Huge New York Steaks

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The best recomendation is how the meat looks, smells, and feels to an educated consumer. The only time I ever
had a problem was twenty five odd years ago with a frozen turkey from a Super-Value store. The turkey was fine
until it thawed and then it stunk to high heaven. The store manager bent over backwards to please a very angry
customer. I was told that mine was the only rotten turkey in that particular shipment. Super-Value stores are not
around any more and I don't know if they changed their name or what, because I left the province for a few years,
but I've never again bought a frozen turkey.

PS. Super-Value stores are still around but I just haven't seen them.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I would think that a store that deliberately changes the "Best before" date when in fact the guarantee of quality has expired would be setting themselves up for a law suit, if not criminal charges. I would think if I for instance bought a steak or pork chops and brought them home and ate them right away and got sick, what the date said would be a moot point. I think the bottom line would be whether the manager and meat manager are reputable people, is more important than the chain.

They're all corporate shills aren't they?

Hey let's all go occupy the supermarket! I call the cookie aisle. ;)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The best recomendation is how the meat looks, smells, and feels to an educated consumer. The only time I ever
had a problem was twenty five odd years ago with a frozen turkey from a Super-Value store. The turkey was fine
until it thawed and then it stunk to high heaven. The store manager bent over backwards to please a very angry
customer. I was told that mine was the only rotten turkey in that particular shipment. Super-Value stores are not
around any more and I don't know if they changed their name or what, because I left the province for a few years,

Overwaitea

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I can remember two bad instances with meat, once at Overwaitea in Courtenay 30 odd years ago, bought a chicken that was absolutely rotten and once at Save On Foods in Burnaby I bought a roast that was absolutely rotten. Both refunded the money. When I took the roast back they had me come right into the meat department and no bullsh*t the stench was enough to knock a dead wh*re off a gut wagon.

Agassiz, British Columbia
Campbell River, British Columbia
Chetwynd, British Columbia
Coquitlam, British Columbia
Dease Lake, British Columbia
Faro, Yukon
Fraser Lake, British Columbia
Gibsons, British Columbia
Gold River, British Columbia
Houston, British Columbia
Kitimat, British Columbia
Langdale, British Columbia
Lumby, British Columbia
Martensville, Saskatchewan
North Vancouver, British Columbia
Oliver, British Columbia
Port Coquitlam, British Columbia
Port McNeill, British Columbia
Scotch Creek, British Columbia
Vancouver, British Columbia
Warman, Saskatchewan
West Vancouver, British Columbia

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Tonight I'll be cooking up some pork sirloin boneless chops ('bout 3kg's of
them) and a few chicken breasts to fill out the pan. I use an electric frying
pan that measures 14"x18" and is about 3&1/2" deep with a heavy glass
lid.

I'll season with some coarse-ground back pepper & some SPIKE, and will
brown each side for a few minutes on each side in some olive oil, then I
add low-sodium chicken broth ('bout 3/4" deep), turn the pan down to 300F,
cover, and simmer (topping up the broth every 10 minutes or so) for another
45 minutes to an hour or so.

This will produce pork cuts that can be chewed with your tongue and the
roof of your mouth. Near the end of the cooking time, I'll toss on top of the
meat a bag of frozen broccoli & carrots and such, that'll steam in the juice
from the meat and the chicken broth. Maybe I'll chop up & toss in a yellow
bell pepper....maybe an orange one instead....maybe both.

I'm thinking some snow peas in there too, and a Caesar Salad on the side.

I'll do up a rice dish on the stove (A pack of "Fine Herb & Wild Rice" and
another of "Broccoli & Cheddar" flavoured rice, mixed together) that I'll
then just throw on top of the meat and veggies in the big pan to let those
flavours all mix together.

That's one pot (from the rice) and one electric pan to wash up later on. Easy.
I'll feed my Kids, Myself, my Dogs, whomever happens to stop by, and still
freeze a couple of meals for other times when I just don't feel like cooking.

(Oh yeah.....SPIKE. It's a mix of salt and sea salt crystals, special high flavour
yeast, hydrolyzed vegetable protein (from soybeans), mellow toasted onion,
onion powder, orange powder, soy flour, celery leaf powder, celery root powder,
garlic powder, dill, kelp, Indian curry, horseradish, ripe white pepper, orange and
lemon peel, summer savory, mustard flour, sweet green and red bell peppers,
parsley flakes, tarragon, rosehips, saffron mushroom powder, parsley powder,
spinach powder, tomato powder, sweet Hungarian paprika, celery powder,
cayenne pepper, plus a delightful herbal bouquet of the best oregano,
sweet basil, marjoram, rosemary and thyme.)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Overwaitea
Nope. Overwaitea is many names but they did not buy out Super Valu. Super Valu just slowly died. Overwaitea = Save On Foods, Price Smart, Coopers, Urban Fare. The name Pattison is on many many things including every radio station in Nanaimo and many car dealerships across BC.
Saw JLM's comment and he's quite right. There are still several Super Valu stores open across BC and in other parts of Western Canada, and probably not named SV but owned by:

Super Valu is a chain of franchised and associated grocery stores in Canada that operates primarily in the western part of the country. In the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, many Super Valu stores were created from former Loblaws stores. Loblaw Companies Limited (through its Westfair Foods division) supplies Super Valu stores and owns the Super Valu name.
In the mid-1970s, a larger version of Super Valu was created. Dubbed the Real Canadian Superstore, these warehouse-sized grocery stores were closer to department stores in scope. By the mid-1990s, only a handful of smaller Super Valu stores remained (primarily in British Columbia) as most had either been rebranded as "Extra Foods" or expanded into Real Canadian Superstore outlets (or the related Real Canadian Wholesale Club).

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Ron in Regina;[FONT=Arial said:
parsley flakes, tarragon, rosehips, saffron mushroom powder, parsley powder, [/FONT]
spinach powder, tomato powder, sweet Hungarian paprika, celery powder,
cayenne pepper, plus a delightful herbal bouquet of the best oregano,
sweet basil, marjoram, rosemary and thyme.)

sounds wonderful, my kind of cooking. i'm going to buy some SPIKE today, thanks.