moving to alberta just not sure where....

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I love Alberta but I'm long gone for Saskatchewan soon,still love pilsner!

Long Gone to Saskatchewan.wmv - YouTube

Alberta's getting too big and I hate crowds.

Time to help develop SK!

The next middle east of the west!

Nice to see the west is finally going to rock in Canada.

Boom time!

Come one come all,if you want to work it's here especially if your a trades person.

Last edited:

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Oh you'll love Alberta, it's the new centre of the known universe. Not to mention, environmentally, it's the cleanest place on earth. No one has died from any of the resource exploitation. Every thing's just awesome in Alberta!

Do they really need Nurses?...]

"Do they really need Nurses?" Yes, Alberta really needs nurses (and doctors too)!!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
hi everyone I hope you can help me with this, i just recently passed my practical nurse's exam in ontario and I am really considering moving to alberta, i am just not sure where, well calgary is at the top of my list. just for the fact that when i checked out the website for LPN's its the place that offers a lot of full-time positions! I just need advice...
Despite the rosy opinions of the oil industry shills. Be careful where you decide to plant your roots...

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/alberta/106718-pipeline-spill-no-2-299-a.html

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/members-lounge/107322-alberta-surface-land-rights.html

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Ignore the broken record.

There's doers and doggers in this country,we welcome the doers.
I see why you would want to leave.

Alberta has 206,000 Reasons to Thank Ontario
03/23/20121 Comment

It’s never pretty when siblings fight. Oh the uproar a few weeks ago when Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty threw Alberta under the economic bus! Paraphrasing, he suggested that Ontario’s economy would be doing much better if it wasn’t for Alberta’s booming oilsands industry, which (because of high oil prices) was driving up the value of the Canadian dollar. He didn’t stop there. If he had to choose between a thriving energy economy in Canada and a low dollar to prop up Ontario’s manufacturing rust belt, he’d choose the latter.

But figures released this week from Statistics Canada suggest that Ontario should actually be quite thankful for Alberta’s booming economy. And Alberta has 206,000 reasons to thank Ontario, too.
When we think of transplanted Albertans arriving from elsewhere in the country, we automatically think of Saskatchewan, or maybe Newfoundland and Labrador. Those provinces have certainly contributed their share of workers, but many of the Newfoundlanders working in Fort McMurray remain resident on “The Rock” (more or less commuting back and forth to northern Alberta for weeks at a time). And our twin sister Saskatchewan has traditionally done its part to boost Alberta’s labour pool; yet now that province’s economy is experiencing its own economic boom and fewer are leaving.

It turns out that Ontario has contributed more to the growth of Alberta’s population than any other province. Over the last ten years, nearly 206,000 people from Ontario have moved to Alberta—about the size of three Red Deers. More people moved to Alberta than currently live in Windsor, Ontario! Plenty of Albertans have moved in the opposite direction (122,596 to be precise). Still, on a net basis, Ontario has boosted Alberta’s population by 82,952. Saskatchewan contributed a net of 23,000 folks, and Newfoundland only 17,000.

Ontario can hardly complain about a shrinking population. During the past decade it has accounted for by far the largest share of international migration. Its overall population has increased by 12.2% over the past ten years, higher than the national average of 11.2%. Newfoundland and Labrador’s population has fallen 2%, and the other Atlantic provinces are essentially unchanged. Provinces struggling to hold on to their existing populations may have reason to gripe. Yet it wasn’t the Premier of New Brunswick calling down Alberta last week.

The fact that 206,000 people moved from Ontario to Alberta over the past decade has to do with one thing: jobs. A strong energy economy, particularly in the oilsands, has boosted employment in Alberta tremendously. And despite a sudden but short halt during 2009-10, overall employment in the province has provided fantastic work opportunities for hundreds of thousands of Canadians.

Consider the 206,000 people who migrated from Ontario to Alberta. If we assume that roughly 50,000 of these would be children not of working age, that means some 150,000 adults left Ontario because they were without work (or at very least, had a better opportunity in Alberta). If those 150,000 job seekers had stayed put in Ontario, the overall unemployment rate in that province would be 9.7%—much higher than the 7.6% reported in February.

Shouldn’t Ontario be cheering on Alberta’s job creating machine?

This is the advantage of living in a large country like Canada with guarantees for its citizens to move about freely and take work where it is available. In the 1980s, thousands of Albertans were leaving for the same reason (many of them to the factory floors of southern Ontario). Now the tides have once again reversed. Why do provinces and their political leaders attack each other and their respective regions? We should be doing everything we can to build each other up, since labour mobility between provinces and regions works distinctly in favour of the national economy.

Thanks for the 206,000 new Albertans, Mr. McGuinty. They are greatly appreciated. We know you’re very sad to see them leave, just as we were sad in 1980. But everyone is better off if Canadians are working, regardless of where in the country they find that work. Alberta is better off. Ontario is better off. Ottawa is happy with the income tax revenue, and glad to be paying fewer E.I. benefits. We should be the happiest country on the planet—yet with comments like yours, no one would guess.

The fact that 206,000 people moved from Ontario to Alberta over the past decade has to do with one thing: jobs. A strong energy economy, particularly in the oilsands, has boosted employment in Alberta tremendously. And despite a sudden but short halt during 2009-10, overall employment in the province has provided fantastic work opportunities for hundreds of thousands of Canadians.

Consider the 206,000 people who migrated from Ontario to Alberta. If we assume that roughly 50,000 of these would be children not of working age, that means some 150,000 adults left Ontario because they were without work (or at very least, had a better opportunity in Alberta). If those 150,000 job seekers had stayed put in Ontario, the overall unemployment rate in that province would be 9.7%—much higher than the 7.6% reported in February.

Shouldn’t Ontario be cheering on Alberta’s job creating machine?

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Like I said,some folks are jealous of our prosperity and we have no room for that attitude,whiners and crybabys stay home.

I've been to Alberta dozens of times and have generally enjoyed myself there. Worst aspect is Calgary drivers................f**kin' terrible!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I've been to Alberta dozens of times and have generally enjoyed myself there. Worst aspect is Calgary drivers................f**kin' terrible!
I've been to Alberta too.

It's beautiful, great fishing, good food, good people, racism, ignorance, criminality, environmental damage, etc.

Other than experiencing an economic boon, it's not unlike anywhere else in the country.

Am I jealous? Of the fishing, maybe. But than again, I have more fishing opportunities here in Ontario.

It all depends on where ones priorities are.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Stay away from Red Deer because of the oil spill I hear the stench is bad unless you like the smell of crude with you morning coffee. Southern Alberta is good and northern Alberta is colder

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Now go muddy up some other thread.
That's your job. I was just posting the flip side of the rosy image people from Alberta think their province is.

That's called a dissenting opinion.

I can see why that would upset you.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
hi everyone I hope you can help me with this, i just recently passed my practical nurse's exam in ontario and I am really considering moving to alberta, i am just not sure where, well calgary is at the top of my list. just for the fact that when i checked out the website for LPN's its the place that offers a lot of full-time positions! I just need advice...
Just do what you're doing. Where the work is is where you want to be.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've never given much thought to where I'd live in AB if I were to relocate and I'm not sure where I'd set up shop.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I've never given much thought to where I'd live in AB if I were to relocate and I'm not sure where I'd set up shop.

I like the pass,we have the scenery of Banff and Canmore,world class trout streams and taxes and real estate are still fairly cheap.
We just dont have any industry,the coal mines in B.C. pretty well employ the whole pass and they bus them over the border to work.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I like the pass,we have the scenery of Banff and Canmore,world class trout streams and taxes and real estate are still fairly cheap.
We just dont have any industry,the coal mines in B.C. pretty well employ the whole pass and they bus them over the border to work.
I'm Prairie boy through and through and like the poplar and birch forest more than the evergreen. Regina is in the perfect spot with wide open prairie to the west and south with parkland bush starting 10 miles out to the north and east.

The farm in East Central SK along the MB border is in an incredible location and where I will end up

When the steelheads from Diefenbaker make their way up river to AB, you'll have even better trout fishing. ;)

I'd have to live someplace like Cypress Hills if I were in AB. You can pick your terrain and flora by elevation in just a few minutes.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I'm Prairie boy through and through and like the poplar and birch forest more than the evergreen. Regina is in the perfect spot with wide open prairie to the west and south with parkland bush starting 10 miles out to the north and east.

The farm in East Central SK along the MB border is in an incredible location and where I will end up

When the steelheads from Diefenbaker make their way up river to AB, you'll have even better trout fishing. ;)

I'd have to live someplace like Cypress Hills if I were in AB. You can pick your terrain and flora by elevation in just a few minutes.

I'm right on the Livingstone range so the praries start a few miles to the east.I wish we had birch,we get the odd one but they are rare.
We got lots of poplars after the lost creek fire,those are the only trees besides the fir that did not burn.
The crowsnest river is about 100 meters from my house,nice to be able to walk to your fishing hole.

I like SK,lived in Estevan for 2 years when younger,my uncle was chief of police there then.
Used to love driving out at night and watching "Big Lou" swinging in the coal fields.

Don't rule out B.C.

B.C. village vying for doctors offers house as incentive for new recruit
Erin Perkins, Sunday, July 01, 2012 12:00 AM

NAKUSP, B.C. - The threat of a closed emergency room and fierce competition for doctors has led the village of Nakusp, B.C., to buy a house so a physician facing 10 job offers can live there with his family.

The idea came from the Arrow Lakes Hospital Auxiliary and the local hospital foundation after a resident left them an undisclosed amount of money in a will.

"We thought if we were to offer housing it might help attract a doctor to our community and it did help," said Ulli Mueller, foundation director and member of the housing committee that formed a corporation to buy the four-bedroom house for $280,000.

The community partially furnished a bedroom, dining room and living room so the young couple doesn't have to move everything in until they have decided to stay.

The doctor is just finishing his residency in Golden B.C., and is set to move into the home this weekend with his child, wife and parents.

The international medical graduate had 10 communities vying for his attention, said Dr. Norm Lea, the lone full-time physician who is the chief of medical staff at the Arrow Lakes Hospital and operates his own family practice.

Lea said the new doctor is "awfully impressed with Nakusp" and committed to working there for two years.

"We've been trying really hard over the past few years to get some more permanent physicians in here and it's been really tough," said Nakusp Mayor Karen Hamling, who is also a director on the West Kootenay-Boundary Regional Hospital District board.

"We've come close to shutting our emergency room because of a lack of staff," she said. "Dr. Lea has cancelled plans in his own life to stay and keep it open."

In the past five years, the number of doctors in the community, which serves about 5,000 people in the West Kootenays region, has dropped from three full-time and one part-time physician to one full-time and another who works three-quarter time.

Rather than wait for a more serious physician shortage and potential emergency room closure such as in Princeton, B.C., last September, the remote community on the shores of Upper Arrow Lake has opted to attract medical staff with subsidized housing.

"We are so isolated," said Mike George, chairman of the Arrow Lakes Hospital Foundation. "With impassable roads and being so far from anywhere we have to stay open. It's a matter of life and death."

Rural communities struggling to recruit doctors have offered free vehicles and free use of health clinics to help younger doctors who've accumulated years of student loan debts, he said.

Karen Marshall, a member of the Arrow Lakes Hospital Auxiliary and the housing committee, said she hopes the new doctor will make the community his home for the long term.

"Then he could look for his own house and we could use the house to recruit another doctor," she said.

The doctor will need to pay utility costs in the first year and rent in the second year.

© The Canadian Press, 2012

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Peace River is a nice little town, not too big, not too small, has most of the amenities and situated nicely on the bank of the Peace.