Montreal-my destination-how is the living cost there?

Anthony_czl

Jun 12, 2007
I am planning to settle down in Montreal once I get the immigration visa. My English is ok, but I know nothing about French. I intend to learn French when I get there.
but I am wondering how the living cost is like there, because I don't have much money.:smile:

Thank you for all the responses. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Does anyone know the most feasible ways of how to rent an apartment in Montreal? website or some other information?

I am still out of Canada. I hope to rent an apartment before I land in Montreal. If the landlord can offer airport pickup service, it would be better.

Thank you all again!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You know, I don't think we actually have any members here who live in Montreal. I wish I could be of more help.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I live in Montreal... and it is affordable, if you compare it to cities such as Toronto.

It all depends on which part of the city you want to live in. If you don't know French, you'd be better off on the west side of the city... You could probably find decent affordable places in neighborhoods like Côte-des-Neiges and St-Henri... Check out Notre-dame-de Grâce too (commonly known as NDG)... Prices are usually higher but you can still find some good deals... Of course, I don't know what your standards of living are. Do you plan on living with other people?

If you're an immigrant, I'd tend to tell you to really check out Côte-des-Neiges... It's very multi-ethnic.

I live with 3 other people and it costs me 325$ rent per month... add transporation, phone and electricity bills and you can make that 425$... And I live in a very decent place. It's far away from downtown, but I'm so close to a metro station that it takes me barely 20 to 30 minutes to go downtown depending on the moment of the day...

If you're not afraid of French, and a little weird action at night time, you could find pretty cheap places in the Eastern part of the city... Hochelaga-Maisonneuve is a typical example...

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
I am planning to settle down in Montreal once I get the immigration visa. My English is ok, but I know nothing about French. I intend to learn French when I get there.

but I am wondering how the living cost is like there, because I don't have much money.:smile:

The cost of living ain't too bad. What's a drag is the traffic. I've never seen traffic this bad before and it seems that it gets worse every year. I would strongly advise you to try and get a place close to where you intend to work. If you want ot work downtown, get yourself a roomate and an apartment in the McGill ghetto. You will get by fine downtown as there are lots of English speaking students from McGill and Concordia that live and hang out in the area. However, if you want to live in a completely English speaking neighborhood, then I'd advise the West Island (Pointe Claire is quite affordable).

Anthony_czl

Jun 12, 2007
The cost of living ain't too bad. What's a drag is the traffic. I've never seen traffic this bad before and it seems that it gets worse every year. I would strongly advise you to try and get a place close to where you intend to work. If you want ot work downtown, get yourself a roomate and an apartment in the McGill ghetto. You will get by fine downtown as there are lots of English speaking students from McGill and Concordia that live and hang out in the area. However, if you want to live in a completely English speaking neighborhood, then I'd advise the West Island (Pointe Claire is quite affordable).

Thank you guys! Hope I will meet friendly people in Montreal. When I first get there, I problely can't find any job or buy a car soon. Maybe it is better for me to stay in downtown, where it is closer to shopping mall and other facilities. And I want to learn French when I get there. So, finding an apartment in McGill area is not a bad idea.

jimm1909

May 12, 2009
I live in Montreal... and it is affordable, if you compare it to cities such as Toronto.

It all depends on which part of the city you want to live in. If you don't know French, you'd be better off on the west side of the city... You could probably find decent affordable places in neighborhoods like Côte-des-Neiges and St-Henri... Check out Notre-dame-de Grâce too (commonly known as NDG)... Prices are usually higher but you can still find some good deals... Of course, I don't know what your standards of living are. Do you plan on living with other people?

If you're an immigrant, I'd tend to tell you to really check out Côte-des-Neiges... It's very multi-ethnic.

I live with 3 other people and it costs me 325$ rent per month... add transporation, phone and electricity bills and you can make that 425$... And I live in a very decent place. It's far away from downtown, but I'm so close to a metro station that it takes me barely 20 to 30 minutes to go downtown depending on the moment of the day...

If you're not afraid of French, and a little weird action at night time, you could find pretty cheap places in the Eastern part of the city... Hochelaga-Maisonneuve is a typical example...

I also live in Montreal and it is definitely affordable.

-jim

maruf rahman

Nov 6, 2010
Bangladesh
dear friends, will you please tell me which are the areas in Montreal are mostly english speaking community stays. As i am going to settle in montreal soon.