Public Inquiries into Emergencies Act begin September 19

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
In 2020, those truckers were driving unvaccinated across the border right into the height of the pandemic.
In the first year of the pandemic, Canada just didn’t have access to vaccinations for COVID unlike the US, but transport (as essential) didn’t/couldn’t stop.

All of Canada’s (vaccination) eggs were in the Chinese basket, so that never happened. With 30 unvaccinated drivers on the road internationally for that first year, not one of them caught COVID out of our fleet. Extreme social distancing. No hotels or restaurants, just fast food drive through windows that they walked up to, etc…pay at the pumps for fuel.

These truckers would all come through my office, & I never got COVID that first year.
In the early stages, I was just as concerned as everyone else. By 2021, this happened:

<iframe src="https://globalnews.ca/video/embed/8156684/" width="670" height="372" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen scrolling="no"></iframe>

I don't know how to post a video clip on the site.
Not that we where hauling food or medications, but RV’s…but we where deemed essential. Turns out camping was one of the few things people were allowed to do.
I'll ask you, since you seem relatively sane on the subject. Is mandating/refusing a vaccine a matter of right, or a political/administrative consideration?
By the time Canada initially got vaccines, the Americans I know had at least their first two shots & some a few boosters. Others that chose not to be vaccinated just didn’t get vaccinated as that was their choice as Americans.

In the next year, when Canada had vaccination’s, 29/30 drivers (not happily) got their at least first two shots to continue being employed & engaged in cross border shipping. The 1 driver that abstained we managed to keep busy just in Canada but it was a logistical headache by itself. If there was more than 1 it just wouldn’t have worked.

When the Trucker Convoy happened, there was much empathy/sympathy from our Fleet, but we were too busy to have anyone (officially or not) directly involved in it.

Reactions: Taxslave2

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The great thing about dealing with a hypothetical.
So, if we are talking about a world pandemic Ebola would be the greater threat.

In 2020, those truckers were driving unvaccinated across the border right into the height of the pandemic. In the early stages, I was just as concerned as everyone else. By 2021, this happened:

<iframe src="https://globalnews.ca/video/embed/8156684/" width="670" height="372" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen scrolling="no"></iframe>

I don't know how to post a video clip on the site.
In most of 2020 there was not a vax. And not in Canada until early 2021. As to forcing truckers to be vaxed, I really don't have an opinion. I can see both sides of the argument.

Reactions: Retired_Can_Soldier

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
In the first year of the pandemic, Canada just didn’t have access to vaccinations for COVID unlike the US, but transport (as essential) didn’t/couldn’t stop.
I never said there was a vaccine. I said they were unvaccinated and doing a job. I can see where the confusion might arise.
All of Canada’s (vaccination) eggs were in the Chinese basket, so that never happened. With 30 unvaccinated drivers on the road internationally for that first year, not one of them caught COVID out of our fleet. Extreme social distancing. No hotels or restaurants, just fast food drive through windows that they walked up to, etc…pay at the pumps for fuel.

These truckers would all come through my office, & I never got COVID that first year.
Safety, HR, or Operations?
Not that we where hauling food or medications, but RV’s…but we where deemed essential. Turns out camping was one of the few things people were allowed to do.

By the time Canada initially got vaccines, the Americans I know had at least their first two shots & some a few boosters. Others that chose not to be vaccinated just didn’t get vaccinated as that was their choice as Americans.
Some people seem to think I am anti-vax for supporting their right to protest.
In the next year, when Canada had vaccination’s, 29/30 drivers (not happily) got their at least first two shots to continue being employed & engaged in cross border shipping. The 1 driver that abstained we managed to keep busy just in Canada but it was a logistical headache by itself. If there was more than 1 it just wouldn’t have worked.

When the Trucker Convoy happened, there was much empathy/sympathy from our Fleet, but we were too busy to have anyone (officially or not) directly involved in it.
I think what folks don't get is that my bitch is about the EA being used and what led up to it.

When a government goes that far, it makes it easier for future governments to abuse that power.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
In most of 2020 there was not a vax. And not in Canada until early 2021. As to forcing truckers to be vaxed, I really don't have an opinion. I can see both sides of the argument.
Same. They were not jabbed, but still doing the job using all the steps we were told to use. Safe distance, don't breath moistly.
The way the government handled it isn't dissimilar to how they handled the carbon tax. Some Canadians didn't have to jab, while others did.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I never said there was a vaccine. I said they were unvaccinated and doing a job. I can see where the confusion might arise.
I was just telling my story as it happened. Ironically, in that first year, nobody got Covid on our fleet, or in our office, and we were exposed to 30 drivers consistently travelling unvaccinated through the US a couple times each month for each driver. Go figure. I never had to bring that pestilence home… or take it from home to work.
1706394223065.jpeg
Safety, HR, or Operations?
Yes, to all, & several other hats, all at the same time. Only 30 drivers/leased operators…& the office staff was both of us. Two people. Every role you can possibly imagine we filled between the two of us. Bringing in over a 1000 RV annually year after year.
1706394143056.jpeg
Some people seem to think I am anti-vax for supporting their right to protest.
You sound like “just about” every trucker. Period. 29/30 (96%+) of our fleet ended up vaccinated in that second year, and most didn’t want to, but that’s the game we were playing in order to remain compliant. Running full tilt just on the inside edge of legality.
1706394286714.jpegFor time it was probably 75% in the US and 25% in Canada mileage wise, so a lot of exposure to US Talk-Radio, because there was not much exposure to actual human beings in the first year. It was how most of them stayed sane.
1706394331836.jpeg
I think what folks don't get is that my bitch is about the EA being used and what led up to it.
I get it. Most of our fleet would not have gotten vaccinated if they really had a choice in the matter, but people gotta eat, and that’s the game we were playing which was cross border shipping. Given the chance, probably a full 1/3 of our fleet would’ve been in Ottawa if they could’ve been, all fully vaccinated, but opposed to being forced to be. Ultimately none of them were because none of them had the time to do so.
1706394389512.jpegOne guy….Tinfoil hat, and everything, was absolutely adamant about not getting vaccinated…& we worked around it but it was a real pain in the arse.
1706394555894.jpeg
When a government goes that far, it makes it easier for future governments to abuse that power.
Yep. I concur with your assessment of the situation.
Same. They were not jabbed, but still doing the job using all the steps we were told to use. Safe distance, don't breath moistly.
The way the government handled it isn't dissimilar to how they handled the carbon tax. Some Canadians didn't have to jab, while others did.
Those in power could get exceptions, and those is not in power had to eat, had to have the ability to enter pharmacies, buy groceries, alcohol, gasoline, go to work, etc…

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Eternal truth. When the Real Americans were getting all riled up after 9/11, and Bush the Lesser was proposing all kinds of draconian limits on rights in the name of "security," I'd slow 'em down a bit by saying "Remember, any power you grant to George Bush will one day be wielded by President Hillary Clinton."

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Eternal truth. When the Real Americans were getting all riled up after 9/11, and Bush the Lesser was proposing all kinds of draconian limits on rights in the name of "security," I'd slow 'em down a bit by saying "Remember, any power you grant to George Bush will one day be wielded by President Hillary Clinton."
It began operations on March 1, 2003 after being formed as a result of the Homeland Security Act of 2002, enacted in response to the September 11 attacks. With more than 240,000 employees, DHS is the third-largest Cabinet department, after the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs.
Whereas the Department of Defense is charged with military actions abroad, the Department of Homeland Security works in the civilian sphere to protect the United States within, at, and outside its borders. Its stated goal is to prepare for, prevent, and respond to domestic emergencies, particularly terrorism.

On March 1, 2003, DHS absorbed the U.S. Customs Service and Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and assumed its duties.

The Department of Homeland Security is the largest federal law enforcement agency with approximately 80,000 officers across nine agencies and offices: U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) — CBP's priority mission is to keep terrorists and their weapons out of the United States.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I liked the one where wait and kitchen staff did not require vac yet customers did .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Now you know what it's like for us working stiffs trying to deal with a fooking lawyer.
And 1 900 numbers
"Come on, come on, this is costing me money!" --Homer Simpson
I was entirely willing to work through it with you.

But yes, easier to just bellow "'Tain't raht!" than to develop a way of analyzing government action vs. individual rights.

Reactions: Retired_Can_Soldier

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I was entirely willing to work through it with you.

But yes, easier to just bellow "'Tain't raht!" than to develop a way of analyzing government action vs. individual rights.
My original answer was an honest one. It would have to be a case-by-case thing based on severity and mortality. I can't say where the line is without actually seeing it in play. Not that anyone of authority is going make their judgment based on my ranting. LOL, Thank goodness.

It's a fair question, but this was more about politics than public health. Should we mandate vaccinations? I think case by case, it is always a topic for discussion and debate.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
While many national security secrets must necessarily remain secret, former heads of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) and the Communications Security Establishment (CSE) said the inquiry should challenge government secrecy around certain information relevant to the probe.

“I think it is very important for the credibility of agencies and for the people of Canada and parliamentarians to understand why agencies are doing what they’re doing, to understand the good work that is being done for the people of Canada,” said Alan Jones, a former Assistant Director at CSIS in charge of operations, at the commission’s hearing Wednesday morning. “The only way to do that is to be more transparent.”

The discussions on national security and confidentiality of information will help set the stage for the commission's next public hearings, likely to take place at the end of March.

The March hearings are intended to delve into allegations of foreign interference by China, India, Russia and others in the 2019 and 2021 federal elections, with a report on these matters due May 3.
“We know that the PRC sought to clandestinely and deceptively influence the 2019 and 2021 federal elections,” according to the briefing released by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service.

The declassified document, dated Feb. 24, 2023, is titled, “Briefing to the Minister of Democratic Institutions on Foreign Interference.” It called China “by far the most significant threat.”

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's because he's a Liberal staffer.
Actually, Balcony Guy is a senior policy adviser for parliamentary affairs in the office of Liberal Government House leader Steve MacKinnon.

If he was a plumber somewhere, this would be a non-issue…but he’s not. In all honesty, I’ve never heard of the guy before yesterday. Couldn’t care less.