MUSIC LEGEND PASSES

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Long John Baldrey,a seminal figure in British Blues,died last night in a BC hospital. He was 65 years old and a Canadian citizen for the past 25. I'll be playing the Blues all today in respect. :(

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I never liked hearing the blues until the early '60's when the British bands were doing cover tunes of the older blues musicians[and made sure they were given credit,too].I have The Rolling Stones,The Yardbirds,and The kinks to thank for all the artists they've opened my mind to. And most of the members of the early Brit bands served in one or another of Long John Baldry's bands.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Oh no! I didn't hear that. Very sad. I've seen him several times. "It Ain't Easy" ... way better than Bowie's version. The one really crappy thing about my 40s is that my music legends are dropping.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Did anybody ever see him live? I saw him about 20 years ago at a festival outside of Battleford. Really good show.

Between Long John Baldry and John Mayall (saw him too) just about very British rock legend got their first big breaks...either by playing in their bands or being the opening acts.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
When i lived on the Coast we use to go see him at least 2 or 3times a year at the Yale hotel .He always put on a awesome show 8)