Ponderables: Pick an era, any era

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
I will NOT reply until you start a new thread.

Only then will discuss my addictions.

I WILL agree to appear on Oprah-- if the online community votes that way.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
I will be autographing my new book, "Haggis and Me-- Shared Hidden Anguish of Keyboard Abusers', Mon, Wed and Fri, while Haggis posts.

He will sign Tues, Thurs and Sat while I post.

Sundaym we'll arm wrestle for posting rights.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Well I started a new thread, and there it sits, empty and forlorn, a derelict, a has-been, a nobody, a never-will-be, a wallflower, a sad and terrible waste. Verbs, nouns, adjectives, all gone to waste! Alas!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
researchok said:
I will be autographing my new book, "Haggis and Me-- Shared Hidden Anguish of Keyboard Abusers', Mon, Wed and Fri, while Haggis posts.

He will sign Tues, Thurs and Sat while I post.

Sundaym we'll arm wrestle for posting rights.

I'm still trying to remember how to hold a pen. My fingers are on the 'keyboard' setting and I can't delete the setting to save my as.... um, fingers. So, the Tues, Thurs and Sat signings might be delayed.

Oprah just called, wants to stick her silly 'Oprah Thinks This Book is Groovy' sticker on our book. I said sure, but can you dance? She hasn't got back to me.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Pen? Wat dat?

I was gonna bring my label maker.

Just tell O I'm a regular on the 'Happiness Journal'

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
You know you might be right Haggis about living in a hard time or living through some horrible ordeal. I have come to this conclusion because I work with seniors and there is no better source of actual history than those that went through it.
One of the seniors that I got to know very well was a tiny little man named Bill. He could have passed for one one those garden gomes. He was 4'9" and if he weighed 90 pounds I would have been surprised. As I got to know him I learned that Bill was a tail gunner in WW2. He saw alot of horror but the worst for him was seeing his friends and comrades die. Bill's plane crashed on a runway on a landing attempt and he broke his back and spent the next two years in a hospital.
Now bill would sit outside all day long, he loved everything nature. In fact some days he sat so still birds would actually land on him trying to get to their feeder. I never knew anyone that had so much love for nature. I believe that he had seen so much horror that he truly could appreciate everything else, and it brought him so much joy.
Bill died last year at the age of 90, I always wondered why he did not have any family, he never talked about it, just said he did not have any. At his funeral I learned that Bill had been a one of the home childern sent to canada from an orphanage in Britian. He was sent to Quebec to work as farm slave at the age of 14.

What I found so amazing in all of this was the fact that he volunteered to go as a tail gunner for the RAF, the very country that sent him off into a labor camp. There was not a bitter bone in his body and no one would have suspected the life he had. I think you call it character, I wonder if he would have had it if not for all the adversity he overcame.
I don't mean to be long winded here, but just let me say I love this place. I have looked at different boards to join but one won me over, there seems to be alot of intelligent people hanging here.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Hey, peapod, first of all, welcome. You know, your username strikes a chord with me, I am an avid pea-in-a-pod consumer!

Your story is marvelous, you understand perfectly what I mean, the reasons why I'd like to go back to an era like that. I want to see first-hand some of that awesome courage and fortitude. Great story, Bill sounds fascinating. I admire the fact that you took the time to know that side of him. Few people seem to recognize the worth in old people.

Again, welcome!

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
I just want the chance to meet the creature that came up with PICKLED BEETS.

As you can tell, I may be a bit overtired.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
researchok said:
I just want the chance to meet the creature that came up with PICKLED BEETS.

As you can tell, I may be a bit overtired.

Bet you dream about beets. Lots and lots and lots of beets. Beet soup, beet stew, beet lasagne, beet cheesecake.

Nah, don't thank me, it was a pleasure!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
The day I chose the name peapod I had spent the entire day in my garden shelling peas!! So I had peapods on the brain. I could have used greenfingers I suppose. Only in Victoria can you harvest peas this time of year, we even have a different climate zone from the rest of the island.

I just returned from starbucks, I have a ponder that maybe someone can answer for me. The mermaid lady that they use for their logo does anyone know where and how it orginated? No one at starbucks seems to able to answer this question.

Did not the Pequod in Moby Dick have a mermaid figure craved on it's bow. There was also a member of the crew called starbuck. I wonder if the founder was a fan of moby Dick? I think I need to get a life.