Meth attention contrived?

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Last weekend's article in a Vancouver newspaper [p3] said the media splash on "Crystal Meth" is just another installment in a phoney War on Drugs, described herehttp://www.lycaeum.org/drugwar/
like this:
the intent of which is not to prevent drug abuse (which it encourages), but to create a climate of distrust, fear, hostility, alienation, divisiveness, and violence within our society. The so called "War on Drugs" is in reality a war waged primarily against the young, the poor, the non-white and the socially disaffected to the advantage of the Elected, the Corporate, the Privileged and the Few.

Meant to weaken us, keep us under control, to their advantage...

Crystal Meth, as the paper pointed out, is no different than speed, methamphetamine, a barbituate. Its been around on the streets for decades. Its used by the army pilots who drop bombs on Cdn soldiers.

There is no epidemic, the numbers of actual hospitilizations and deaths where Crystal Meth is used is perfectly normal for street drug use. There is no increase...

Mind you, I have not tried it so I don't know for sure. But the kids on TV who say "its so crazy, you just want more more more from the first time out" are just excited, and being coached, and are merely describing a basic first trip on any mood-altering drug [other than pot, which does not do that].

In fact, I allways thought that the way they describe how it is made, where the chemicals are and how to do it all are SIMPLY BEING ADVERTISED with all this exposure.

They WANT us to try it. the War on Crystal Meth is a promotion campaign. The stories of the CIA bringing in cocaine to pay for various missions, etc., are within the bounds of this morality.

The pharmaceutical industry is one sector behind it, parlaying the War on Drugs into the idea that "pharmaceuticals are the only drugs we take". How nice for them... to bad for us they are more dangerous than street drugs!!

As for the War on Drugs in general, here is a link to a Harm Clock:
http://www.drugsense.org/wodclock.htm

"Is the War on Drugs a War on YOU? "[/b]

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Meth attention contri

was wondering about this last week, Karlin. According to the news, my nephews live in the middle of meth-world. A small town in Saskatchewan with plenty of the ingredients just laying about for the taking. It is, the radio and TV say, right in the middle of the epidemic.

Neither of my nephews has ever seen it and they don't know anybody who has even tried it. Everybody knows everybody in their town. The kids are a little wild, as kids from small towns tend to be.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Karlin, I hope what you say is true. A cousin of ours just died from ecstasy at 13yrs old.

My daughter is also 13 and has many school acquintances that use crack.

a visit to downtown Vancouver, pidgeon park area makes you believe that something very bad is definatley going on.

My daughters father is a heroin addict and had gone through treatment programs. He said reason it's so hard to stop using is because even in the restaurants he's being offered heroin.

Maybe the warning is about the potential for a pandemic of sorts. IT is definatley a particular type of individual who uses and becomes addicted. They're is going to be an increase in these types of people as more and more teenager girls believe it's acceptable and normal to raise children as a single parent. the population increase of these types is going to increase as society becomes less and less a "society" and rather a group of people who live near each other but have nothing to do with each other.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I think the problem is more the crack than meth .I know to many peope that have ruined there lives doing crack .I think that the mixing of meth with the crack is what your seeing Twinks .Dealers making sure their customers get hooked :evil:

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
The meth 'crackdown', I believe, followed on the heels of some politician's daughter getting strung out on it. Could just be bad parenting. And the Liberals are dragging their heels on ending the vilification of marihuana users so they lump all drugs together and use these scare stories against us. Take a look at the U.S. Procecution for 'crack' (a poor person's drug) is much more harsh than for cocaine (a wealthy person's drug). As a result, over 10% of U.S. incarcerants are doing hard time for 'crack'. Wouldn't you know they would be black.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: RE: Meth attention contri

Twila said:
Karlin, I hope what you say is true. A cousin of ours just died from ecstasy at 13yrs old.

My daughter is also 13 and has many school acquintances that use crack.

a visit to downtown Vancouver, pidgeon park area makes you believe that something very bad is definatley going on.

My daughters father is a heroin addict and had gone through treatment programs. He said reason it's so hard to stop using is because even in the restaurants he's being offered heroin.

Yes, it is dangerous. It is deadly at times. Crystal Meth is being layed on us thick and heavy, complete with instructions on how to make it. Drugging the general public is one of the cornerstones of control.

Prescription drugs, street drugs, and prescriptions that find their way onto the streets - the line is getting blurry. As long as we are on something, addicted. Our poor people tend to "get jiggy wid the street drugs", while wealthy people use prescriptions and purer cocaine, socail drinking, etc. Gambling works too, as long as we do not have our right minds to lead us thru life, and instead have a debt or addiction to keep us humbled.

Sorry to hear about your family members/cousins who have died or been caught in the trap of meth, ritilin, etc.

Wouldn't it be great if POT was the only drug we used?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Wouldn't it be great if POT was the only drug we used?

Yes, it would also mean we, as a society, as doing something right. That as parents, we're doing something right. As human beings we've done something right.

But maybe we'd not appreciate the wonders it we dont have to work for it.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
Meth has been a street drug since the mid-sixties. Ecxtasy is a twist on the old 'love drug' MDA. Neither have caused as much death in North America as restaraunt food. Let's ban chicken bones or make people eat more responsibly

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: Ad Agencies will get the dough

The $7million Meth-War program recently announced for B.C. will be more of the same tactics, another bit of the War on Drugs.

This money will go to things that benefit some businesspeople but not much else. Harken! - the Federal Sponsorship Program benefitted
Ad Agencies
!! Watch to see if this does too. javascript:emoticon('8O')
Shocked

Very little of it will actually be spent on helping the meth problem, whatever that may be.

The only direct help is treatment programs, and they say $2million, out of the $7M total, will be for treatment programs, but of that $2M, I bet most of it will not be spent on counsellors or de-tox centres*, but on telling addicts they are in danger. More ad agency contracts to get kick-backs from...

$2 million for the UBCM to help communities fight crystal meth by providing $10,000 seed grants to every community in the province that wants to participate and similar community-level programs for First Nations.

$3 million in the next year on a major public awareness campaign to educate parents, youth and other on what the drug does to those who fall prey to its destructive powers, and signs of crystal meth use

$1 million will go to school-based initiatives, and $2 million on a public advertising campaign.

Thats the breakdown. Propaganda about how bad Crystal meth is will be the primary result. Sure enough, ADVERTISING AGENCIES are going to get the actual cheques.

There is NO "Crystal Meth Epidemic", it is just a fear tactic that works well so they keep repeating it. Meth is just speed, its been around since the 60s.

What IS treatment?
* De-tox centres do no do a lot for addicts who come in looking to quit. They provide a basic bed , two to a room, and meals and a nurse and once a day doctor if you need him.
Thats great, but as for someone to talk to bad withdrawals cases, or to treat the various symptoms of withdrawals, there isn't much.

* Longer term treatment for addictions is for people who have gone thru de-tox, not used for at least a week or two. Meth or whatever, it is all 'addiction'.

Beyond those, I have not heard what they can do for Meth Addicts specifically. What is there to do, besides propaganda when the War they are throwing $7M at is a Fake War, another farcical chapter in the War on Drugs?

The actual "addict interactions" , real face-to-face help for 'meth' addicts, what the government plans to do with the $7M, is largely undefined. They like it that way.

Maybe someone should ask which ad agencies they will be using so we can see the results of the War on Meth.

LeftCoast

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2005
Vancouver

I think one of the big dangers with crystal meth is that like crack, X and heroin it is a home brew street drug. This means that the potency quality of the drug varies greatly and it is often cut with a variety of other drugs, toxic chemicals or inert substances. This makes it extremely easy to over dose. Heroin addicts are extremely aware of the varying potency of smack and so tend to get it from dealers they know. The high school kids who are taking meth and X naively believe that it is all the same.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

I wish they wouldn't ear mark monies for addiction based on the drug of choice.

I know there is an epidemic of drug use in my city. I see it. I don't know necessarily what they're addicted to but I can see the effects of their drugs on them physically.

It would be nice if they could get treatment based on need not on which drug.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: RE: :Larry Campbell agrees it is contrived

LeftCoast said:
I think one of the big dangers with crystal meth is that it is a home brew street drug. This means that the potency quality of the drug varies greatly and it is often cut with a variety of other drugs, toxic chemicals or inert substances.
The high school kids who are taking meth and X naively believe that it is all the same.

Good point. And another reason to end prohibition.

I see now that Larry Campbell, Vancouver City Mayor and appointed Senator now too, has come out and said that the Crystal Meth Epidemic is contrived. Thanks Larry, I had been saying that same thing here...
:wink:

I could not find the news link to that statement, but I heard it on TV news last night. I bet they won't let that happen again!!! {Someone got fired....