Peak oil news update

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Excellent article about peak oil below. Not only have big oil companies not built any new refineries in the past few decades, they have also not built any new big oil tankers. This is because they know the amount of oil out there is at a peak. Oil companies hate discussion of peak oil because they want to buy oil assets cheap now, while we waste our time and do not develop alternate sources of energy as this crisis gets closer by the day.

http://peacejournalism.com/ReadArticle.asp?ArticleID=6867

Peak Oil, Energy Futures and Violent Conflict
Jack Santa Barbara, Ph.D. is with the Sustainable Scale Project and the Centre for Peace Studies, McMaster University.

What is Peak Oil?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
dumpthemonarchy said:
Excellent article about peak oil below. Not only have big oil companies not built any new refineries in the past few decades, they have also not built any new big oil tankers. This is because they know the amount of oil out there is at a peak. Oil companies hate discussion of peak oil because they want to buy oil assets cheap now, while we waste our time and do not develop alternate sources of energy as this crisis gets closer by the day.

http://peacejournalism.com/ReadArticle.asp?ArticleID=6867

Peak Oil, Energy Futures and Violent Conflict
Jack Santa Barbara, Ph.D. is with the Sustainable Scale Project and the Centre for Peace Studies, McMaster University.

What is Peak Oil?

Lovely, except completely untrue.

Irving Oil just completed an expansion to their refinery here in Saint John, NB that cost over 1 BILLION dollars.

There is a huge refinery about to be built in Alberta.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Oil refinery expansion occurs, but not a new one from scratch. I read about a new refinery being built in Alberta, but I don't think it has been started. The huge expansion of the oil sands will justify it. This is unconventional crude oil, not conventional crude oil. Dirtier and expensive, but it still makes gas and heats our butts. I'm not against oil refineries or new supertankers for oil, the evidence says they are not being built anew these days.

Keep in mind that in the Vancouver Sun newspaper on Sept 10, 2005, Barbara Yaffe wrote,

"it has long been known world oil supplies are expected to peak
between 2006 and 2011, then start declining."

You know, 2006 is next year, less than six weeks away. Were this to occur, it could mean the price of oil in less that two years could be $100-$200 per barrel. Yet does the print media have daily "Energy Pages", no, we get Olympic Pages instead. There's lots of oil, it just might get very pricey sooner than we think. We could need more information on the subject on a regular basis.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Oil refinery expansion occurs, but not a new one from scratch. I read about a new refinery being built in Alberta, but I don't think it has been started. The huge expansion of the oil sands will justify it. This is unconventional crude oil, not conventional crude oil. Dirtier and expensive, but it still makes gas and heats our butts. I'm not against oil refineries or new supertankers for oil, the evidence says they are not being built anew these days.

Keep in mind that in the Vancouver Sun newspaper on Sept 10, 2005, Barbara Yaffe wrote,

You know, 2006 is next year, less than six weeks away. Were this to occur, it could mean the price of oil in less that two years could be $100-$200 per barrel. Yet does the print media have daily "Energy Pages", no, we get Olympic Pages instead. There's lots of oil, it just might get very pricey sooner than we think. We could need more information on the subject on a regular basis.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Yet does the print media have daily "Energy Pages", no, we get Olympic Pages instead.

Because most of print media is right wing. Almost all of it here in Vancouver is including the two largest dailies and National Post is right wing. Pro business, anti environment and anti worker. It is sickening.

The Vancouver Sun and Vancouver Province are just the neocon Fraser Institute mouth pieces.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I've heard they don't make new refineries because of restrictive environmental laws.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Could be. But I think they do not want to spend the money to bring standards up to snuff. They are stuck in the mindset of doing things the way they were done in the old days, with little or no regulations.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I have read in the business press, the Report on Business in The Globe and Mail obliquely refer to peak oil by saying "the era of cheap oil may be over."

During Katrina in Louisiana they mentioned a new refinery had not been built for 25 years because it was not profitable to do so. Having them concentrated in the southwest US was obviously most economic, but vulnerable in only one region.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
"The Vancouver Sun and Vancouver Province are just the neocon Fraser Institute mouth pieces."

I won't even call those Asper Propagana Sheets newspapers.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
If too many petro dollars are dumped in favor of petro
euros, it will cause a decline in the dollar and that
country will lose on the exchange and will get fewer
petro euros.

Even American haters won't like the loss in that
exchange rate.

If change is to occur where it benefits that nation it
will do so gradually.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
We live in a world of stuff, so the 2003 invasion of Iraq was about the crude, dudes and dudettes. Peak oil was not the only factor of course, but it is right up there.

Gee, is it really worth it for the US to invade another country, like say, Iran, for using Euros instead of dollars in selling its oil? That would really be senseless and absurd. The waste of money and lives for what? Policy operators pitch economic wars, so that others, like younger people, can fight so we can blissfully continue to live in our sea of cheap oil. This seems immoral to me.

In the US, there seems to be more political capital to be gained fostering hostility against foreigners than adjusting to a changing world.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Well, no bias has properly explained that the use
of the Euro was a primary or even tertiary reason
for going to war.

No one has been able to explain or justify this theory
in their own words, choosing instead just to post
a link to an article that believes this theory.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I was never a big believer in the dollar-to-Euro for oil story. In a few years the Chinese currency will be very strong, then the world could have three major currencies. And there is also the Japanese yen.

We have problems in the world because Bush like Gore had no agenda going into office, so someone else gave him one in security and he reacts as best he can, which is not very well. Anyone who doesn't read a newspaper deserves all he gets.

People itch for war like the Pentagon so they test new weapons for example.

Today, peace is more profitable than war, security is now a huge business. If only wind and solar power were as big.

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
No new refineries? there's new refineries being built all over the world. Alberta companies and technologies heavily involved. Megaprojects in Kuwait, china, India, Uzbekistan..

a note : the USA is NOT the world.

Many forget that there is an increase in the importation of non-producing countries of refine dproduct. The numbers of refineries in the USA or western countries says nothing about the availability or not of crude supplies.

Just a note: there used to be more farmers in the the USA 50 years ago than today. Is there less food grown?

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
dumpthemonarchy said:

You know, 2006 is next year, less than six weeks away. Were this to occur, it could mean the price of oil in less that two years could be $100-$200 per barrel .

Then you're a fool if you don't liquidate every cent you have, sell your house, etc. and buy energy stocks.

'long been known'...gee, i must have missed that day in geology class 26 years ago. 'The Secret Book of Fossil Fuel Reserves'.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Barbara Yaffe wrote on the Op-ed page of the Vancouver Sun newspaper on Sept 10/05 that

"It has long been known world oil supplies are expected to peak between 2006 and 2011, then start declining."

This is just about next week. But go to the library and do some research. I have a copy of the column in front of me. These days there is no need to make things up, just read the newspaper.
World population, industrialization and consumption is increasing but resources are not. Do the math. The future is uncertain, not necessarily catastrophic. We can always mine the moon or asteroids out in space, but not in the next five years.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Peak oil is a reality. Those who deny that it will happen are ignoring history. Peak oil in the US was predicted. It happened just in time for the energy crisis of the 1970's.

The same will happen when world-wide peak oil is reached. We've been whining about rising energy costs, but wait'll you have to sit in line for hours to fill up your gas tank.

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
There is intelligent discussion about energy reserves (which includes a peak oil element) and then there is a Peak Oil cult. Like all cults it tends to attract those who are easily influenced by hyperbolae. It's not a surprise that those NDP cultists are also these most likely to be Peak Oil cultists.

Here's a spot for Peak Oil cultists to keep eachother occupied so they can't be out breeding and damaging to the gene pool.

http://www.peakoil.com/gate.html?name=Forums&file=search&search_id=newposts

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
There is a cult of those who deny reality and sell out ecology for greed. The are called conservatives. Sometimes they're called greens. No matter what you call them, they are bad fo the planet and slightly lower on the evolutionary scale than slugs. I suggest they be stepped on at every opportunity.