Our Lives and Our Environment

CamTheCat

Oct 5, 2005
Alberta
jazzauthority.blogspot.com
Our Lives and Our Environment (from a political perspective)

To live green or not to live green.

Deaths due to natural disasters (from the International Red Cross website)
1985-1994 – just over 600,000 total worldwide
1995-2004 – just over 900,000 total worldwide
Now this year I added up the statistics from all the disasters worldwide that I could find, and it added up to more than 300,000 to date.

These numbers take into account the increase in the world population, and it's easy to see that deaths due to natural disasters are increasing rapidly.

While there is some question of just how much human activity has affected the global weather patterns, it is a fact that we have affected the patterns to some degree.

Most of us vote on the basis of how we think our lives will be affected. The parties we choose best reflect our priorities. Many of us have not seen a direct connection with damaging our earth and our own lives. In the last couple of years, we've been witness to many people dying as a direct result of prolific natural disasters. How can any of us continue to question our role in the changing of weather patterns, while the effects are all around us?

How long should we wait before we tell the government that we are concerned for the lives of ourselves and our loved ones? How long should we wait before we decide to reduce the size of our ecological footprint? I've decided to avoid voting for the 'Greys' (all the other parties) and have commited myself to voting Green.

The Green Party values include ecological wisdom, and below is their satement...
Ecological Wisdom
We acknowledge that human beings are part of the natural world and we respect the specific values of all forms of life, including non-human species.

We acknowledge the wisdom of the indigenous peoples of the world, as custodians of the land and its resources.

We acknowledge that human society depends on the ecological resources of the planet, and must ensure the integrity of ecosystems and preserve biodiversity and the resilience of life supporting systems.

This requires
that we learn to live within the ecological and resource limits of the planet
that we protect animal and plant life, and life itself that is sustained by the natural elements: earth, water, air and sun
where knowledge is limited, that we take the path of caution, in order to secure the continued abundance of the resources of the planet for present and future generations.

It makes sense to me. What does everybody here think?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Our Lives and Our Env

What's your position on envirnmental refugees, Cam? Should we accept them under the same or looser criteria than other refugees?

William Ashley

Nov 2, 2005
Waterloo
here.no-ip.info
"1985-1994 – just over 600,000 total worldwide
1995-2004 – just over 900,000 total worldwide
Now this year I added up the statistics from all the disasters worldwide that I could find, and it added up to more than 300,000 to date. "
It is a telling tale however there are allot of factors to take into account, and 20 years is a relatively short period of time. It will beinteresting but not lovely to find out if well break the 1 million mark! Comeone with hard work and dedication we too can increase our quota for mother nature. (baaahd joke)

I've decided to avoid voting for the 'Greys' (all the other parties) and have commited myself to voting Green.

I'm a 'grey' with environmental conscience but not a 'real party' http://www.angelfire.com/retro2/w_ashley/ASP/ASP.htm
-----

" What does everybody here think?"

The earthwindwatersun part scared the bejesus out of my scientoglist aspect. My pagan self rejoices and said ?green party is uhm wiccan?

It seems sorta mystic I did this edited version

"We as the natural world respecting species life are the custodians of the earth; as such, we are responsible for the integrity and preservation of ecosystems, their biodiversity and life supporting systems.

We must learn to intigrate our lives with ecologies and heed resource limits mediating species life subsitancy. We must secure our resources, indefinately."

"What's your position on envirnmental refugees, Cam? " I'm not cam but
Quick Hide the Squirel! Joke.

I personally think the environmental aspect of the refugee question says, where do they do less damage?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I personally think the environmental aspect of the refugee question says, where do they do less damage?

It isn't generally the refugees that are doing the damage, William. They are from places where damage from the activities of the first world are driving them out of their homes.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: Our Greens and Our Environment

Cam, I have been shouting about the NDP being Canada's best choice now, as Libs and CPC are off the scale in offending our sensibilities.

The GREENS, however, are the more aggressive environmentalists, and have less ties to business than the NDP and their union associations.
Greens have come right out and stated a significant departure from the corporate culture.

I like it.
Some Greens, or a majority of Greens in Canada's Parliament, would be an improvement. We have a few in BC 's leg. now.... and they DO put forward a platform of consciousness I relate to.

------

Angelfire:
WHAT /WHO are they? I read the link, they don't have a thing to say of material benefit to the political problems today.

Here is their foreign policy , Quoted:
"Interventionist foreign policy creates enemies."

Ya ya, but what to do when another nation is invading a soveriegn weaker nation? Does Canada stand back and say Interventionist foreign policy creates enemies?
Its like they have never been involved in politics. Probably true, as Canadians keep voting for one of TWO parties.

Here are two more policy statements of Angelfire:
Diplomacy - "help how we can".
International Law - "neutrality. International law must be in domestic law no international law can be passed which is not already domestic law."

But maybe I have not given them a chance. First, I need to know - are they GREENs, or who? \

thanks Wililam, I hope I have not been too harsh about Angelfire...