Preferred Horror Films: Gore or Psychological

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Saw 5 is out and I was wondering if most prefer these gorefests to the other type of horror movie: i.e. Blair Witch Project. Me: that's the sort of film that I enjoy, as my imagination conjurs up unknown and unseen terrors[and not cut and slashers.]The only other film that really scared the you know what out of me was The Exorcist:smile:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Saw 5 is out and I was wondering if most prefer these gorefests to the other type of horror movie: i.e. Blair Witch Project. Me: that's the sort of film that I enjoy, as my imagination conjurs up unknown and unseen terrors[and not cut and slashers.]The only other film that really scared the you know what out of me was The Exorcist:smile:

The Exorcist I agree with. Blair Witch made 300 million U.S. and in my opinion sucked.
I prefer psychological thrillers though. Slash and bash has seen it day.
But try the Roger Corman movies of the 50s & 60s. Too much.

The Grudge really put a shot to my head.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
How about movies that are both: Gore & Psychological....

Jaws....and its sequels would fit, in my opinion.

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
Neither. Horror movies do absolutely nothing for me. If there's gore I just get disgusted (not in the "eeeeew blood!!" way, but more the "why is this okay for people to view??" way.

I just find the psychological ones boring.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I used to like horror films, the psychological kind, but I guess my nerves are not what they used to be, I'd much rather watch some comedy or fantasy movie now :lol:
However, I did get to watch the Hostel a short time ago... Terrible, just terrible... Like Amber said, why is it okay for people to view that? and why is it okay to shoot this kind of films?

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I used to like horror films, the psychological kind, but I guess my nerves are not what they used to be, I'd much rather watch some comedy or fantasy movie now :lol:
However, I did get to watch the Hostel a short time ago... Terrible, just terrible... Like Amber said, why is it okay for people to view that? and why is it okay to shoot this kind of films?

Just a personal observation: MONEY

If not, then why Saw V ?

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
Of course it's driven by money.. people like to be "shocked" and will pay to see it. And yet.. doesn't it bother you that it's more okay to watch people be slaughtered than it is to watch them have sex? Talk about backwards... violence and blood are good but love and passion are not?

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Of course it's driven by money.. people like to be "shocked" and will pay to see it. And yet.. doesn't it bother you that it's more okay to watch people be slaughtered than it is to watch them have sex? Talk about backwards... violence and blood are good but love and passion are not?
Violence for the sake of violence sucks. Watching love works better.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The Exorcist I agree with. Blair Witch made 300 million U.S. and in my opinion sucked.
I prefer psychological thrillers though. Slash and bash has seen it day.
But try the Roger Corman movies of the 50s & 60s. Too much.

The Grudge really put a shot to my head.
I agree. I saw absolutely no point to Blair Witch. And psychological thrillers are the way to go.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

*tsk tsk*

Didn't I warn you about that horrible movie?:p;-):lol: That is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I don't mind the Saw movies(I've only seen the first two so far), but I think they need to spread out the sequels instead of having a new Saw every year.

The truly scary thing about Hostel is that it made enough money to spawn Hostel 2.

I would rather watch a movie like Pan's Labyrinth. That is a magical film that I would watch multiple times.:cool: The soundtrack(which I bought) is one of my favourite as well! It is hauntingly beautiful.:smile: