Over 40 looking for work in Alberta.

Cruze

Feb 2, 2006
Hi.

Can't find work in Ottawa because I'm not bilingual and only decent paying jobs are with the fed,which require you speak both English and French to qualify.

I have two children and my wife who will being staying in Ottawa while I look for work in Alberta.

Any suggestions on where I can find quick employment with a decent salary would be appreciated.

I have only a grade twelve education but have worked retail a few years,spent 15 years managing a small computer company and have done several basic jobs on the side to earn extra income.

How acceptable are employers to workers in there mid 40s ?

Can you earn a decent salary with no skills in certain areas but are willing to train ?

Are most communities in Alberta made up of younger workers like it was in the 70s ?

I guess what I'm saying is it worth it for someone in my situation to go to Alberta for the money or will the cost of living expenses make it worth it.

Anyone else here in the same situation,like to here your comments and successes.

animator

Dec 27, 2005
Cruze said:
Hi.

Any suggestions on where I can find quick employment with a decent salary would be appreciated.

I have only a grade twelve education but have worked retail a few years,spent 15 years managing a small computer company and have done several basic jobs on the side to earn extra income.

Can you earn a decent salary with no skills in certain areas but are willing to train ?

Are most communities in Alberta made up of younger workers like it was in the 70s ?

I guess what I'm saying is it worth it for someone in my situation to go to Alberta for the money or will the cost of living expenses make it worth it.

Anyone else here in the same situation,like to here your comments and successes.

I would suggest you check here: http://working.canada.com/calgary/index.html for housing cost and employment. There are two guys from Ontario who landed on my brother's doorstep last week (connections through Church) that have not quite finished high school. I don't think their parents thought they'd make it but they did. They found work in sheet metal in 2 days but only $10 per hour to start. The construction industry in Alberta is booming and people are being hired with no skills because there are not enough trades people to fill the demand. I don't know about retail, but I always see hiring signs everywhere. I suppose it depends on the shop as to whether they would use age as a mitigating factor in hiring ... as a consumer I prefer someone with a bit more maturity/experience than a 20 year old and industry may know this about consumers.

I don't think that younger workers are preferred except in areas where health, strength and stamina are important - like construction.

I don't think the cost of living is a big factor in Alberta. You can find a reasonable apt. for a reasonable price, depending on how close to the city core you want to be. Other than housing, the price of everything is comparable to anywhere else - I think.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Over 40 looking for w

Any trades job is available. Hell, working in the trades is a licence to print money these days out in E-town.

magpie

Mar 8, 2006
Cruze said:
Hi.

Can't find work in Ottawa because I'm not bilingual and only decent paying jobs are with the fed,which require you speak both English and French to qualify.

I have two children and my wife who will being staying in Ottawa while I look for work in Alberta.

Wondering if you had any luck? Trades are screaming for workers if you can swing a hammer you can get on with almost any construction company, as well a decent job out there right now here in Calgary is a driver for courier companies. Age is a non issue if you are looking for a driver job.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Welders will have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS in finding work....and it dosent have to be up in the wastelands of Northern Alberta.....go to to Edmonton, the shortages and your pay are all going up.

Cruze

Feb 2, 2006
Not yet gone to Edmonton,need to save money to go out there.
The problem is getting enough money to fly out there,find a place to stay for reasonable cost, and then find a job.

Still researching and your replies are appreciated.

Any idea's on cheap accomedations while looking for work ?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
If you have a Vehicle, I would suggest somewhere between Ft Mcmurray and Edmonton.

Boyle, Colinton, Athabasca, all have cheap housing and there is Al-Pac, the pulp mill in that region. If you score a camp job in Ft M, its only a couple of hours away, or Edmonton an hour and a half to the south if you get anything there.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Over 40 looking for work in Alberta.

Cruze said:
Not yet gone to Edmonton,need to save money to go out there.
The problem is getting enough money to fly out there,find a place to stay for reasonable cost, and then find a job.

Still researching and your replies are appreciated.

Any idea's on cheap accomedations while looking for work ?

well if its just you moving here to start out you can find a decent 1 bedroom apartment for around 600 (wont seem like a lot once you make the $)...I know here in Calgary my son had a nice bedroom with a balcony, close to downtown and was only 620 I believe.....