Putin threatens preventive terror actions

Jillyvn

Electoral Member
Sep 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Putin threatens preventive terror actions
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Vladimir Isachenkov

Sept. 17, 2004 | MOSCOW (AP) -- President Vladimir Putin said Friday that Russia is "seriously preparing'' for pre-emptive strikes against terrorists, as Chechen warlord Shamil Basayev claimed responsibility for a school hostage-taking and other attacks that have claimed more than 430 lives.

Speaking to a meeting of world mayors in Moscow, Putin also made a veiled attack on the West, saying that double standards in dealing with terrorism are "disastrous for global security.''

Putin didn't name any specific countries, but his comments appeared to be aimed against European and U.S. officials who have urged Moscow to conduct peace talks with Chechen rebels.

"There continue to be attempts to divide terrorists into 'ours and others,' into 'moderates and radicals,' " Putin said in televised remarks. "All this is a condescending, justifying attitude to murderers, which amounts to being an accomplice to terrorism.''

Putin firmly ruled out any "bargaining'' with terrorists. "Every concession leads to aggression, a widening of their demands and multiplies the losses,'' he said.

The president said that "now in Russia, we are seriously preparing to act preventively against terrorists,'' adding such action would be "in strict accordance with the law and norms of the constitution, norms of international law.''

Putin didn't elaborate, and it wasn't immediately clear whether he was referring to action against terrorists only at home or abroad as well. Lower-level officials, including Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov, have said that Russia could conduct pre-emptive strikes against terrorists abroad, saying such action could involve any weapons except nuclear.

I think this guy scares me more than Bush.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Putin threatens preve

They scare me equally, Jilly. There are reports that they prayed together in the Oval Office...they are very much alike.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It was bound to happen when Bush made "pre-emption" part of his war on terror. If the US can do whatever they want, then so can other countries. It isn't very surprising at all the Russia decided to step up to the plate...they've been doing it all along anyway, it's just now they can do it in public.

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
Geopolitics at it's best...

Russians Blast US-UK Sponsorship Of Chechen Terror

In the wake of the terrorist atrocity at a school in Beslan, North Ossetia, in the Russian Federation, Russian President Vladimir Putin has made remarks to the western press which expose the key role of the US and British governments in backing Chechen terrorism. Whatever Putin's previous role in events regarding Chechnya, his current political posture is one which sharply undercuts the legitimacy of the supposed Anglo-American "war on terror," and which points up the hypocrisy of the Bush regime's pledge that it will make no distinction between the terrorists and those who harbor them -- since Washington and London are currently harboring Chechens implicated in terrorism.

All in all, Putin's response to Chechen events has, with the third anniversary of 9/11, brought the collapse of the official 9/11 myth measurably closer. The hypocritical terror demagogy of Bush and Blair has now been undercut by the head of state of another permanent member of the UN Security Council...

On Monday September 6, Putin spoke for three and one half hours with a group of some 30 western correspondents and Russia experts at his dacha near Novo Ogarevo outside Moscow. There is no official transcript so far, but accounts have been published in The Guardian, The Independent, and Le Monde. The Washington Post waited until Friday, September 10 to publish an article, but left out the most significant remarks. There are now signs that the Anglo-American press is beginning a new campaign against Putin as a dictator, stressing the obvious in order to silence his attacks on the US-UK sponsorship of Chechen terror.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/TAR409A.html

As commented on another thread, this does play well into western oil concerns...

and as a sidebar to false-flagging and general support of another's enemies...

Iraqis Not Behind Italian Hostages Kidnap: Guardian
A leading British daily Thursday, September 16, cast heavy doubts on the identity of kidnappers that snatched two Italian aid workers in Baghdad days ago, citing clear differences in the style of carrying out the operation.

The Guardian said the kidnapping of Simona Torretta and Simona Pari has the mark of an undercover foreign operation in a bid to discredit the unabated Iraqi resistance against US occupation forces.

http://www.islamonline.org/English/News/2004-09/16/article06.shtml

At times it can be difficult at first to discern, is it a real terrorist act or false-flagged or covertly supported?

"It is real or Memorex?"

Geo-politics at it's best...

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Putin threatens preve

Reverend Blair said:
They scare me equally, Jilly. There are reports that they prayed together in the Oval Office...they are very much alike.

Honestly, Rev, I don't think Putin should scare anybody as much as Bush does. Russia is an economically bankrupt country with little resources to pull off some of what Bush has managed to do. Come on, atleast when it was the Soviet Union, they could finance it through their own economy... but not it's a free-market and, well, somewhat difficult.

I just don't think it's fair to compare Bush and Putin as equals :p

Jillyvn

Electoral Member
Sep 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Re: RE: Putin threatens preve

Andem said:
Reverend Blair said:

Honestly, Rev, I don't think Putin should scare anybody as much as Bush does. Russia is an economically bankrupt country with little resources to pull off some of what Bush has managed to do. Come on, atleast when it was the Soviet Union, they could finance it through their own economy... but not it's a free-market and, well, somewhat difficult.

I just don't think it's fair to compare Bush and Putin as equals :p

Russia is just newly out of a dictatorial style of government, and I don't even think it's really all that non-dictatorial based on what I've heard. Given my own ignorance in this topic, I am still willing to say that Russia is teetering on the brink of a full fledged dictatorship, and if this comes in again, Putin WILL have a blank check to use all their stockpiles of nukes. I wouldn't underestimate the importance of this new declaration. It scares the heck out of me.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Russia still has a lot of nukes, there was apparently a lot of new technology on display at their last parade, and they have said that they will develop technology to stay even with the US regarding Star Wars. To me that doesn't sound like a country we shouldn't worry about.

T. Rex

Nominee Member
Russia is a country that we should KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON. Their country is still experiencing a change from Soviet style ecomony to one like the USA. The people in that country are feeling the pain and where we have pain, we have growing want for change and more power.

The direction Russia will go is back to it's old style. They are already heading that way.

Zed

Sep 28, 2004
Edmonton
www.artwanted.com
I just read that Putin is scrapping elections for the regional governors and appointing them himself :roll: . Sounds like a dictatorship to me.
Whatever Putin's previous role in events regarding Chechnya, his current political posture is one which sharply undercuts the legitimacy of the supposed Anglo-American "war on terror," and which points up the hypocrisy of the Bush regime's pledge that it will make no distinction between the terrorists and those who harbor them -- since Washington and London are currently harboring Chechens implicated in terrorism.
Most of those "terrorists" were elected to thier positions before Putin put an end to it. Chechnya has been in an independent frame of mind for decades. Instead of Russia using negotiation they have used brutality(sounds familiar)to try and control Chechnya. Estimates of up to 200,000 killed are being used. This includes the first war which Yeltsin conducted. I'm not sympathetic to terrorism but both sides can be said to employ it as a tactic.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Russia is a country that we should KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON.

The same can be said of the USA, T.Rex. They are in deep financial trouble, have massive social problems that are not being addressed, and an ever-increasing number of people who feel alienated by the government. They have shown a complete lack of respect for international law and are currently involved in a war for oil.

Russia, at least, is not right next door.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Good heavens. All that Putin is doing is saying THE SAME THING that Bush did; Bush made it very clear that the US claims the right to go after terrorists...is there anyone out there who still believes that Bush & Co are particularly more ethical than Putin & Co??? Get off it.

Remember that the USSR invaded Afghanistan after being tired of terrorism...so the west boycotted the Moscow Olympics, and then the US hired some guy to fight the USSR....what was his name? Oh,yeah, bin Laden.....my my my, what goes around comes around, eh?