Reform leader slams U.S. religious right.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Rabbi Eric Yoffie, president of the liberal Union for Reform Judaism, said "religious right" leaders believe "unless you attend my church, accept my God and study my sacred text you cannot be a moral person."

"What could be more bigoted than to claim that you have a monopoly on God?"

conservatives too narrowly define family values, making a "frozen embryo in a fertility clinic" more important than a child, and ignoring poverty and other social ills.

"When they cloak themselves in religion and forget mercy, it strikes us as blasphemy," Yoffie said, urging a renewal of religious tolerance in the United States. "We need beware the zealots who want to make their religion the religion of everyone else."

Yoffie also urged lawmakers to model themselves on presidential candidate John F. Kennedy, who famously told a Houston clergy group on the campaign trail in 1960 that a president should not make policy based on his religion.

http://web.israelinsider.com/Articles/Politics/7069.htm

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think Rabbi Eric Yoffie, might preach his tune to his own flock.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Reform leader slams U

Why? Your radical right Christian leaders insist on not only preaching their message to the entire world, but trying to pass their archaic and bigoted views into legislation.

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)

Precisely, Rev. And those of us who are non-Christians resent being told that we must either become Christians or at least pretend outwardly to be Christians and live as though we were in order to be welcome in our own country and society.

I wonder how the members of the Religious Reich would feel if THEY were the ones being told that their own religious identity wasn't good enough.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Why? Becuse his flock needs to hear it.

""What could be more bigoted than to claim that you have a monopoly on God?""

I mean come on....Who claims what in the world?

How did Jesus put it? Oh ya....

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005

Jay, Liberal jews don't claim to have a monopoly on God or that the only way a person can be moral is by being Jewish.

From the article about Yoffie's speech:

Yoffie did not mention evangelical Christians directly in his speech, using the term "religious right" instead. In a separate interview, he said the phrase encompassed conservative activists of all faiths, including within the Jewish community.

Yoffie said the activists have little understanding of the liberal religious community, which he insisted also grounds its beliefs in biblical teaching. "We study religious texts day and night, but we have no direct lines to heaven and we aren't always sure that we know God's will," he said. "We bring a measure of humility to our religious belief."

I think you're rather missing the point of the whole discussion here. Is there a particular reason you're attempting to turn the focus onto Jews?[/i]

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005

He's talking about religious zealots of whatever religion, Jay, no mention of christianity, in particular. I can only assume you recognised something in his comments that applies to the Christian right ...

But if the cap fits ...

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005

Yes, and to be fair I myself probably should have worded my own post somewhat differently rather than pointing specifically and only at Christians. Though admittedly my own personal experience has been with uberconservative rightwing Christians, as I have little experience with Jews of the same stripe, I know they do exist.

Being neither Christian nor Jewish, and being a member of a liberal religion myself, I simply have problems with uberconservative anything.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
You and I both know what is meant by "religious right" As I said, he should tend to his flock.

"Is there a particular reason you're attempting to turn the focus onto Jews"

Don't bother with your implications.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
You meant to touch a nerve. That is what those sorts of implications do, and I think you know that.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Re: RE: Reform leader slams U.S. religious right.

Jay said:

That's exactly what he was doing. He was speaking at The Union for Reform Judaism's national assembly. Read the article, and you'll see that. I repeat: He referred to the religious right, in general - Christians don't have a monopoly on bigotry, Jay.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Hard-Luck Henry said:
Jay said:

That's exactly what he was doing. He was speaking at The Union for Reform Judaism's national assembly. Read the article, and you'll see that. I repeat: He referred to the religious right, in general - Christians don't have a monopoly on bigotry, Jay.

It's a good article. Thanks for posting it.

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005

Jay said:
You meant to touch a nerve. That is what those sorts of implications do, and I think you know that.

Of course I know that. It's the reason I posted it in the first place.

Duh.

I notice you haven't answered my question about whether the RR should preach exclusively to its own "flock", though. Going to?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Summer said:
Jay said:

Of course I know that. It's the reason I posted it in the first place.

Duh.

I notice you haven't answered my question about whether the RR should preach exclusively to its own "flock", though. Going to?

Yes you may have noticed....that is why I didn't reply to it...Duh.