Oh! The Joy!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Did I ever score! I won a bid for a mint condition 1972 edition of Joy of Cooking. The book is flawless, it just arrived today.

Now, it is commonly accepted that the old blue-covered Joy of Cooking is far better than later editions, and I agree with this. Many of the old recipes were altered in later editions, to a disadvantage.

My original old blue edition is so ratty from years of use that it is kept together with an elastic band. Like an old Mac, I don't have the heart to throw it out. A few years back, I bought the new white-covered edition of what should be the same book. Not only have the recipes been changed, but it turns out that the quality of the book itself changed. It has fallen apart in just five years or so.

So, I checked around with second-hand book stores, and apparently the old blue edition is a rare find, much sought after. No one had a copy. BUT NOW I DO!

:lol: So eat your hearts out! :D :D

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
:read2:

So what are you going to cook for all of us? :)

thulin

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Haggis McBagpipe

Do you actually need a cookbook to make some haggis?! :wink:

That ain´t his first alright...

Just kidding, congratulations! I bought two books last year (I bought tons of old books, somewhat a weakness :roll:)that gave me about the same feeling you seem to have now, those were lyrics and notes of the famous swedish troubadour Evert Taube (leather folded, mint condition, from 1960:s).

Evert Taube, my idol - RIP

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Yeah, there's something about scoring an old book that isn't easy to find, isn't there.

And Jay, nope. No Joy for you. I like having the book for those rare occasions when I get around to cooking, but those occasions are definitely few and far between.

I thought about having haggis just one time. One look at it changed my mind, and in self-defense I became vegetarian (one who considers seafood a vegetable, though).

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sounds like our old Pillsbury Family Cookbook. We got it as a wedding present almost forty years ago. It's now held together by elastic bands and reputation. There are so many food stains in it and on it, that you could probably make pretty good soup by just boiling the book. It's been a pretty good book in that if a neighbor brings you a mess of Chilean spotted squid, there is probably a recipe for it. I have done most of the cooking in our house for a number of years and don't use many set recipes anymore. I tend to improvise with what is in the fridge. Still, every once in a while, something different comes up and the old book can be handy.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Good find, Haggis!! These days all recipes are low fat, low sugar, low flavour. I like cream, butter and sugar in my food. Whipping cream is one of the four basic food groups around here. ;)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
#juan said:
There are so many food stains in it and on it, that you could probably make pretty good soup by just boiling the book.

:lol: It does sound like my old Joy. It is always nice to have that one all-purpose book kicking around, isn't it, and I've always considered cookbook stains to be the best bookmarks of all. You can easily find the good pages, they're the ones that are extra well 'marked'.

I was looking through the old and new versions to see some of the differences, and the usual reason for changing them seems to be a) health, ie less eggs, etc., and b) convenience, ie the recipes are considerably easier in the later version. I love having this 'new' old version once again.

thulin

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Re: RE: Oh! The Joy!

Haggis McBagpipe said:
And Jay, nope. No Joy for you. I like having the book for those rare occasions when I get around to cooking, but those occasions are definitely few and far between.
And your wife is happy with that? 8O My fiancé and I cook every other week and clean the place the opposite one...

Today I made:

With carrot and mushroom...

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

thulin said:
And your wife is happy with that? 8O My fiancé and I cook every other week and clean the place the opposite one...

Today I made:

With carrot and mushroom...

Yum, that looks really good, thulin.

My husband :D is happy with our arrangement, in fact it is his idea. He hates sharing the kitchen, and I gave up fighting him for it.

I like your arrangement, it sounds like a very fine way to keep the peace and enjoy the variety.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

Cosmo said:
Good find, Haggis!! These days all recipes are low fat, low sugar, low flavour. I like cream, butter and sugar in my food. Whipping cream is one of the four basic food groups around here. ;)

!!!!! Oh my, a woman after my own heart indeed! :D

thulin

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006

Haggis McBagpipe said:
My husband :D is happy with our arrangement
:oops: :oops: :oops: Hrmpf... Sorry... It´s just that "harris" seems so... Masculine somehow... I just figured... Well, I should just stop that huh? :wink:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
My Wife :) does most of the cooking during the week and on the weekends I usually cook. I cook the more extravagant meals....well I see it that way anyway, but I also do the clean up in the kitchen (every few days...) :wink:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

thulin said:
Haggis McBagpipe said:
My husband :D is happy with our arrangement
:oops: :oops: :oops: Hrmpf... Sorry... It´s just that "harris" seems so... Masculine somehow... I just figured... Well, I should just stop that huh? :wink:

Totally understandable, believe me. I think almost everybody makes that assumption at first.

Basically, haggis is neither masculine nor feminine, it's a food, and a pretty nasty food at that, come to think of it. Truly vile, in fact. Which might say a lot about my choice of a forum handle, eh? :lol:

And Jay, those extravagant feasts are fun, I truly love making a disaster in the kitchen. Hey, maybe that's why my husband doesn't like me in there!

<edited to add a note to Jay>

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Haggis McBagpipe said:
Basically, haggis is neither masculine nor feminine, it's a food, and a pretty nasty food at that, come to think of it. Truly vile, in fact. Which might say a lot about my choice of a forum handle, eh?

I took it to be a reference to Scottish people.... 8O :lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
As far as I'm concerned, they should never shoot another Haggis. I sure as hell wouldn't miss their rotund, obese, little carcases. Let the little buggers run free, I say, where the deer and the antelope play around,...or whatever they do....

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
#juan said:
As far as I'm concerned, they should never shoot another Haggis. I sure as hell wouldn't miss their rotund, obese, little carcases. Let the little buggers run free, I say, where the deer and the antelope play around,...or whatever they do....

:lol: :lol: You are killing me here!