Pictured: Stunning images of kingfishers in action

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Charlie Hamilton James has been obsessed with the kingfisher since he was just six.

And he has spent thousands of hours photographing the beautiful birds in their gorgeous surroundings from a hideaway in his old milworkers' cottage in Bristol.

His new book - Kingfisher: Tales From The Halcyon River - tells in words and pictures the story of a year in the life of two pairs as they court, mate, rear chicks and catch prey.

Some of these beautiful photos are shown here.

Click on each photo to make it bigger.

[SIZE=+0]Pictured: Stunning images of kingfishers in action[/SIZE]

In his enchanting new book, Kingfisher: Tales From The Halcyon River, photographer Charlie Hamilton James tells in words and amazing pictures the story of a year in the life of two pairs as they court, mate, rear chicks and catch prey.

By Mail On Sunday Reporter
23rd May 2009
Daily Mail

Photographer Charlie Hamilton James has been obsessed with the kingfisher since the age of six.

From a hide attached to the old millworker's cottage near Bristol where he lives with his wife, TV host Philippa Forrester, he has spent thousands of hours photographing the elusive bird.

JANUARY 9: I saw the female shine like a blue jewel against the murk

FEBRUARY 29: Today the female whistles as the male catches a fish. He leans into her, offering it. She grabs it, and after a tussle the birds break free

MARCH 23: Over a few hours, I witness three matings. The male steadies himself by grabbing the female by her head feathers. The act can last a minute

APRIL 4: For almost two hours, males from two territories chase each other up and down the river, sometimes settling on a perch where they lock in strange poses, seemingly in a trance

APRIL 15: When it dives, the kingfisher flaps its wings a couple of times to gather speed. Just before entering the water, it tucks in its wings and hits the surface like a dart. I had to be quick with my trigger finger to catch it on camera. Air clings to the kingfisher underwater, helping to keep it dry and aiding buoyancy

APRIL 15: Success! The male emerges from the water with a fish. He kills it by bashing it on a branch, swallows it, shakes himself and then turns to hunt again

JULY 19: The chicks must be growing well - both male and female have been busy flying to and from the nest since first light. My set-up is fairly elaborate but the kingfishers are being very co-operative, completely ignoring all the kit and flashes

JULY 30: Kingfisher chicks leave the nest at three weeks. Here, two pester mum for food but she is good at remembering who's been fed and who hasn't JULY 19: The male lands at the base of the ash tree, whistles, then flies into the nest. He comes out, washes and preens for three minutes before flying off

FAREWELL: I'll never get bored with kingfishers. I keep saying I've done them, but I know that come spring I'll hear whistling and won't be able to help myself

• Published by Evans Mitchell at £25. To order a copy for £22.50 including p&p call The Mail on Sunday's Review Bookstore on 0845 155 0713.
dailymail.co.uk

Last edited: