Omnibus Russia Ukraine crisis

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So Fagner PMS is claiming they have finally taken Bakhmut. Since the veracity of the claim is yet to be verified, let's assume they did.

I'd like to take this moment to congratulate Fagner PMS. After almost one year of fighting, costing them an estimated 20,000 casualties and the loss of hundreds of pieces of vital military equipment, they managed to take an almost entirely destroyed city that had absolutely zero strategic value and questionable tactical value in the first place. Surely this will go down in Russian history as the single greatest victory since Stalingrad.
Perhaps the whole point was to bleed Wagner. Caesars were known to do the same to overly-successful generals.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There is a rebel uprising in Russia near Belgorad and the border with Ukraine. They got their mitts on heavy equipment and have taken 3 villages and have shot down Ruskie aircraft.

Get a bag of sunflower seeds and watch the show.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
IMG_20230522_085406_699.jpg
The Ruzzian military nuclear facility is not very far away from the expected place of assault. Will the “Russian Freedom legion” get some nukes ? 🤭

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Saboteurs seized a police station in Grayvoron and in the uniform of the Russian police officers in police cars are moving to Belgorod - Russian media

👮‍♂️👮‍♂️👮‍♂️👮‍♂️👮‍♂️

• Wow

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Is it the Beginning of the Russian Civil War?

As to Belarus things are happening there too-a bit more peaceful for the moment but that won't last we all know that.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ukrainian nuclear plant briefly loses power supply again, is 'extremely vulnerable'
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Susie Blann
Published May 22, 2023 • 2 minute read

KYIV, Ukraine — Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, Europe’s largest atomic power station, spent hours operating on emergency diesel generators Monday after losing its external power supply for the seventh time since Russia’s full-scale invasion of its neighbor, the head of the U.N. nuclear watchdog said.

“The nuclear safety situation at the plant (is) extremely vulnerable,” Rafael Grossi, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, said in a tweet.

Hours later, national energy company Ukrenergo said on Telegram that it had restored the power line that feeds the plant.

But for Grossi, it was another reminder of what’s at stake at the Russian-occupied plant which has seen shelling close by.

“We must agree to protect (the) plant now; this situation cannot continue,” Grossi said, in his latest appeal for the area to be spared from the fighting between Ukrainian and Russian forces. IAEA staff are deployed at the plant, which is occupied by Russian troops.

The plant’s six nuclear reactors, which are protected by a reinforced shelter able to withstand an errant shell or rocket, have been shut down. But a disruption in the electrical supply could disable cooling systems that are essential for the reactors’ safety even when they are shut down. Emergency diesel generators, which officials say can keep the plant operational for 10 days, can be unreliable.

Fighting, especially artillery fire, around the plant has fueled fears of a disaster like the one at Chernobyl in 1986. Then, a reactor exploded and spewed deadly radiation, contaminating a vast area in the world’s worst nuclear catastrophe.

Energoatom, Ukraine’s state nuclear company, blamed Russian shelling for the loss of the last high-voltage transmission line to the plant in Russian-occupied southern Ukraine, about 500 kilometers (300 miles) from Kyiv. It was not possible to independently verify that claim.

The facility is “on the verge of a nuclear and radiation accident,” Energoatom warned.

Grossi said it was the seventh time the plant had lost its outside power supply since Russia’s full-scale invasion in February 2022.

The Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant is one of the 10 biggest atomic power stations in the world.

Russian officials have begun training for a planned evacuation from the plant of 3,100 staff and their families, a representative of Energoatom said last week. The plant employed around 11,000 staff before the war, some 6,000 of whom remain at the site and in the surrounding town of Enerhodar.

More Russian military units have been arriving at the site and are mining it, the representative told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity due to security concerns.

Ukraine’s presidential office said Monday morning that at least three Ukrainian civilians were killed and 16 others were injured over the previous 24 hours.

The Ukrainian Air Force reported that four out of 16 Russian missiles and all 20 drones launched against Ukrainian targets were shot down.

Military targets and public infrastructure in Dnipro, Ukraine’s fourth-largest city in the centre of the country, were singled out for Russian attacks, which injured eight people, officials said. The Dnipro fire department was affected, and 12 houses, shops, and a kindergarten were damaged, according to Governor Serhii Lysak.

Reactions: petros

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
You're more likely to be Roma or maybe even Rusyn like me.
I have been known to Rome around in a fog , on occasion . Does that make me Roman or Romanian ? To many questions not enough answers .

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Dwarf posed as child, 'tried to poison and kill' adoptive mom: Documentary

Author of the article:Brad Hunter
Published May 14, 2023 • Last updated May 14, 2023 • 2 minute read

The bizarre tale of a dwarf masquerading as a child was a tabloid natural.

But for one adoptive family, it was a horror movie worthy of a Hollywood screenplay. A yarn that would likely be deemed too unbelievable to produce.

Now, the Barnett family has finally broken their silence in a new upcoming documentary, The Curious Case Of Natalia Grace, on Investigation Discovery.

“We were all abused,” family patriarch Michael Barnett said in the trailer. “I hate this.”

In 2010, the Barnett family of Indiana adopted a young girl from Ukraine. The family believed the girl — named Natalia — was six years old.

They soon changed their mind and accused Natalia of being an “adult masquerading as a child with intent to harm their family.”

Natalia suffers from a rare form of dwarfism called spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia congenita. But the child was violent and manipulative. Something wasn’t quite right.

“She tried to poison and kill my wife,” Michael Barnett said. “One night, I opened my eyes and Natalia is standing at the foot of the bed with a knife in her hand.”

In 2012, the Barnetts made headlines when they petitioned an Indiana court to change girl’s birth year from 2003 to 1989 — a jump from eight-years-old to 22. In the wake of the brouhaha, the family moved to Canada with their biological children.

A year later, it was discovered that Natalia was living alone in an apartment. Her adoptive parents were investigated and arrested and, in 2019, charged with neglect of a dependent.

“The media is painting me to be a child abuser, but there is no child here,” Kristine Barnett told the Daily Mail in 2019. “Natalia was a woman. She had periods. She had adult teeth.”

Kristine added: “She never grew a single inch, which would happen even with a child with dwarfism. The doctors all confirmed she was suffering a severe psychological illness only diagnosed in adults.”

But the truth finally emerged and in 2022, Michael was found not guilty, and his now ex-wife had all of her charges dismissed this past March.

In an interview with Good Morning America, Michael Barnett recalled that a psychologist said of Natalia: “This person is a sociopath. This person is a con artist. You are all in danger.”

In 2019, Natalia appeared on the Dr. Phil gabfest and denied everything.

“It’s not true. It’s not true at all. I just want people to hear my side,” she told the TV shrink, adding that things went down hill after the Barnetts claimed bone scans proved she was born in 1989.

“Everything started happening after that one moment,” Natalia said. “I actually thought I had found the right family after bouncing around from a lot of families. I thought I had found the right family for me.”

The three-part docu-series kicks off May 29 on Investigation Discovery which promos promise will feature “bombshell interviews with members of Natalia’s adoptive family” along with legal experts, friends and neighbours.

bhunter@postmedia.com

@HunterTOSun

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Dwarf posed as child, 'tried to poison and kill' adoptive mom: Documentary

Author of the article:Brad Hunter
Published May 14, 2023 • Last updated May 14, 2023 • 2 minute read

The bizarre tale of a dwarf masquerading as a child was a tabloid natural.

But for one adoptive family, it was a horror movie worthy of a Hollywood screenplay. A yarn that would likely be deemed too unbelievable to produce.

Now, the Barnett family has finally broken their silence in a new upcoming documentary, The Curious Case Of Natalia Grace, on Investigation Discovery.

“We were all abused,” family patriarch Michael Barnett said in the trailer. “I hate this.”

In 2010, the Barnett family of Indiana adopted a young girl from Ukraine. The family believed the girl — named Natalia — was six years old.

They soon changed their mind and accused Natalia of being an “adult masquerading as a child with intent to harm their family.”

Natalia suffers from a rare form of dwarfism called spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia congenita. But the child was violent and manipulative. Something wasn’t quite right.

“She tried to poison and kill my wife,” Michael Barnett said. “One night, I opened my eyes and Natalia is standing at the foot of the bed with a knife in her hand.”

In 2012, the Barnetts made headlines when they petitioned an Indiana court to change girl’s birth year from 2003 to 1989 — a jump from eight-years-old to 22. In the wake of the brouhaha, the family moved to Canada with their biological children.

A year later, it was discovered that Natalia was living alone in an apartment. Her adoptive parents were investigated and arrested and, in 2019, charged with neglect of a dependent.

“The media is painting me to be a child abuser, but there is no child here,” Kristine Barnett told the Daily Mail in 2019. “Natalia was a woman. She had periods. She had adult teeth.”

Kristine added: “She never grew a single inch, which would happen even with a child with dwarfism. The doctors all confirmed she was suffering a severe psychological illness only diagnosed in adults.”

But the truth finally emerged and in 2022, Michael was found not guilty, and his now ex-wife had all of her charges dismissed this past March.

In an interview with Good Morning America, Michael Barnett recalled that a psychologist said of Natalia: “This person is a sociopath. This person is a con artist. You are all in danger.”

In 2019, Natalia appeared on the Dr. Phil gabfest and denied everything.

“It’s not true. It’s not true at all. I just want people to hear my side,” she told the TV shrink, adding that things went down hill after the Barnetts claimed bone scans proved she was born in 1989.

“Everything started happening after that one moment,” Natalia said. “I actually thought I had found the right family after bouncing around from a lot of families. I thought I had found the right family for me.”

The three-part docu-series kicks off May 29 on Investigation Discovery which promos promise will feature “bombshell interviews with members of Natalia’s adoptive family” along with legal experts, friends and neighbours.

bhunter@postmedia.com

@HunterTOSun