sign of the times ?

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Parents of a junior hocky player in TO are sueing the coach because their kid didn't make the team.Stuff like this makes me glad I'm a hermit.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Lawsuits are popular and it was a mater of time that this would occur now it all depends on the courts and their ruling, which means organized sports is threatened.

There will be a lot of companies sued from people that didn't get the job.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Parents of a junior hocky player in TO are sueing the coach because their kid didn't make the team.Stuff like this makes me glad I'm a hermit.

Yeah, it just kind of makes me wish we could turn the clocks back 50 years. :iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah, it just kind of makes me wish we could turn the clocks back 50 years. :iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin:
Even 30 years would do just fine. It was still okay to beat up geeks and then take the guff by getting the strap in my day.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta

the Judge is gonna laugh his head off at this and it's gonna get tossed!

not EVERYONE makes the team pal! live with it, it's part of growing up...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Even 30 years would do just fine. It was still okay to beat up geeks and then take the guff by getting the strap in my day.

Actually it was almost 30 years ago that I was a "hockey Dad" and there were morons among the parents then who threatened to beat up the coach etc. etc. , so maybe they are just getting a little braver now but not any stupider. At that time every kid on my son's team was going to be a "Wayne Gretzky" in a few years. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The biggest problem with Youth Sports has always been the parents. There are always a few parents who have loud mouths or think their kid is the best and should be playing this or that position. They just don't get it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I know of one parent here who called the president of the league, and said, "I'm not paying $X a year for my son to play house league. He belongs on an A team! Don't you know who I am?"

Pathetic.

I also know of some parents who used stopwatches to time the shifts so they could complain about how long different players were on the ice.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The biggest problem with Youth Sports has always been the parents. There are always a few parents who have loud mouths or think their kid is the best and should be playing this or that position. They just don't get it.

Right on Eagle Smack- the parents are more childish than the kids. :lol::lol::lol:
When my kids were in sports I always took the position the coach was the boss and if my kids gave them any trouble, they got their asses tanned when they got home. :lol:

I know of one parent here who called the president of the league, and said, "I'm not paying $X a year for my son to play house league. He belongs on an A team! Don't you know who I am?"

Pathetic.

I also know of some parents who used stopwatches to time the shifts so they could complain about how long different players were on the ice.

I suppose with ice hockey (unless you live in an area with home made rinks) there has to be adult involvement- it's too bad - most things we did as kids we did on our own without parents, except maybe just our own watching us.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I have a grandson who is a great little hockey player. It's no longer a few parents who cause problems. Our city is so well known for the problems the parents cause that other cities prefer not to invite teams from here to their tournaments. I guess the bickering and favourtism (among the coaches and their friends whose kids make the top team even though they can barely skate) that goes on is very stressful. My kids want their son to play hockey and he wants to play but it's stressful. Right now he plays very well. That doesn't mean he'll make the NHL. That doesn't even mean he'll be interested in playing in a couple of years. He's just turning 11.

Says a lot about the integrity of the liar that would take the case. I wonder if they got legal aid for it?
That's a whole topic in itself isn't it!!!!!

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Unfortunatly.it doesn't stop when the kids stop being kids,or at least get older,there was a doc on a while ago showing parents negotiating terms of employment and wages for their "children". It gets worse every day,doesn't anybody haul their own water any more?