RIP George Carlin

triedit

inimitable
No I'm not kidding.

Holy ****.

I'm shocked and very saddened

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday, a spokesman said. He was 71.
Carlin, who had a history of heart problems, died at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (2 a.m. British time) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.
Known for his edgy, provocative material, Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine about seven dirty words you could not say on television. A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of his "Filthy Words" routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/mediaN...39172520080623

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I read the thread title and said "you're kidding". First thing I see when I open it is "no, I'm not kidding". lol

Wow unreal. I relate him to a lot of old family memories. Feels like a chunk of my past just left.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
A side note: Alot of people quote things to George Carlin he not only never said, but vehemently opposes to add an aura of legitimacy to it, and he hated it.

(see Snopes.com for details)

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Kinds of farts: The fizz, the fazz, the fizz-fazz, the ripsh*t, the tear-ass and the ones that go whoosh.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I doubt that George Carlin would want people to climb into the rut of sadness over his death. Mr. Carlin was one of those people who used the platform of his art to bring the ludicrousness of our fears into the open. While he had particular and specific difficulties with some of our social institutions, his overarching theme (if I may be so bold) was to point out that we have a responsibility and an obligation to put our beliefs and our "morality" our credoes and our biases under the bright light of introspection. While China may offer that "negative" people make a lot of noise...some of that noise is found in the laughter and silliness found in this delightful entertainers work. The world hasn't fallen apart because a few people smoke marijuana....and the world hasn't fallen apart because some of our most reverently held beliefs are and have been exposed as corrupt fraudulent and entirely backward. He was one of my favorite people. I'll miss him.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A wonder of a human being. Noting the foibles, the flaws, and addressing them in a manner that lifted humanity through humor, rather than attempted to drag it down through disdain. A unique gift to be able to do such. A true wonder.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Kinds of farts: The fizz, the fazz, the fizz-fazz, the ripsh*t, the tear-ass and the ones that go whoosh.
----------------------------------------------------------Walter-------------------------------------------

The sphincter control center detector has alerted me to your post.

Please expand and explain.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
----------------------------------------------------------Walter-------------------------------------------

The sphincter control center detector has alerted me to your post.

Please expand and explain.
It's from a Carlin routine.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
football vs baseball favorite

Comedy great George Carlin died Sunday of heart failure at the age of 71. This is a reprint of his classic bit "The Difference Between Baseball and Football." Excerpted from Brain Droppings by George Carlin, Copyright 1997, Comedy Concepts Inc. Published by Hyperion. All rights reserved.

Baseball is different from any other sport, very different. For instance, in most sports you score points or goals; in baseball you score runs. In most sports the ball, or object, is put in play by the offensive team; in baseball the defensive team puts the ball in play, and only the defense is allowed to touch the ball. In fact, in baseball if an offensive player touches the ball intentionally, he's out; sometimes unintentionally, he's out.

Also: in football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, and all sports played with a ball, you score with the ball and in baseball the ball prevents you from scoring.

In most sports the team is run by a coach; in baseball the team is run by a manager. And only in baseball does the manager or coach wear the same clothing the players do. If you'd ever seen John Madden in his Oakland Raiders uniform, you'd know the reason for this custom.

to read the rest, see:
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8272482/Carlin%3A-The-difference-between-baseball-and-football#

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
A true genius of Comedy. I wonder if he ever realized how much of an icon he was in the 70's.
" Hey, St Peter did ya ever hear the one about God and a...."

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I love George Carlin's humour. I spent one flight between LA and Vancouver laughing outloud every few minutes while reading his book. I'm sure some of the other passengers thought I was nuts, but it made for an enjoyable flight:)

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I just heard about George's passing. He certainly was one of the greats and an original not to be duplicated!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
He was a very good actor too.
He played an old drunk guy in 'STREETS OF LARADO', who was in love with the
mexican mother, and he was great.