On the prowl for some summer reading....

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Three great recent reads, all very different, all good:

Margaret Atwood's 'Oryx and Crake'

'How to be Good' by Nick Hornby

'The Heart is a Lonely Hunter' by Carson McCullers

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
Some of most recent books I read:

"Life of Pi" - Yann Martel (loved it!!!)

"Birth of Venus" - Sarah Dunant (pretty good: Firenze, renaissance, art, Savonarola, all through a story of a young woman)

"The Alchemist" - Paulo Coelho (good; having heard so much about I did expect more)

"Paula" and "Daughter of Fortune" - Isabel Allende (interesting and rather easy read, I really liked both)

Lisa

Electoral Member
May 22, 2004
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- The Secret History by Donna Tart

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of spare time to read, as i have to read novels and poems for my literature classes. There are some worth reading though - Wuthering Heights by Bronte, I love Jane Austen and Kate Chopin. I don't have time for those new novels, which is quite a pity.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Caroline Alexander is a mesmerizing story teller. Take a look at "The Endurance," which includes many of the expedition photographs taken by Frank Hurley. Her more recent book is "The Bounty." I'd read anything of hers, her style is very good.

Dingbat

May 24, 2004
Well if you are into those big philosophical reads, I suggest Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It may be a bit tedious though to the average reader but it's enlightening nevertheless.