myspace

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I never really understood myspace but everyone now seems to have one. Maybe I should give in to the darkside and set one up.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Myspace is a popular web site that deals with the person’s ego.

People just love to talk about themselves, a lot will tell everything that is important to them.

People that make money on identity theft like these sites also.

People that use sites like Myspace is going down a dangerous path.

The government of Ontario has added Facebook web site to their restricted list.

This means that if a government employee wants to go onto this web site at work a message comes up Restricted Access.

I can see why the government is doing this and it has to do with employees giving out inadvertently sensitive information.

When people are chatting online at work they will eventually talk about work.

No matter what job they are doing they will talk about their jobs and will answer any type of questions to make themselves look more important.

Since anyone can open up an account and give a false identity you just don’t know whom you are talking to.

The more information you give about yourself the more likely you will be targeted.

Since we are at war on terrorism giving too much information can be fatal to you and your family.

The other day I was riding on a crowded bus and the traffic was slow and these two law clerks were talking about their work about a specific case that they were working on and in the course of their conversation I learned which case it was and what problems the lawyers were having with this case.

If I wanted to make money, I could have gone to the opposing side and sell them this information.

This is on a bus can you imagine what type of information is being transmitted on the internet.

Now if you are using these sites at home the last thing you want to talk about is work.

More government agencies and major corporations will be restricting their workers access to these types of sites.

Like anything these sites can be a nice experience as long as you use it properly.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Yes, Myspace is very much used to create useless pages about people who don't really need it.

But in the end, Myspace is simply a tool for self-promotion. I'm a musician and nowadays, more and more people in the music industry use Myspace simply because it is easy and affordable. Why send a demo CD to a bar owner when you can simply send him your Myspace link? Imagine you are a bar owner looking for fresh new bands to play at your bar. Would you prefer having your desk filled with CDs or a list of web links?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I never really understood myspace but everyone now seems to have one. Maybe I should give in to the darkside and set one up.
You will be able to make friends with a ton of old men who pretend to be swimsuit models. You might have to get your own hotbabe avatar and get on everyone elses friends list too.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
I take advantage of the "hosting" of that thing- it is a fine place to share new stuff I'm workin on without having to contact everyone separately. I do NOT "participate" in anything myspace-related tho, like all that crap that folks like to do, surveys and all that crap- my "buddy list" is all folks I actually know, besides a few fave bands (I am a die-hard Metal fan and even online much of my fave music is poorly represented- tours and shows can be slapped together overnight, albums only released in certain countries- being in touch on the "myspace level" with that sort of thing is good) and a few clever joke accounts (like "unemployed Skeletor", who actually puts some good work into the pages to make it funny most of the time)

I turn down pretty much any unsolicited thing I get on there tho, and I honestly don't even look at it more than once every two weeks unless I'm anticipating some kind of news. Tha attempts at data mining and stuff are painfully obvious, and I have more han enough actual friends that I don't need to "collect" morons like trading cards

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
You can make myspace protected so only people you add as friends can see it. I am just on some rollerblading forums an everyone seems to have a myspace acount. It could make a person feel more connected with people that they know who have simmilar interests.

P.S. There is a British musician who became famous because of myspace.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
The problem I have with facebook is it sends out too much spam. I'm reluctant go fuel the spam machine.
Actually, I've never been to facebook...I just heard the word in the underground...:) I know that I dislike myspace. It's a younger crowd than myself...it's pretty...I dunno how to describe it, but I haven't been in myspace in a year or so. It wasn't...my...thing...I guess?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Actually, I've never been to facebook...I just heard the word in the underground...:) I know that I dislike myspace. It's a younger crowd than myself...it's pretty...I dunno how to describe it, but I haven't been in myspace in a year or so. It wasn't...my...thing...I guess?

It's a younger crowed them myself to but at 29 I'm getting older. This younger crowed is slowly graduating and joining the workforce. I suppose facebook is another dark side I could join. Some people have added me to there face book but I've never joined.

Viviand

Mar 15, 2007
I must admit I've joined the facebook and myspace darksides. Not terribly excited about it, although it helps to keep in touch with family and friends who aren't close by. Can view pictures, post links update blogs, that kind of stuff which is kind of nice.