Ottawa to give police more power to snoop

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Ottawa — The federal government will introduce legislation this fall that would give police and national security agencies new powers to eavesdrop on cellphone calls and monitor the Internet activities of Canadians, Justice Minister Irwin Cotler said yesterday.

The bill would allow police to demand that Internet service providers hand over a wide range of information on the surfing habits of individuals, including on-line pseudonyms and whether someone possesses a mischief-making computer virus, according to a draft outline of the bill provided to the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.

Read the rest here

Sounds like Big Brother (or a police state as mrmom would say) is going to watch and listen if they have not been already. I personally find this an invasion of privacy.

NickFun

Electoral Member
RE: Ottawa to give police

I was once investigated by the FBI (aka Homeland Security) for an article I wrote for a newspaper. They confiscated my computer and may of my oersonal papers. Then they had the nerve to call me and ask me for the password to my private diary! Of course, the password popped out of my head at that moment. In the US at least we no longer have a free society.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Ottawa to give police

Unlike the good old days where everything had to be on paper and typewritten the one draw back with this electronic age makes it so easy to keep track of people, "they" can find out your credit report to what prescriptions you take in seconds it seems.

As good as the electronic age is, there really is no more privacy.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: Ottawa to give police

NickFun said:
I was once investigated by the FBI (aka Homeland Security) for an article I wrote for a newspaper. They confiscated my computer and may of my oersonal papers. Then they had the nerve to call me and ask me for the password to my private diary! Of course, the password popped out of my head at that moment. In the US at least we no longer have a free society.

...and now you're on a Canadian web forum spreading your anti-democratic, freedom hating message...shame on you... :twisted: