Remembrance Day Poppies

Should a well designed brouche poppy be created?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
There has been a lot of hoopla in the news lately about the best way to pin your poppy so it doesn't fall off. How do you pin your poppy? And do you think a better designed poppy should be created?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Remembrance Day Poppi

All they have to do is make a pin cover available or cover the pin itself in cloth.

Since they likely won't, a couple of tricks:

Put a pencil eraser on the end of the pin. It not only holds it in place, but keeps you from getting poked.

Bend the pin.

Both of these require that you put the end of the pin back inside your clothing, but that's not a problem.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
bevvyd said:
And do you think a better designed poppy should be created?

I think the design is good as is because this way you lose several over the few days of wear, and each time you end up buying another, and this is a good thing.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Agreed, but a 'nice' one would be nice too. Like a dressed up version. Still all proceeds to the poppy fund. And since you wouldn't want to wear a 'nice' one on the outside of your jacket you could wear the current ones there and save the 'nice' one for adorning clothing. Still giving.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
I'm not sure about dressed up poppies, bevvy - I'm sure there would be a market for them (in fact you can get them should you want one), but here in the UK traditional paper poppies are actually made by disabled veterans and their dependents. A dressed up version might require more skills etc, and the work might then have to go to another profit-making manufacurer.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I would worry that a new, nicer version of the traditional poppy might facilitate wearing the same poppy two years in a row, or more. One of the "good things" about the current design is that they fall off and you buy another. I would say, "don't change a thing".

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I have the pewter poppy pin I bought from the legion a few years back,but still buy a poppy from one of the vets every year. So,when I asked them about getting a few more of the pewter ones.i was told most people would not buy the usual ones. I do know one cheap ....... who saves the poppy and uses it year after year. :( And,yes, he is of Scottish heritage.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I have to admit that I had to use last years poppy because I hardly carry cash/change anymore, as I use debit. Every time I saw a poppy box I didn’t have change. I don't feel right just taking a poppy.... and I had last years pinned to my wall in my office. (I'm not a Scott either)