Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Maybe, isn’t their another way?

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
With the recent comments by Imas Rap music has been put under the spotlight. The question is will rap music feel the reverbs of this “scandal” or well the public soon forget about it because of their short attention span. As for what I want, I am glad to see that at least people like Jessie Jackson are being somewhat consistent in that they are saying their should be one standard of decency. Of course in terms of how we should respond they believe our response should be different for a talkshow then for music.

In my opinion free speech is far more important in a talk show because without it we loose the ability for a free exchange of thoughts and ideas. We become unable to question the thought police. As for weather we should clean up rap, I am strong believer in free speech and I like rap music. I understand that it doesn’t have a good message but it is entertainment and expression. Just because someone listens to rap it doesn’t mean they are going to turn into a sexist gangster. Also I believe a little edge in music is good. Music isn’t suppose to be safe. It allows people to break out of the world where there is a steady beat and feel the energy and chaos that contrasts our boring mundane life.

White kids by rap because the burbs bores the heck out of them. On house after the other all the same where nothing ever happens and nothing goes down. They here rhymes of hardship and struggle, success and glory. The battle for survival and the glory of success. Rap music may objectify woman but I think ed the sock said it the best, “If you’re a rock star and virgin you miss the point”. The fantasy of sex drugs and rock and roll is as old as rock itself. The term rock and roll has sexual connotations and rap music gives us that and more. So in conclusion maybe rap should be cleaned up but it will really suck.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Rap music.. completely awful.. hate the genre in itself... listening to men bleep around words in rymes.. no thanks.

Really bad morals in their too.

Sure hope it starts to die out.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Rap or hip hop or urban or whatever you want to call it has it's great artists...and it's not so great artists...just like every genre. Rap has always been on the edge, controversial, often lame, often overblown...it's just what it is. I don't see it disappearing...it's pretty entrenched....and I'm tired, so nothing I write is making sense.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Rap music.. completely awful.. hate the genre in itself... listening to men bleep around words in rymes.. no thanks.

Really bad morals in their too.

Sure hope it starts to die out.
You are so right...we should all run out and buy Carrie Underwood CD's....she's so pure and clean and christian. Put that on at a party and watch the crowd go WILD!

Reactions: DurkaDurka

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
We have bible group parties with soda pop and Christian music, and while we listen to the Christian music we have a television screen that puts up our morals to abide by.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Edmonton is slum city, sad to say its even worse then Winnipeg.

High population of crime related people.. scum city as I like to call it.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I dunno...I prefer my heroin and cocaine parties with strippers and prostitutes...and a whole lotta that crazy rap music...:) It gets wild here in the big city!

Sounds like a fun party. I think I'd leave though if people started pulling out needles. :)