New immigrant from USA...Engineering Jobs....

There is a good scope for Industrial Engineering jobs in Alberta.

• Yes, there is plenty of jobs available, just come here.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO, go somewhere else

• I dont know as I dont have knowledge

• i will email you on kale7334@gmail.com , lets talk as i know my company is hiring

• Total voters

kale7334

Apr 17, 2006
Hello all, First and foremost, Am I so happy to get the PR card that you wont believe ( or you may). It is nice to have it in your pocket and use whenever u want ..well..I am an Industrial Engineer, Master's degree from University of Oklahoma USA, and a Certified Math teacher in USA. I moved to canada in search of new hope and new life. I have heard that there is a boom in Calgary and people are hiring outsiders and flying them there to work on the oil riggs. So, do i shand any chance in real? I do not have many years of experience in engineering, but i graduated in 2003 and have a year of experience. I would really appreciate if you have any suggestions or ideas as you might have gone through the same situation sometime in your life. Any suggestions are welcome and and advice is absolutely important for me.

Also, how immigrant friendly is Alberta ? how are the downtowns? what are the living costs and stuff...i would love to know before jumping in !
Thanks in advance for discussing this..
---
Go Sooners !

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Kale, Newfoundland is on a hiring blitz for Engineers. Newfoundland has several Oil Rigs and more are expected in the future. Google Globe and Mail, most of the help want ads are from all across Canada. Or go to Mobile and Exons web site.

I no zip about the Industry in Alberta. I can give you the names of three large companies that are looking for Engineers. L3Mass is always looking for Engineers a branch of the company is called Spar AreroSpace and it's located in Alberta. L3Mass are the sub-contractors responsible for designing components for the Sea King Replacement the Cyclone. Another large Engineering company is Canadian Marconi Company out of Ottawa they are always looking for Engineers, and people with experience in Human Factors. The third is General Dynamics it's based out of Ottawa but have offices located through out Canada-I think? I hope this helps. I have a few contacts in the Engineering World, but only Aviation related.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Hi Kale, I assume you are looking for an engineering position (although a lot of the jobs on the rigs probably pay more). Check out the Alberta society for professional engineers & geoscientists @ http://www.apegga.com/. There you can find info on how to get registered... you probably will have to have four years of professional work experience. Should be job listings as well. Websites like monster.ca etc.. may have jobs as well. Good luck.

kale7334

Apr 17, 2006
Thank you guys...I really appreciate your replies. Mmike said that there are some well paid jobs at the Rigs? I do not know anything about the rig work ..Do i need any qualification ? Is it a manual labor type job ? I dont have any problem there, i have worked as a police officer to a cook, dishwasher..just you name it. I just wanted to see how the salaries are then? If you know anyone who works there, i would love to email him/her...thanks again for all 3 of you for posting some replies to my question..keep sending..im here..Alberta is my definite destination, but should I just jump ? Monster isnt helping much..nor canada jobs. I am not sure what my next step should be? What do people do ? just jump in and start swimming ? or should i wait till i get a job offer?
Keep me posted...thanks again.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Alberta's oil sands is screaming for workers, the starting pay is $15 hour for fast food workers. I've no idea what an Engineer might make. Come on Gunslinger, help this bloke out.

kale7334

Apr 17, 2006
Humm...well..I am still in the US. Planning to move to Alberta. Know any engineers ?

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
kale7334 said:
Humm...well..I am still in the US. Planning to move to Alberta. Know any engineers ?

I've met three enginners in my lifetime. One was ex-military, and he was an arrogant pompous ass. Last I heard, he was not working in his chosen field. The other was a snooty little drip of a femme. She wasn't overly intelligent, was borderline anorexic, and highly conceited. The third worked on the railroad. Yes, a train driver.

My opinion, engineers aren't the most fun people around.

Anyway, good luck with your job prospects, and I hope you write better cover letters than you do Internet solicitations. :p

kale7334

Apr 17, 2006
hahahaha ...I do I do..thanks and I will prove your 'engineer people' theory wrong....