Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
MPs pass motion calling for February election

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/11/21/ottawa-politics051121.html

Last Updated Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:48:06 EST
CBC News

Federal MPs have passed an NDP motion that calls on Prime Minister Paul Martin to dissolve Parliament in January for a Feb. 13 election.

But the minority Liberals immediately said they would ignore the non-binding motion, clearing the way for a no-confidence motion expected to take down the government next week.

The motion – which was introduced by NDP Leader Jack Layton and supported by the Conservatives and Bloc Québécois – passed by a vote of 167-129 on Monday night.

After the vote, Layton said he hoped it would spur a change of heart from Martin, who has repeatedly rejected opposition demands that he agree to make an election call in the first week of January.

Liberal House leader Tony Valeri responded by dismissing the motion as political posturing.

"It's not really a compromise, it's a cop-out that's an attempt to evade responsibility for causing an election during the Christmas holidays," Valeri said.

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper, with the backing of the NDP, had said he would move a no-confidence motion on Thursday if the Liberals disregarded the motion.

The Tory motion, which would be binding, would come to a vote on Nov. 28.

Harper said an election call next week could only be avoided if Martin changes his mind about accepting opposition demands to call a February election – or if the government prorogues Parliament.

It is expected to pass with the endorsement of the three opposition parties, which would mean an election would likely have to be called on Nov. 29.

The delay in the vote on the Tory's motion will allow an important meeting of federal, provincial and aboriginal leaders to go ahead.

Aboriginal leaders have been urging federal politicians not to trigger an election campaign that could derail the summit on First Nations affairs.

There has been speculation that the government may announce more than $4 billion in new programs at the meeting designed to help First Nations.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I dont see why the rush for an election. We will still have a liberal miniority. It is just a waste of tax dollars. I do not think after next election Harper (he will be gone if he does not win, I guess he does not grasp this) will be anymore co opertive in making the government work.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I love elections. In last 13 months I voted in Provincial By-election, General Provincial election, Municipal election and a Federal election coming up...but alas it will all end for a while after next federal election.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: It's Heeeeere

no1important said:
I love elections. In last 13 months I voted in Provincial By-election, General Provincial election, Municipal election and a Federal election coming up...but alas it will all end for a while after next federal election.

you come with a lot of "experience".

;-)

(maybe the feds will have another one just to keep the rhythm going.....;-)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It will solve something if the Conservatives allow it to and the Liberals start acting like a minority government...we can have a parliament that works for a change.

If that happens, we should be set for 24-36 months. If they decide to keep playing their shitty little games, we'll have another election within a year.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

no1important said:
There will more than likely be another federal election in 2007 if a miniority gets elected again. I am just looking forward to seeing Gurmant Grewal get the boot.

Believe it or not, so am I. And his wife too. But I doubt it will happen.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Well Grewal just squeaked in last time in a close 3 way race and the same "Big 3" are running again in a rematch. I know in last provincial election both provincial seats on the Surrey side of this larger federal riding went NDP. But I have a feeling this riding may go Liberal or NDP but it will be very close again and I will do my part to make sure Nancy Clegg wins it for NDP. It all depends on how many people actually get out and vote. Gurmant is not overly highly thought of in this area at moment.

I do believe though Nina Grewal has a lot better chance of winning re election than Gurmant. But I guess we will see in next couple months.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

no1important said:
Well Grewal just squeaked in last time in a close 3 way race and the same "Big 3" are running again in a rematch. I know in last provincial election both provincial seats on the Surrey side of this larger federal riding went NDP. But I have a feeling this riding may go Liberal or NDP but it will be very close again and I will do my part to make sure Nancy Clegg wins it for NDP. It all depends on how many people actually get out and vote. Gurmant is not overly highly thought of in this area at moment.

I do believe though Nina Grewal has a lot better chance of winning re election than Gurmant. But I guess we will see in next couple months.

Great!

You know, I always had the feeling Nina was a wallflower, completely dominated by her husband.

Now that I think about it, it would be great to see her win, and him loose! Her an MP, him a NOBODY!~ :D

I would love to see a Conservative majority, but we could do without Gurmant.. The man's a sleazeball. He should be a Liberal.

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
I think it's up to every voting Canadian to think very carefully about their choices for this election.
If people choose not to vote,then,in my eyes,they have no right to complain about the governance of our country.
It should be an interesting campaign.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Liberals roll out some big-ticket announcements

A frenzy of spending and other announcements by the minority Liberal government prompted the opposition parties to hold their own joint news conference, promising to work together in the future.

"Apparently having an imminent election produces a lot of action after 12 years of nothing," said NDP Leader Jack Layton on Tuesday.

ha ha how true.

Some current and expected announcements:

* $4.6 billion for new military transport aircraft
* $2 billion for about 86,000 natives who suffered physical and sexual abuse at residential schools
* $1 billion in aid for the softwood lumber industry
* A $4 billion announcement is expected at week's end during the first ministers' meeting on aboriginal issues

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Reverend Blair said:
It's election time alright.

yep, the symptoms and fever is building.

( wondering about the benefits to Ca society of having an election every six months........with these type of "symptoms"..;-)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I'd have one every day if it was up to me. You should watch Rick Mercer tonight if you still can. He's got a great thing on the election in his rant.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This election will be a useless,

pointless, expensive, exercise in futility. I don't know what Harper and Layton hope to get out of this election but the polls are never too far off. Harper will not win even a minority. I expect both Harper and Layton to lose at least a few seats each. I would say the liberals will gain a few seats but not a majority. I hope it is made clear that this stupid election will cost Canadians as much, if not more than the sponsership scandal and for what?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I think the Liberals and the Conservatives will both lose seats, and the BQ and NDP will gain, Juan. It won't change anything significantly though.

I really don't understand what the rush was. A few more weeks wouldn't have made a difference.

I understand the NDP stance that nothing was getting done, but nothing ever gets done at this time of year anyway. I think they felt pressured by all they Conservative accusations of propping up a corrupt government and then when Martin wouldn't move on health they felt they had to go. I think they should have gone with an offer on Broadbent's ethics package instead.

The Conservatives are just singing the same old song. I doubt they even understand what a real platform looks like.

What the hell though? Maybe we can go vote and then the bastards will work for a few years. I kind of doubt that...I think we'll go vote and parliament will look the same in spring 2006 as it did in spring 2005.

We'll likely get a new Conservative leader, but it'll be just as ugly.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Rev wrote:
I think the Liberals and the Conservatives will both lose seats, and the BQ and NDP will gain, Juan. It won't change anything significantly though.

I really don't understand what the rush was. A few more weeks wouldn't have made a difference.

Maybe part of the "rush" was that both Layton and Harper thought the Liberals might spend their way back into the good graces of the electorate. The Liberals have certainly spent a bit of money in the last week or so.

I still feel there is a chance that the people might punish the NDP and the CPC for bringing us an election over Christmas. I guess we'll know in about a month and a half.