The zone, by which God swore will be vulnerable, to the falling of comets; which is the same [zone] by which God swore in the Quran 56: 75, which means: (But, no! I swear by the falling [sites] of comets [in the future.]) So the site of the falling down of comets will be where the dawn will be; i.e. it will be between the night and the day.
b Before the complete stopping of the earth from its axial rotation, there will be ten long nights, the duration of each night of them will equal three months. That is because the heat of the earth core will not have completely depleted; therefore, its rotation will be slow. Then after ten long nights, the heat in the core of the earth will finish, so the earth will stop its axial rotation so that the night will be perpetual on it till Doomsday, as will also the day be on the other side.
c i.e. the two planets: Mercury and Venus; because the heat of their cores finished before the heat of the earth's core; for by depletion of the heat, the axial rotation of every planet will end.
d i.e. The planet Mars, which will stop its axial rotation after the standstill of the earth, because it is bigger than the earth; and for this reason God here mentioned the ‗pair‘ before the ‘odd‘, while it is expected that the 'odd‘ should be mentioned before the 'pair‘ according to arithmetic.
e It means that long night. The meaning: It spreads from Mercury to Venus then to the Earth then to Mars, as does the infection spread. So each one of these planets will have a long night on account of the depletion of the heat which is in its core, and each one of them has a period different from the other: The Earth will have a night which will equal one thousand years, while Mars will stop after the stopping of the Earth by about five hundred years, then Doomsday will take place, after Mars complete five hundred years; so this is an oath of threatening and warning about the chastisement of that day and its horrible afflictions. In my book The Universe and the Quran, I have explained these ayat in detail.
f i.e. will such man, who has mind and reason, understand such words, receive admonition, believe in his Lord and comply with His messenger?

Torch light

House Member
Dec 4, 2017
Therefore, the first part of the soora, in the first post, tells about the portents of Doomsday: or the changes that will happen to the earth and the planets before Doomsday: which is a warning and threatening of people about the torment that will afflict the disbelievers: atheists, idolaters and wrongdoers; because these will stay on Earth and cannot go to heaven together with the believers and the angels; i.e. none will remain on Earth than the disbelievers and the devils and will suffer the torment.

Torch light

House Member
Dec 4, 2017
The second part of the soora speaks about the past nations of disbelievers who disbelieved and rebelled against their messengers, and how God dealth with them: He destroyed and terminated them by many ways: violent storms, earthquakes, stone showers, and drowning in the sea.

[Then God – be glorified – described to them the conditions of the ancient who denied the messengers, and how God terminated them with the chastisement, in order that the associaters and idolaters might receive admonition and would not be like the nations that preceded them, so He said:]
Quran 89: 6-14, which mean:
6. Have you not considered how your Lord dealt with [the tribe of] Aad [How God terminated them when they denied their messenger?]
7. And [their city of] Irum with its [high] pillars [built with stones, and its marvelous buildings]?
8. The like of which was never made in the land [in strength and firmness, for it was built with hard rocks; and God – be glorified – terminated them with the violent storms?]

[Then God – be glorified – mentioned another tribe who denied their messenger, so He terminated them with the earthquake on account of their denial, and He said:]
9. And [the tribe of] Thamood who brought the rock [from the mountains and built their dwellings] in the Valley [of Qura.]

[Then God – be glorified – mentioned other people who denied the messengers, and so He terminated them because of their denial, and He said:]
10. And Pharaoh [and his people] with his stakes [of torture.]
11. Who transgressed, beyond the bounds, in the land.
12. And worked much iniquity therein?
13. Therefore, your Lord poured on them various kinds of chastisement. [He terminated them with a mixture of various kinds of punishment like the locust, the insect, the blood and letting the firstborn of them die, and others mentioned in the Quran 7: 133.]
14. Surely, your Lord is [over His Throne] in the place of ambush.)

http://quran-ayat.com/pret/89.htm#a89_6

Last edited:

Torch light

House Member
Dec 4, 2017
The third part of this soora 89 is about the delusion of the poor and the rich:
The rich man thinks that God loves him and so He has given him his riches and he might think that if he goes to the Hereafter, God will not punish him, but will admit him into Paradise in heaven, because He loves and prefers him.
The poor man on the other hand may think that God hates him, and so He has deprived him and restricted his provision and income

While it is only a test: God does not love the rich neither He hates the poor.

Quran 89: 15-20, which mean:
(15. As for man: whenever his Lord tries him [with prosperity] by being Generous to him [with wealth], and by blessing him [with many bounties], he will say: "My Lord has honored me [because He prefers me.]
16. But whenever He tries him [by poverty] and restricts his provision, he says: "Surely my Lord has humiliated me [with the poverty because he hates me.]"

17. Nay, but you do not honor the orphan.
18. And [We hate that] you do not urge [people] on feeding the needy.
19. And [We hate also that] you devour [the annual income of] the inheritance successively [without paying alms to the poor and needy.]
20. And [that] you love [hoarding] the wealth with an ardent love.

See the complete explanation by Mohammed-Ali Hassan Al-Hilly:
http://quran-ayat.com/pret/89.htm#a89_15