Newbie here from Saskatchewan

bigmomma1965

Oct 5, 2004
Saskatchewan
Hi,my name is bigmomma1965,i am a 39 yr old single mom from Sk.I thought id join as i am tired of yahoo chat and msn chatrooms.I hope to meet and make new friends here. :lol:

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
hey - it's my long lost cousin ........ howdy bigmomma! took you long enough to sign up here. god, it gets lonely being the only mamma in the house. especially when you try to walk softly in the gumboots. :twisted: welcome, and i hope you share with us your stories of saskatchewan. like, where the hell did saskatchewan get that name????

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
"If I ever get back to Houston alive,
I won't drive a truck anymore...."
--Steve Earle

hey rev - you a big steve earle fan? we saw him this summer at an outdoor concert in victoria. it sucked. big time bad. too bad, i love his stuff, i think i will stick to his cd's.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
hey rev - you a big steve earle fan? we saw him this summer at an outdoor concert in victoria. it sucked. big time bad. too bad, i love his stuff, i think i will stick to his cd's.

Yeah, I've been a big fan for a long time. What didn;t you like about his concert? I know a lot of people get turned off by the political banter between songs, but I like that part. I couldn't go the last time he was here, but I heard it was excellent.

Or could it be like the first time I saw Bob Dylan...he just didn't want to be here...actually thought he was in Saskatoon. It was near the end of the tour and it sucked bad, so I never went the next time. Of course the next time was excellent, so I missed a good show.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Well Steve Earle was a disappointment because he was kinda outta tune, and it took about 3/4 of the show before he was really warmed up. Yeah, he was into the political stuff when we saw him, but then a lot of entertainers have made it their mission to slag Bush. It was acoustical and his guitar string broke - I think - so he did 'Copperhead Road' on the mandoline (i think!). Why would you do something like that to begin with? Anyways, it was bloody awful.

BUT.....before he came out they had Harry Manx - who plays lap slide guitar, mohan veena, banjo, tamboura, etc. His music is definetly worth a listen. Try to see if you can't snag a copy of 'West eats Meet'. Good stuff, and his vocalist that night was Emily Braden who was awesome. Everyone around us wished we had a couple of hours of Harry and then just called it a day!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Hey I'm not stalking her, I just want her to get nekkid. Or at least tell me what she is wearing. The stalking comes later, once I find out her home address and telephone number.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Newbie here from Saskatchewan

Diamond Sun said:
Yes, well, same difference really. You are going to scare away our new blood. It's really unacceptable. Try to control yourself!

Hang on... okay, I've installed an anti-stalker device onto my brain hard drive. We're okay now. I. Am. Controlled. 8-|

Rats.

System failure.

:cool:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Well Steve Earle was a disappointment because he was kinda outta tune, and it took about 3/4 of the show before he was really warmed up. Yeah, he was into the political stuff when we saw him, but then a lot of entertainers have made it their mission to slag Bush. It was acoustical and his guitar string broke - I think - so he did 'Copperhead Road' on the mandoline (i think!). Why would you do something like that to begin with? Anyways, it was bloody awful.

Earle has been into the political stuff since the beginning, he's a folk singer, his first big break was at Farm Aid. That's one of things I like about him. He's been playing 'Copperhead Road' on the mandoline since about a year after the album first came out. It's kind of a rebellion against that being his biggest song and being expected to play it no matter what the venue.

As for the tuning thing...well I wasn't there, so I can't say, but he does tend towards the Keith Richards' tuning method...kind of theoretical. Maybe it was just a little more theoretical that night than usual. :wink:

If you want to hear him live at his best, try the documentary DVD/CD. Oh, and buy his latest CD 'The Revolution Starts Now'...it has a love song to Condoleeza Rice on it. :lol:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
The reason it was not good rev, was because of where it was held. The ascoustics are terrible there, always have been, no matter who plays there. That is why Idid not go with galaniomama and her spouse like unit to see the Earle when he was here. I would not even go see rusty if he played there. Don't worry tho rev, galaniomama's husband is just about as crazy about steve earle as yourself...we always know what to buy him for christmas. :lol: