Real Music?

MnJ001

Jan 20, 2005
Ok,being new to the board,and trying to check out Canada as a place to live,real music is mega important to both of us,so the question is , hows the live music scene all over,wheres the best place for what we would call "pub rock" and hows the native music scene generally?

In the Uk at the moment we are drowning in crap manufactured bands that record companies can make a quick buck out of and drop,while true musicians in real bands that have been playing the club scene for years never ever get a look in.

i'd be interested in all angles and ages on this .......

MnJ001

Jan 20, 2005
Ok,being new to the board,and trying to check out Canada as a place to live,real music is mega important to both of us,so the question is , hows the live music scene all over,wheres the best place for what we would call "pub rock" and hows the native music scene generally?

In the Uk at the moment we are drowning in crap manufactured bands that record companies can make a quick buck out of and drop,while true musicians in real bands that have been playing the club scene for years never ever get a look in.

MnJ001

Jan 20, 2005

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
I actually find more interesting musicians busking on the streets of downtown Seattle than I have in pubs for a long, long time. I know Winnipeg had some good bands at the Forks in the summer. Of course there is always the Folk Festival if you want to find new and interesting stuff, along with some favourites. I guess it all depends on your taste.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
I actually find more interesting musicians busking on the streets of downtown Seattle than I have in pubs for a long, long time. I know Winnipeg had some good bands at the Forks in the summer. Of course there is always the Folk Festival if you want to find new and interesting stuff, along with some favourites. I guess it all depends on your taste.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle

NSA

Nominee Member
Jan 20, 2005
Guelph, Ontario
Canada has a great music scene. Our most internationally well-known acts tend to be people like Bryan Adams and Celine (shudder) Dion, but there are a gazillion smaller, but much more talented, artists touring around constantly. A major city like Toronto will have buckets of great concerts each month, but even a smaller city will usually have some good bar shows almost every week. Since I don't know your tastes in music, I won't recommend any specific artists but I'm sure that whatever you like, there's someone doing it well in Canada.

(For a start check out http://www.maplemusic.com/)

NSA

Nominee Member
Jan 20, 2005
Guelph, Ontario
Canada has a great music scene. Our most internationally well-known acts tend to be people like Bryan Adams and Celine (shudder) Dion, but there are a gazillion smaller, but much more talented, artists touring around constantly. A major city like Toronto will have buckets of great concerts each month, but even a smaller city will usually have some good bar shows almost every week. Since I don't know your tastes in music, I won't recommend any specific artists but I'm sure that whatever you like, there's someone doing it well in Canada.

NSA

Nominee Member
Jan 20, 2005
Guelph, Ontario