My Nokia 6620 review.

kalok

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2005
Montreal
www.geocities.com
Hi there,
For those who remember me, I work as a dealer for Rogers Wireless, my passion is really this; MOBILE PHONES. Now that Rogers has launched the Nokia 6620 about a week or so. I've decided to make a review on it.
I know that 6620 is not new in market, but it's new at Rogers, and it's actually kicking.

It’s been a week than I’m using my Nokia 6620 from Rogers Wireless, firmware version is : V 4.22.1, 25-11-04, NHL-12.
The phone comes with a battery BL-5C, 32MB MMC card, DKU-2 USB Cable, and of course a home charger.

Overall, I’m very satisfied with phone, however, there still something that I don’t like about it. Read on! Since I moved from a Blackberry 6280 and Motorola V600 (constantly switching), so most of my compare will be based on those 2 models.

Please Note, I’m Chinese, in a French city, so my English sucks!

Reception
I’ve been going to some dead spots (mall toilets) and other weak area, this baby carry the call all the time, I was using a V600 for a good 6 months, I can say, 6620 beats V600. It could still carry the call without a problem even I had only one bar of Reception, “depends on theme, the theme I was using shows 7 bars if full reception”

You can’t be disappointed in term of reception on Nokia phones, especially when it’s PC4 850mhz.. PRO!

Sound
The sound quality is a wow! Crystal clear. I mean I couldn’t believe that I was using a Nokia phone. There is no hissing at ALL. Another bad thing is, I find the ear piece volume is kind of low. Unlike other nokia phones that are known as LOUD earpiece. However, the speaker phone isn’t good at all. If I compare with Motorola V series phones, Nokia is nothing. Because the volume is really low, even I’ve put it to max, I have to be in very very quiet place to hear it. If you’re in a coffee shop or something similar, then trust me, you’ll have a hard time hearing your friend talking. That’s actually, a typical weak point of all Nokia phones.

MP3 quality, this part is really similar to the Nokia 3300, if I use the stereo headset, no doubt, it’s perfect. If I only use the speaker from the phone, well.. like I said previously, NO GOOD. However, the volume is higher than on a phone call.

Camera
For a phone that has only 640 x 480 pixels, this is really a baby. Let me show you a few pictures here, please put in mind, I wasn’t even using NIGHT MODE. I don’t know about you guys, but I found it better than Motorola VXXX.

note, the PRO truck picture were taken when I was walking by, so it's blurry, it's normal.

Video is fun, but it limited to a max 10minutes, but you can take a lots of 10minutes video depending the memories available. When recording a video, if you’re moving too fast or if you zoom, the quality will get bad. But for this phone I’ll say okay. I’m not a big fan of pic and video, so I can’ say much about it.
Bluetooth

Synch
I have a D-Link BT adaptor on my pc, with Nokia PC Suite 6.4 installed. Since I’ve authorized my pc to connect, so every time I activate BT on 6620, it will automatically connect, so then you can all kind of transfer, even installing an application. I don’t know if that’s because of my BT adaptor or the BT of the phone, but the transfer is pretty fast. It took me 10 minutes to transfer a 20 minutes of RM format video, and it took me more than 30 minutes when I transfer with the USB Cable. Then of course, you don’t always need PC suite or any Nokia programs to transfer media files (pics, mp3, video, etc)

BT Pairings
Of course you can set it hidden or shown to all. You can also set authorized paired devices, for example, I set authorized to my Motorola HS820, it will connect as soon as I turn on the headset. Which I’m pretty sure is standard on all BT phones.

Headset use
This is actually good, when I receive a call, the phone will ring, and the same ringtune will also ring in the headset. And of course I can answer my calls by pressing the button on my headset.

The Look…
You might think that’s big for a phone, but it’s not THAT big. I personally prefer the Canadian version ( dark gray and silver 2 tunes housing ) more than the US version ( white ) and 6600 ( all black or dark gray ). The one I have, I think I can call it special Edition, since my menu, pen ( copy/paste ) and clear buttons are white, and the “normal” ones are black. See picture.

You can have different themes, if you know how to play with the theme creator, you can do whatever you want with it, ie changing menu icons, battery/signal bars, you name it!

Keypad
Love the look, hate to use. I almost drop my phone on my first day because the “END” button is on the border of the right side, but that I needed sometimes to get use to it. When the phone is on stand by mode, you have to press slower. For example, if I need to dial 1234567, I have to press few more times on the 1 to actually get it. Other than that, it’s fine. And hey, I am back with T9 again, lovin it!

The joystick, at first, I thought it wouldn’t be good, I thought it will just be as bad as the Motorola C650, but no, it isn’t! It can easily browse on the phone without a problem.

Screen
It’s only 65k, but LARGE SCREEN. Needless to say more.

Menu
This another thing that I really love about this phone. You can plenty stuff at the same time. You don’t need to close an application to start another one. Press and hold the menu key, it’ll appear a list of application/folders/web/etc that are opened. For example, yesterday I was talking on the phone with a friend with my Bluetooth headset, sending a MMS to treatz, browsing HOFO on HTML and Chatting with another friend on MSN.

Phonebook
Standards : First Name, Last Name, Company, Job Title, Telephone#, Mobile, Fax, and Email. You can have additional details : 3 other Telephone#, 3 other Mobile, 3 other Fax, pager, 3 other email, 3 Web Address, 3 Address, Touch Tones, Birthday and note. You can, for sure, add thumbnail to contact. I don’t like the fact that it doesn’t have FULL screen picture caller ID. But that you can download an application to get it.

Battery
Eh..SUCK! That I’m pretty sure everyone using the 6620 already knew about that. I’m using BL-5C, and I need to charge it every 12 hours with my usage. I’m always on Agilemessenger (msn), that’s means I’m always on GPRS/EDGE, and I use BT every time I drive, so maybe that’s my main problem to drain the battery so fast. But I will still suggest to get the BL-6C, apparently it can hold a day longer.

FUN
Applications… You’ll have so much fun with the application, no matter is it’s free or not. You can have remote control on your phone, RF tracker, MSN/ICQ/YAHOO/AOL messenger ( from agilemessenger ) buff.. you name it. And remember, it can support up to 1 GB MMC card, do you know how many movies and/or games you can have with 1GB? Well.. for movies maybe not much, but games and other stuff.. you can have a lot!

Ratings out of 10
Performance……………..…....8
Build quality……………...…..9
Battery life……………....……..5
Features…………………..…... 10
Overall……………….........……9

PROs:
Great Sound quality
EDGE
HTML
Access to many application
Support MMC to 1GB

Cons:
BATTERY LIFE
Ear Piece Volume a bit lower than other nokia phones
Speaker phone Volume Low
Slow keypad reaction when on stand by mode.

Note : the same review has been published in another Mobile Phone forum. However, I am the author.

kalok~