Do you think Medicare is worth saving?

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Oldwolf

Dec 7, 2005
Charles Addler was on today about Medicare and I'm afraid he made me NUTS!!!
It seems that the baby bomers who's fathers came back from the war and made one of the best medical service systems in the world are now determined to tear it down. They say the system is failing. Of course it's failing! The medical lobby groups have been working to weaken the system for years. How do you do that? Here a few of the ways.
Restrict training of nurses, technicians and doctors. Restrict pay for all the medical professions. Create a huge bureaucracy in the public system. Create waiting lists.
And then get right wing zealots like Addler to pump up anxiety about how the system is failing.
Give me a break !!! :x [/url]

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
They're not determined to tear it down, they're determined to make it work. And it doesn't work now. Letting people suffer on waiting lists in the name of equality - B.S.! The shortage of doctors is a big part of the problem, another is the problems inherent in a government run bureacracy, where they have never heard of the word 'efficiency'. The lack of capital is another. Any system with cost increase outpacing GDP growth by a factor of two or three to one is UNsustainable! BTW, welcome newbie! And we have a thread going in the Canadian Politics area, called "Blame Canada" - I know, can't tell from the title.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Medicare in Canada ne

How does making people pay the costs out of their own pockets make it more sustainable MMMikey? Especially when in addition to the real costs, they have to provide ever-increasing profits for some bastard in a suit who spends his days sitting behind a desk counting his money?

If a public system is unsustainable, then a two-tiered system that provides profits to shareholders in US insurance companies is doubly so.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Medicare in Canada ne

Reverend Blair said:
If a public system is unsustainable, then a two-tiered system that provides profits to shareholders in US insurance companies is doubly so.

It appears to be working in other countries.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Medicare in Canada ne

Reverend Blair said:
How does making people pay the costs out of their own pockets make it more sustainable MMMikey? Especially when in addition to the real costs, they have to provide ever-increasing profits for some bastard in a suit who spends his days sitting behind a desk counting his money?

Where did I say anything abou paying out of their own pockets? Where did I say anything about US-style insurance? Don't be so myopic. There is a world beyond the US, and there are better systems to model.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Medicare in Canada ne

Private care showdown expected in Manitoba

A teaser:

WINNIPEG — When Louise McDonald needed a magnetic resonance imaging scan for her troublesome knee, she faced two options, both of which had drawbacks.

She could wait three agonizing months for her turn in the public health-care system or get an appointment within four days at a private clinic in Calgary. But that would mean an outlay of cash and a trip of more than 1,000 kilometres from her Winnipeg home.

McDonald, 58, and her husband opted to fly to Calgary - something that Manitobans may not have to do anymore if a Winnipeg clinic gets its way.

"She has been in tremendous pain," McDonald's husband, John, said. "This has been a hardship on us as a family."

The Maples Surgical Centre is planning to run the province's first private MRI machine as soon as it gets approval from the Manitoba College of Physicians and Surgeons. That go-ahead could come this week.

The centre plans to offer patients MRI scans within 48 hours of calling for an appointment, at a fee of $695.

"This is a service that we can provide to the public, and there is definitely a need," said clinic manager Dwayne Venter.

But the province's NDP government appears to be taking a strong stand against such clinics - even though they already exist in Quebec, Nova Scotia, Alberta and British Columbia. Manitoba believes the private service would violate medicare laws and it has threatened to levy fines or other penalties. [/end of teaser]

Click link for full story.

No priviate for profit health care period, is my view.