Liberals in the lead with Dion

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
A new poll suggests that the Liberals are ahead of the Conservatives, and if an election were held today they would most likely win. I'm not surprised. I think the Liberals made a good choice with Dion, and I think he will make a good leader.

The poll was taken in the hours after the convention, where Mr. Dion, with the endorsement of Gerard Kennedy, surged past front-runner Michael Ignatieff and Bob Rae to claim the Liberal crown.
It shows that if an election were held today, the Liberals led by Mr. Dion would garner 37 per cent of the vote, compared with 31 per cent for the Conservatives. The NDP polled 14 per cent, the Bloc Québécois 11 per cent, and the Green Party, 7.

Link

RedGreen

Nominee Member
Dec 3, 2006
Nanaimo, BC
Great to hear gc. Maybe come election time those numbers will be even more slanted. I hope Mr. Kennedy can win some seats in Alberta.

I can hardly wait to see M. Dion in question period tomorrow. I'm sure he'll be a little timid at first but that's just fine. :cool:

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Of course he would win today..he's all over the news and moronic voters want to vote for winners..not good leaders...Give him sometime in office with his lack of policy, his defence of Liberal enviromental policy waffling on Afghanistan and all in Mangled English then take a poll!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Of course he would win today..he's all over the news and moronic voters want to vote for winners..not good leaders...Give him sometime in office with his lack of policy, his defence of Liberal enviromental policy waffling on Afghanistan and all in Mangled English then take a poll!!

Dion's policies are quite clear to anyone who listened to the debates. Canada has given her word on Kyoto. Harper has broken it. Dion, like Canada, is committed to at least two more years in Afghanistan. Dion's English is accented but gramatically correct. You can't say that about most of the members of this forum.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
well you can defend all you want it doesn't make for a good leader... btw Japan is backing away from Kyoto. Furthermore is it not under the Liberals that our emmissions have mushroomed... As usual we here the talk but never see anyone doing the walk....

Agree with his policy or not..Harper is much more likely to act on things..and quickly...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Dion's policies are quite clear to anyone who listened to the debates. Canada has given her word on Kyoto. Harper has broken it. Dion, like Canada, is committed to at least two more years in Afghanistan. Dion's English is accented but gramatically correct. You can't say that about most of the members of this forum.

Realistically, Juan, the Liberals had broken their promise on Kyoto (with Dion as Environment Minister) long before Harper came to power. Harper is simply honest enough to say it ain't gonna happen.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
well you can defend all you want it doesn't make for a good leader... btw Japan is backing away from Kyoto. Furthermore is it not under the Liberals that our emmissions have mushroomed... As usual we here the talk but never see anyone doing the walk....

Agree with his policy or not..Harper is much more likely to act on things..and quickly...

Bill, I'm not trying to start a fight but what happened to the wonderful things Harper was going to do for our military. What happened to the order for heavy lift aircraft? What happened to the armed icebreakers? I haven't heard anything. Most of these things will be years off if they haven't been forgoten.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
To be fair on Kyoto, the Liberals only ratified in 2002. Would you expect or be happy if they started tabling legislation without knowing the consequeces of said immediate action? We had til 2012, we still have 5 years and change. Giving up now by saying it isn't possible is a defeatist attitude that does not sit well with me. I expect better things from Canada, I would be horrified if any of our parties were responsible for a pre-mature exit from Afghanistan. It's no different for environment issues to me.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
well of course they will be years off...

1st it's the Liberals ever since Trudeau that tore apart the military,
2nd you don't just go out and pick a new plane off the shelf.

You do trials, you have bids, then they build them for you..yes it will take years..all more the reason why it was so stupid not to be ordering helicopers etc years ago...

I'm not really defending Harper..personally i don't really like him...but the government he runs is much more definitive. No run on polls like Martin's was...not a personal kingdom like Cretien's ..we will see about Dion, but he has history with all the stupid antics of past Liberal administrations...on top of it all this is now the 3rd Quebec leader makes you think the party is becoming more regional than the Bloc.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
1st it's the Liberals ever since Trudeau that tore apart the military,

I don't defend the Liberals on this issue but wasn't there about nine years of Mulroney in there somewhere?
2nd you don't just go out and pick a new plane off the shelf.

You do trials, you have bids, then they build them for you..yes it will take years..all more the reason why it was so stupid not to be ordering helicopers etc years ago...

I know how these things work but how long has Harper been in office? Ten months? Eleven months? I would have thought these things would have been ordered by now.

I'm not really defending Harper..personally i don't really like him...but the government he runs is much more definitive. No run on polls like Martin's was...not a personal kingdom like Cretien's ..we will see about Dion, but he has history with all the stupid antics of past Liberal administrations...on top of it all this is now the 3rd Quebec leader makes you think the party is becoming more regional than the Bloc.

I can see you don't like the liberals. Fair enough.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
It's not so much if like or dislike the Liberals so much as they really do think they are the nature party of Canada forgetting there is more to the country than Quebec and Ontario..I say that while living in Ontario..