My Pet Peeve (part 1)

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Ok, seriously people, why is it that when people are on an escalator, moving sidewalk, etc., people just STAND there? Hello, since when is the fact that the ground underneath you is moving an excuse to STOP WALKING? Are people really that lazy? At least if you are just going to stand there, MOVE TO THE SIDE so that other people can pass you. That's how it's done in London and they have no problems with it, why can't we do that here? I mean, have you ever actually thought about how sloooooooowly escalators go? Try to actually pay attention to how slowly you are moving next time. It's painful.

With obesity and global warming being such problems, I say we ban escalators and replace them with stairs. Think about it. No wonder obesity is a problem when people are too lazy to walk up the stairs. Not only that, but escalators are one way. Ever been in a mall and wanted to go upstairs but all the escalators were going down and you had to walk to the other side of the mall? That would never happen with stairs. I can understand that some people might need escalators if they are old or have a medical condition, but wouldn't an elevator be even better in that case? I say we boycott malls with escalators.

Ok, ok, so half the stuff I said is "tongue in cheek", but I think you get the point.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: daisygirl

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Clearing my throat. :roll: I stand there because I am crippled, and so is my husband. We just haven't surrendered to a wheelchair. The routine at our airport for the moving sidewalk is this: Standers on the right, walkers on the left. No one gets run over or slowed down. Get with the program, and you can erase that pet peeve.

Uncle

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
I said I understand people who need the escalators...but I'm talking about people who are in their 20s to 30s!

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
I should probably reiterate that my post was "tongue in cheek". Just trying to have a little fun on a friday night ;-)

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
I should probably reiterate that my post was "tongue in cheek". Just trying to have a little fun on a friday night ;-)

I always thought it was a personal crusade against me, these non walkers, but I am pleased to see it is not just the universe out to get me...:lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
There was a story on the news today, out of Toronto, that said:

They no longer want anyone moving on their escalators, as there has been a number of injuries over
the past years, and now, they want everyone standing 'still' when on them.

The particular story they showed was at the Toronto airport.

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
I use a cane and have problems walking. When I am on an escalator, I need to hold on tight since I am somewhat shaky. However, I do stand to the side and although it is easier for me to hold on to the left, I try to hold on to the right. When I get off, however, I do have problems and no one should be around me or else I could fall. (I do try to get on the escalator when there is no one else there but it doesn't always work.)

When I use the elevators at stores which are supposed to be reserved for the disabled or for mothers with baby carriages, I am usually run over by able bodied people who are too lazy to use the stairs for one level. They actually will hurry to beat me to the elevator. :roll:

On "good" days or when I have no choice and must use the stairs, it becomes a problem since I need to hold on to the railing on the left to help pull me up. I have nerve damage in both arms but it is easier for me to hold the railing in my left hand and my cane in the right...so now I am a big problem for everyone else. I do try to use the right, occasionally, but it is extremely slow and tedious for people behind me who tend to become impatient.

As a sidenote, I would like to add to all the young, energetic, able-bodied people out there: I used to be very athetic and active but things happen, and your life can change in one minute, as mine did. Live life to the fullest. Always treasure what you have and never, ever take anything for granted.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Tongue where??

I use a cane also, due to osteo; too much walking and working in me younger pirate days. Actually the cane is really no longer required all the time due to a great surgeon who did a number on me leg.:wav:YAY GREAT SURGEON!!!

But I keep it to bash impertinent young pricks who think they can barge past me on an escalator. In such a goddam hurry, take the 401............;-)(tongue in cheek also) ha ha .

Yah, I'm gonna run up the down escalator. My luck, pantleg would get caught and I would be sucked most painfully into that tiny crack at the bottom. Good plot for a Stephen King, don't ya think?:idea:. Kreskin; I'll spot ya half a block, best out of 3 on a scooter, ok? Round the block once. Yipeeee.:blob4:

Likely.:-|

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Empathizin with Miss Daisy

As a sidenote, I would like to add to all the young, energetic, able-bodied people out there: I used to be very athetic and active but things happen, and your life can change in one minute, as mine did. Live life to the fullest. Always treasure what you have and never, ever take anything for granted.[/quote]

Sorry to hear about the mobility issues Daisy. That's sound advice you give there.

Before surgery, when I was in pain and really needed to use a cane, I became completely amazed at the rudeness of people, letting doors slam on ya, running for the elevator, etc.

I used to try and help where I could before. NOW, I ALWAYS hold a door open, give way, etc.
Bound and determined never to be regarded as an ignorant, pushy, asshole..................except on CC, when I lose my mind from time to time.:toothy3::oops:

N'Ugg.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've always wondered why some people feel they have to walk or run on an escalator. They push past people like they are in some God-awful hurry. It's not like they are being held up by people standing because the escalator is already moving at a good enough clip. I think they get some kind of rush out of doubling their speed. Doubtless these are the same people who change lanes 19 times on a crowded freeway to improve their position by four car lengths. 8O:p

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Basically manners have gone out the window. At the cost of hurting someone's feelings:people from countries with huge cramped populations tend to be a lil too pushy for my liking.Maybe it's survival in that country.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
I've always wondered why some people feel they have to walk or run on an escalator. They push past people like they are in some God-awful hurry. It's not like they are being held up by people standing because the escalator is already moving at a good enough clip. I think they get some kind of rush out of doubling their speed. Doubtless these are the same people who change lanes 19 times on a crowded freeway to improve their position by four car lengths. 8O:p

Well, I don't run on the escalator, I walk, and I am quite considerate of the people that I pass...BUT this brings me to my next pet peeve! People who drive fast and walk slow! The other day, I nearly got run over by someone speeding through a red light...turns out we were going to the same store and I saw him inside. This guy was in his 30's and he sure took his time moving down the aisles. If he was in such a rush, shouldn't he be running? How many people die of speedwalking vs. how many people die from speeding in their car? No matter how much of a rush you are in, DRIVE SLOWLY AND DON"T SPEED!! If you're really, really, in a rush, you could easily make up that time by WALKING a little faster, not driving faster! People who speed in their cars and then walk so slowly make no sense to me. Again, I can understand some people, especially old people, need to walk slowly, but those people are usually good drivers as well. It's the 20's - 40's crowd I'm talking about here!

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
I use a cane and have problems walking. When I am on an escalator, I need to hold on tight since I am somewhat shaky. However, I do stand to the side and although it is easier for me to hold on to the left, I try to hold on to the right. When I get off, however, I do have problems and no one should be around me or else I could fall. (I do try to get on the escalator when there is no one else there but it doesn't always work.)

When I use the elevators at stores which are supposed to be reserved for the disabled or for mothers with baby carriages, I am usually run over by able bodied people who are too lazy to use the stairs for one level. They actually will hurry to beat me to the elevator. :roll:

On "good" days or when I have no choice and must use the stairs, it becomes a problem since I need to hold on to the railing on the left to help pull me up. I have nerve damage in both arms but it is easier for me to hold the railing in my left hand and my cane in the right...so now I am a big problem for everyone else. I do try to use the right, occasionally, but it is extremely slow and tedious for people behind me who tend to become impatient.

As a sidenote, I would like to add to all the young, energetic, able-bodied people out there: I used to be very athetic and active but things happen, and your life can change in one minute, as mine did. Live life to the fullest. Always treasure what you have and never, ever take anything for granted.

Sorry to hear about this. I have no problem with people who stand because they have to, I'm talking about people who do it because they are lazy. And it sucks that able-bodied people run you over running for the elevator. Able bodied people should be banned from elevators as well! And any able bodied person who runs over a disabled person should be thrown in jail! :lol: I think if people can take the stairs, they should. It's good for you, and will keep you in shape. Not to mention that it is better for the environment.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Face it, most people are sheep. Few can read or even understand that there are signs posted all over the place to help them remains safe and provide for an orderly and swift expedite of your travels.

Understanding that there are various speeds at which people are forced or choose to travel at has for the most part been considered. "Stand on the right, Pass on the left" we all know these rules. Not everyone has a limited allotment of time to reach their destination. Not everyone can afford to waste the time they have standing around and waiting.

Working together this all becomes seamless and no one if bothered by the variable pace in the least. But once some bonehead jumps into the works, this smooth operating system runs amok.

Pinch points are always areas that these passive aggressive types congregate. The whole power trip of "I can hold you here, because you are so polite" manifests and what is much like road rage takes place.

A word or two is exchanged, tempers flare and some imaginary rights are at once violated and fought for. Then the long dark moments of regret in what shoulda/coulda happened.

From escalators to roadways, and from message boards to international policies, it would be better if we all tried to get out of the way of others and arrive when we want to ourselves.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Actually, daisygirl's post also reminds me of Pet Peeve #3.

People who don't give up their seat on the bus for a disabled person. Personally, if I'm sitting at the front of the bus and all the seats are taken, and an old or disabled person gets on the bus, I'm the first to get up and move. But some people are too damn lazy to do that. The other day I was sitting at the back of the bus and I saw an old man get on, but all the seats in the front of the bus were taken. There is one seat reserved for the elderly/disabled but you have to pull the seat down. So, this guy was struggling with the seat while the bus started moving, and meanwhile 20ish year old girls (University students) were just sitting there! I felt like walking to the front of the bus and telling them to MOVE...or at least help the man get the seat down. But no, they couldn't be bothered. It's pretty sad really.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There are times when I think we could solve a lot of problems by raising the minimum driving age to 40. The other day I was driving on the upper levels highway from Horseshoe Bay when a young bozo in a pickup behind me started waving and blinking his lights wanting me to pull over so he could pass. I was in the left lane but I was behind traffic. I generally use the two second rule in heavy traffic to allow for the morons like the one behind me. I can only assume that he would have been happy only if I was tailgating the car ahead of me like he was doing to me. I don't know if this guy walked slow, but if he did I would have gladly ran over him by the time I got to my exit.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
I don't know if this guy walked slow, but if he did I would have gladly ran over him by the time I got to my exit.

:lol::lol::lol:

I can't help but thinking that if everyone who is in such a hurry as that guy walked a little faster, no one would need to speed, and we wouldn't have road rage. Wouldn't that be nice!