Somalia & The Pirates

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I never thought the day would arrive when the USA would allow the kidnapping of one of its citizens in full view of American warships.I understand they still feel the repercutions of the Black Hawk Down mission, but Bush would have sent troops in..no matter what. Obama is now seen as a weak leader.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Obama has ruined any chance of further serious negotiation with the likes of Iran, Russia, China just about anyone. He is a wimp. All he can seem to talk about is the economy which is all very nice, but does squat for the family of the Captain the pirates are holding in a lifeboat. Just sink the life boat, put everyone in the water and pluck the Captain out. :roll:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I never thought the day would arrive when the USA would allow the kidnapping of one of its citizens in full view of American warships.I understand they still feel the repercutions of the Black Hawk Down mission, but Bush would have sent troops in..no matter what. Obama is now seen as a weak leader.
The Mission was called "Operation Gothic Serpent", or in particalur, the "The Battle of Mogadishu". 75th Ranger Regiment, 3rd Battalion, Bravo Company. No offense Missile, but I trained with some of these guys at Benning, even dated one guys sister. I know several guys who died personlly, a couple became close personal friends. It's not something I take lightly. I point this out with all due respect.

No politician want to open that can of beans again. You're fighting people who have little to live for, therefore the ROE means FA to them. Your fighting in an urban environment, civilians will get killed and that makes for bad press for any President or Prime Minister. No one wants to be answering those questions during question period.

Although to make an omelet, you have to break eggs, no one is willing to accept that. The issue ends on the water, it begins on land. A lawless nation, run by people who for intents and purposes are monkeys. That's not a racially motivated comment, it's a fact. They live like animals, they do not value life, they would murder their own for their own self gratification, they have no compunctions about hedonism, so long as its them doing it. They're animals. Slaughter the lot of them and allow the civilized to flourish.

Obama has ruined any chance of further serious negotiation with the likes of Iran, Russia, China just about anyone. He is a wimp. All he can seem to talk about is the economy which is all very nice, but does squat for the family of the Captain the pirates are holding in a lifeboat. Just sink the life boat, put everyone in the water and pluck the Captain out. :roll:
We should start by sending in the 7th and 11th again...Semper Fi.

Hit them where it hurts, hit them hard and cut the head off and end the threat.

End of story.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
yeah, Bear, but it is not the entire city of Mogadisu they need to take on........it is a few dozen pirates........

Paying ransom to these guys is insane; its like hiring people to attack your ships at sea.

Time to slap a little discipline on them.

Unfortunately, by doing so, you put hostages at risk, as the French have shown.....but by backing down and paying, you merely encourage more piracy, with more people at risk.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
yeah, Bear, but it is not the entire city of Mogadisu they need to take on........it is a few dozen pirates........
This is true, but if you go ashore and cut the head off the snake, you end the problem. And lets not forget, if you go ashore in Somolia, you are in hostile territory.
Paying ransom to these guys is insane; its like hiring people to attack your ships at sea.
Yep.

Time to slap a little discipline on them.
The Marines did it once before, I know they can do it again.

Unfortunately, by doing so, you put hostages at risk, as the French have shown.....but by backing down and paying, you merely encourage more piracy, with more people at risk.
Casualties of a new kind of war. I know that sounds harsh and if my sons were in harms way, I might have a different tune. But I doubt it. They already have a military career planned out for themselves. So I'm prepared for the lose. Hurt and all.

Civilization will not come, without great sacrifice.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Four pirates from what the news says. Give me 4 Marines and the job could be don't with little or no causalities. Just punch a hole in the boat and let it sink. The 4 Marines I mentioned would be in scuba gear to pluck everyone out of the water. 200 plus miles is along swim.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Four pirates from what the news says. Give me 4 Marines and the job could be don't with little or no causalities. Just punch a hole in the boat and let it sink. The 4 Marines I mentioned would be in scuba gear to pluck everyone out of the water. 200 plus miles is along swim.
Especially in shark infested waters...;-)

A Marine once told me Sharks don't eat Marines out of professional courtesy. Something to do with "Killing Machines", lol...

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Kill All Pirates. The hostages are dead and the Pirates killed them no one else. No one should be moving through the area or a corridor should be set up for shipping traffic. Sink anything that approaches without authorization.

No negotiation, no mercy.

Somalia has no sentimental value in my heart. Turn the shore into a toxic waste dump and leave that to the warlords.

The Mission was called "Operation Gothic Serpent", or in particalur, the "The Battle of Mogadishu". 75th Ranger Regiment, 3rd Battalion, Bravo Company. No offense Missile, but I trained with some of these guys at Benning, even dated one guys sister. I know several guys who died personlly, a couple became close personal friends. It's not something I take lightly. I point this out with all due respect.

No politician want to open that can of beans again. You're fighting people who have little to live for, therefore the ROE means FA to them. Your fighting in an urban environment, civilians will get killed and that makes for bad press for any President or Prime Minister. No one wants to be answering those questions during question period.

Although to make an omelet, you have to break eggs, no one is willing to accept that. The issue ends on the water, it begins on land. A lawless nation, run by people who for intents and purposes are monkeys. That's not a racially motivated comment, it's a fact. They live like animals, they do not value life, they would murder their own for their own self gratification, they have no compunctions about hedonism, so long as its them doing it. They're animals. Slaughter the lot of them and allow the civilized to flourish.

We should start by sending in the 7th and 11th again...Semper Fi.

Hit them where it hurts, hit them hard and cut the head off and end the threat.

End of story.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Kill All Pirates. The hostages are dead and the Pirates killed them no one else. No one should be moving through the area or a corridor should be set up for shipping traffic. Sink anything that approaches without authorization.

Somalia has no sentimental value in my heart. Turn the shore into a toxic waste dump and leave that to the warlords.
Holy Jeebuz Unf, we finally see eye to eye on an aggressive reaction...8O

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Let's see some Easter spirit. Somalians are people too and have had a tough row to hoe, probably one of the most compromised people on the face of the planet. It's a small world now, we have to put differences aside or at least use them to mutual advantage.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Let's see some Easter spirit. Somalians are people too and have had a tough row to hoe, probably one of the most compromised people on the face of the planet. It's a small world now, we have to put differences aside or at least use them to mutual advantage.

It's been a little too long in Somalia. "The people" have lost a homeland to violent thugs which is taking over the culture. Somalia needs an enema and even though it doesn't look nice or make for a warm and fuzzy news story here at home, the long term gain is a country that can recover because there is no longer any profit in the failed state. Easy pickings are the reason Somalia is the way it is today. Take away that lawless land and the free lunch, things will turn around.

Until then, innocent people well get killed and ships hijacked.

But no one should put it on the US to go sacrifice soldiers to the meat grinder in the name of gentle persuasion. Leave that to political negotiators.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Time to set a trap, place a ship full of gold bullion in a remote corner of the Gulf and when the "rats" surround it drop a hydrogen bomb. LOL

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County

Umm, that's kinda already been done. The fact that foreign countries fished their waters and and dumped toxic waste on their shores served as a catalyst for piracy and is fodder for their apologists. That is still no excuse for what is going on. The Gulf of Aden is a vast stretch of water, and re routing ships, if it were possible, would add 1000's of miles to their jouney. Not until the weak kneed nations and public realise that the only way to protect merchant ships is to have them protect and defend themselves will piracy show any signs of abating. Pirates ruled the Barbary Coast of North Africa for 500 years because commercial vessels could not or would not defend themselves. We just can't seem to learn, when minutes count the navy is only hours away.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Whoa a little bit people, I was just referring to the four pirates and the hostage in the lifeboat, not another all out landing to retake Mogadishu again. Not with this President.

I do agree to stop, sink if necessary every suspected pirate speed boat operating more than 5 miles off the Somali coast. I am still trying to figure out how they let so called pirate boats with supplies to get close to the hostage boat.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Whoa a little bit people, I was just referring to the four pirates and the hostage in the lifeboat, not another all out landing to retake Mogadishu again. Not with this President.

I do agree to stop, sink if necessary every suspected pirate speed boat operating more than 5 miles off the Somali coast. I am still trying to figure out how they let so called pirate boats with supplies to get close to the hostage boat.
Screw that Ironsides, I'm still looking for some payback. I say let the Marines in again. They did a bang up job the first time round.