Remember when?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
A childhood friend stopped by last night, and our conversation drifted to the way things use to be. I thought it would be nice for us to have a thread where we can discuss some of the "good old days" :wink: and things we remember from childhood. Although this idea is mute for me, as I never left my childhood. We shared alot of the club med holidays of our childhood. That is bible camp. This was in our day a club med holiday. Our favorite ones were the ones where there was more adventures than preaching.

In my day, you could get up at dawn and disappear for the whole day and there would be no amber alert out for you. In my day if you liked a guy, you beat him up, now they have sex. My way was more fun and safer :p
Anyone else have any fond memories of childhood?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Clubbing rats was kind of fun. Here's the method....You get an old hubcap and fill it up with milk. You put it in the middle of the barn and turn out the lights. Sit quietly. When you hear the rats drinking you turn on the lights and start clubbing away. Repeat as needed.

It's a good way to kill an evening...and some rats.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
This is a great idea for a thread.

As it is Halloween, my mind goes back to those great trick-or-treating nights when kids went trick-or-treating with each other and adults were assigned to stay home and dole out the goods, which is the proper order of things.

We would have our pockets crammed full of firecrackers to set off along the way - in those days, nobody knew they were 'dangerous', they were just loads of fun - and we gulped down a good percentage of our candy as it came to us.

Our costumes weren't very creative by today's standards, and the houses we visited didn't have much dressing-up done to them, but we sure did have fun, and we sure did eat a lot of candy. Our over-active imaginations made up for any apparent lack of dressing-up of houses or costumes.

The very best Halloweens ever were the foggy ones. Funny, I can still picture those nights. Fellow monsters and ghouls and witches emerging creepily from the fog as we walked along deserted streets. No adults anywhere, just porch lights burning eerily in the mist, dogs barking off in the distance, lots of awesome spookiness. It was better than anything manufactured today, I'm sure of it.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I remember our first Halloween in Ottawa. It was pretty much the same as Halloween on the prairies, but we didn't have to wear winter parkas over our costumes. Now that was cool.

I also remember that my brother got an Ex-Lax bar in his bag somehow. He missed school for a few days.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hey! PeaPod

I laugh each time I see your avatar. An excellent choice.

Anyways; I remember the morning after Halloween and when me and my twin compared our stash of sweets. We often traded candy like one would do with a baseball card collection.

I never liked candy apples. The apples were always bruised and had several brown or discoloured spots on them.
Chewing gum was always well appreciated.
It seemed our parents had more fun than us kids. For kids to run around and collect the booty is hard work.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Hey Parnanoid you are making me paranoid, giving me a avartar with my name on it :p thanks. And I knew some twins once, well I still know them, but I knew them better when one was my boyfriend, and they would play tricks on me :wink:

We hated the houses that gave us apples and that halloween candy. We could get apples anytime right in the front yard. :p Sometimes we would sneak back and egg a window or two. A little reminder to have better candy next year :p It was so much fun to see little herds of horrid creatures scurry from neighbourhood to neighbourhood. And yes the trip to the graveyard.....now that was scary 8O

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
We're giving away Wagon Wheels this year, along with Rockets and other forms of pressed sugar. I hope kids still like Wagon Wheels.

The cool thing is that I'm having Wagon Wheels and beer for supper. Just call me Mr. Nutrition.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
We get hardly any kids in our neighbourhood. There are not really any kids living in the neighbourhood either. I have not really seen to manner tricker or treaters in victoria. Where did all the trick or treaters go any way. There use to be hoards of them. And now I await the arrival of my evil partner galaniomama so we can creep out for some candy....mwaaaahahahhahahahahahahahhah

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
Hey Rev, did you know that Rockets aren't Rockets in the states. They call them Smarties. And the Smarties we have (the candy coated chocolate) they don't have at all.

Yeah, I know it has nothing to do with this thread, but I tought it was interesting.

As for fod memories of childhood. I mostly just remember how much time my brother and I spent outside, playing pretend, using our imaginations, and just being kids. We only watched TV on special occasions, and didn't have any type of video game system until I was well into my late teens. Kids these days just miss out on all the fun your imagination can produce!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Remember when?

Diamond Sun said:
True enough. Besides, adults don't have near the imagination kids do... :)

The thing is, even imaginative adults will try to put their imaginative ideas on kids instead of just letting the kids find their own magical imaginative pursuits.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
and didn't have any type of video game system until I was well into my late teens.

We had an Intellivision game when I was a teenager. Then me and my buddies got drunk and had a water fight in the basement one January afternoon and the Intellivision didn't work anymore. :(

Now there's a memory...skipping school and hunkering down in the basement with a bunch of beer.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Reverend Blair said:
Now there's a memory...skipping school and hunkering down in the basement with a bunch of beer.

Now that's got me to remembering my first time drunk. We skipped school, went to my friend's house, and drank diluted wine, pretending that it was communional wine (two of us were taking Anglican confirmation lessons at the time, ergo the theme). Boy did I get sick. I decided it was the water that made me sick, not the wine. Even then, I was so damn smart. :cool:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
hehehe first drunk. Funny how you always remember the "firsts" just like they happened yesterday. The first time I ever got drunk was in Qualicum beach. A carload of us drove there from Port Alberni on a Friday night. We were all down on the beach, and had a bon fire. Than 2 bottles of southern comfort were passed around clockwise and counter clockwise. No mix just straight out of the bottle. Than we drank two more bottles. It was a night of adventure. There fist fights, there were breakups, there were tears, there was rage. I stumbled for hours in and out crazy stuff. I think I was part of some it. I don't recall. Just before dawn we drove the road back to Port Alberni, passing around more southern comfort. I could never drink southern comfort again. Most of all tho we could have killed someone, or ourselves. It went on alot back than, drinking and drivng.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I think I was part of some it

god, that's got to be the understatement of the year. you take the award for that one alone pea..........

you know, i don't remember my first drunk. god, what is wrong with me??? maybe it's because i haven't left my drunken stupor yet. i dunno....i think i missed out on a lot being a kid/teenager. that's it - i'm a misfit. man, this is really starting to piss me off that i can't remember. maybe that's the problem....back to work, this is driving me nuts 8O

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
pea, i am finding that picture of you on your avatar very disturbing. put it to bed please. it is too scary and truthful. :evil:

the thing is, you ride a bigger broom than that though. :twisted:

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
Hmmm. First drink was when I was 14 and camping with my parents. Me and my cousin split a cooler we had stolen from my parents. (Yes, wish I could still split a cooler!)

First real drunk. Grade 12 pre grad sleepover. Good god. Do not ever mix Rum, Rye, Vodka, Coolers and beer and expect to be okay the next day, or even the day after that.