LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
Anyone else with Royal Bank?

Anyone else not get their money?

Anyone else as mad as I am?

Anyone else want to go in there with a bomb and give em a peice of your mind?!?!

I DO!

I'm changing banks!!! Anyone have any good recommendations? :twisted: :D

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
I'm really about to flip my liddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!

Hurry the *^&*%*% hell up Royal Bank!!!

Expect my bills to pay themselves?!?!
Yeah Next week I'm gunna go in there and tell them to stuff it, and tell them I'm getting my mortgage somewhere else!

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
Yahooo for me!!! Royal bank finally put my pay cheque thru today.

They even charged over draft fees they said they wouldn't!

And from them being so late, I got 2 disconnection notices in the mail today and almost had my power shut off!

Thank you Royal Bank!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Don't get me started on the Royal Bank. I've been with TD for like 17 years, and I love them! It's changed a bit for the worse though since the buyout/visual merger of Toronto Dominion and Canada Trust.

Lets hope we keep these banks under control, or else it will be one big bank with big big programs that effect everyone.

Royal Bank is just too big...

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
The best bank is the President's choice Financial. No fees for anyhing. Been with them simce day 1 seven years ago. I do all my banking online.

Any hackers here?

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
LuShes,

I hope you paid the mortgage. I am moving in and I don't want to be stuck with a payment. LOL

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Hackers? I have for many years done business with a bank here in one of the States. Two years ago, while doing online research in Germany, I took on a passenger. He/she/it deposited $400 USD in my checking account, and left it there for three days, like some Robin Hood. There was no transaction, just a manipulation of the balance in the account from day-one. Then the additional money went away. A couple of nights later, at around 9:00PM, as U.S. President Bush was taking the podium for a prime time news conference--my Dad had it on in the next room--my PC suddenly went berserk. I was online at the time. I lost my drivers. I could boot in safe mode, but there were a lot of things not backed-up I couldn't copy to RW, and I lost them. I had to reformat the hard disk and reinstall everything. It took six days. A real drag. It wasn't the bank's fault that I got hacked, i.e., the hacker penetrated the bank through me. My user IDs and passwords are recorded in my accounting program files. Be careful friends!

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I never had any problems banking online. As a Security Engineer, I have my door to my computers very well locked. sensitive information are stored in gibberish. Hardware/software firewalls, Corporate antivirus.

I am not saying you should do all of the above but at least a good firewall, anti-trojan/ad-aware program, and a very good antivirus program will do. Make sure you update them, otherwise they are as useless as if they are not installed.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
RBC client wants to sue over computer glitch
CTV.ca News Staff

A Royal Bank client wants to launch a class action lawsuit over the "trouble and stress" she suffered as a result of last week's computer problems.

Millions of customers were unable to access payroll deposits and other money in their bank accounts after a computer glitch prevented their account information from being updated. The problem occurred Monday, May 31, and took a week to fix.

The bank has promised to refund any overdraft charges or fees that customers incurred because of the disruption and to reimburse other Canadian financial institutions for certain costs their clients incurred, but Normand Painchaud, the lawyer for one RBC client, says that doesn't go far enough.

Painchaud filed a request Monday to be allowed to proceed with a class action lawsuit seeking $500 in compensation for each individual RBC client.

"(The client) was concerned that although the Royal Bank offered to compensate for fees incurred, the Royal Bank did not offer to compensate for her trouble and her stress," he said.

"We think her case is pretty representative of a lot of people."

Meanwhile, RBC officials are now admitting the glitch was caused by a single worker who entered "a relatively small number" of incorrect pieces of code during a routine software update.

"It was a program change," Martin Lappert, the bank's chief information officer and vice-chairman, told The Globe and Mail. "The guy made some mistakes ... with respect to how he went through the testing process with respect to it. It appears, as we're going through this, that it didn't get tested as fully as it should have been and, as a result, it created the problem.

"So essentially what you have is a piece of code that ends up having a character in a field that it shouldn't be in. That change ends up upsetting a sequence of events."

And that's not the least of the bank's woes. Royal Bank said Wednesday a fraudulent email was circulating to customers asking them for personal information and account passwords.

The message states that if they don't click on the link and key in their client card number and passcode, access to the account will be blocked.

While both the link and the e-mail -- which uses the address support@royalbank.com -- look as though they're official and legitimate, they did not originate from Royal.

The bank is reminding clients never to share online passwords or personal information with anyone.

A spokeswoman said she wasn't aware of any Royal clients who had fallen prey to the e-mail fraud, but feared some customers might believe that it was necessary for them to provide the information given the bank's recent computer problems.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What gets me is that the media portrays it as something that affects RBC customers.....well, what about those of us who DON'T use RBC, but our employers do?

SOL, of course. I did finally get paid, but for banking I prefer my HSBC.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
HSBC is the worst bank. Sorry it is my opinion and might be slightly slanted since I was an employee in their IT department. The point is HSBC charges more for services than any other bank in Canada.

Why not use a CANADIAN bank for our banking and not use foreign banks? Am I asking too much for using a national bank. it is good for out economy.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
moghrabi said:
I never had any problems banking online. As a Security Engineer, I have my door to my computers very well locked. sensitive information are stored in gibberish. Hardware/software firewalls, Corporate antivirus.

I am not saying you should do all of the above but at least a good firewall, anti-trojan/ad-aware program, and a very good antivirus program will do. Make sure you update them, otherwise they are as useless as if they are not installed.

I purchased my first firewall, BlackIce Defender, in the wake of that disaster. Since then, I have switched to Norton. In cyberspace, one may not need phaserbanks, but it's a good idea to have shields!